Earthquake!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:08 AM
Tech Master

Default Earthquake!

So funny...I moved out here to California from Colorado in late '99 and the first earthquake I experienced was a major event. Now, I'm so desensitized to them that it doesn't even phase me. I'm filling up a Super Big Gulp at 7-11 near work in Studio City when the bottles in the refrigerators start to rattle and the building starts to shake...I just chuckle, put the lid on and go pay as the people scurry around chattering nervously about it.

I think everyone who was here for the Northridge earthquake lives in fear of the "big one" hitting and all of us sliding off into the ocean. Somehow, they don't unnerve me anymore...even though the first one I ever experienced in my life was here. I live in LA because in my line of work, it's either this or New York; but between the cost of living, gas prices, earthquakes and people in general...there ain't a whole lot to recommend it, to be honest!

Edit: Meant to put this in the chat lounge, forgot which forum I was in when I posted it hehe...admins, feel free to move it!
Old 07-30-2008, 06:17 AM
Tech Regular

We never get them here (phew), but I'm pretty curious about what happens to all your stuff in your house? Asuming the house itself doesn't fall apart, what about sensitive and expensive technology items like TVs, computers, monitors, etc. What happens to them during an earthquake? o.o
Old 07-30-2008, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I was about an hour, maybe more from the CHino Hills quake. My friend lived in the same city and he felt it but I didnt.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shurcooL
We never get them here (phew), but I'm pretty curious about what happens to all your stuff in your house? Asuming the house itself doesn't fall apart, what about sensitive and expensive technology items like TVs, computers, monitors, etc. What happens to them during an earthquake? o.o

Unless something actually falls off the shelf or table and physically breaks, an earthquake has no ill effects on "sensitive" electronic equipment.

You have to be in pretty close proximity of the epicenter to have anything fall or get damaged.

I'm about 1 and half hours from yesterdays quake epicenter, and I felt my stool (my chair) ) and counter moving big time. My wife works 5 minutes from me and totally missed it. Half the people at my work felt it, the half was oblivious.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Tech Initiate

I felt it, I was at the barbershop though. Luckily they didn't mess up. But everything fell off the shelves and the tv and the tv holder in the upper corner of the building snapped off the wall and fell like a yard from me. But none of really flipped, the owners wife did over the phone, but they finished my cut, I payed and left. It doesn't phase us either. Haha
Old 07-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Tech Regular

What's the correct course of action during an Earthquake?

Aren't you supposed to try to leave buildings ASAP and get to open ground?

I guess it depends on severity... Interesting.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

I was sitting on the third floor of the Cal Poly Pomona Engineering building about 7 miles from the epicenter when the quake happened. It felt like the floor tiles were flexing and I think a couple even cracked. The teacher ran to the door and after it stopped he just went on with the lecture like nothing happened..... It was pretty weird. To top it off about 5 seconds before the quake he had written 2/3 in decimal form on the board but instead of rounding to .667 he wrote .666....
Old 07-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

I remember the Northridge quake waking me up only because my cat jumped over me running for cover. I woke up in the morning not thinking much of it and turn on the tv to see all sorts of devastation. I was in Long Beach for both Northridge and Whitter and neither seemed very big or scary to me. I also was in San Francisco when they had the last big one there and that thing scared the $hit out of me. That thing rolled and jerked all over the place.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

pretty wimpy earthquake

it was funny seeing all these people make such a big fuss over a little thing
Old 07-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mike Marshall
I remember the Northridge quake waking me up only because my cat jumped over me running for cover. I woke up in the morning not thinking much of it and turn on the tv to see all sorts of devastation. I was in Long Beach for both Northridge and Whitter and neither seemed very big or scary to me. I also was in San Francisco when they had the last big one there and that thing scared the $hit out of me. That thing rolled and jerked all over the place.
Hell of a track record!
How about letting us know when you will be back in Cal so I can change my travel plans.

Your not going to the Nat's are ya?
Old 07-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I was on the phone with airtronics, attempting to order even more cases for the junk ones they used on the DSSS cases (failed btw) and the girl was like WE JUST HAD AN EARTHQUAKE I WILL CALL YOU BACK. I was like yeah I felt it, no biggie.

Never got a call back either.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

last time i felt an earthquake was about 5 years ago, i was at work standing there and everything just started shaking, i was like woohoo c'mon after shocks, it was fun im glad i wasnt standing under the vehicle that was on the hoist 7ft. up in the air, that could have been scary.

As far as your stuf getting ruined at your house during an earthquake, thats pretty much the only thing i worry about since i have a 60 inch sony hi-def t.v. thats not straped down
Old 07-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Hehe...looks like I'm not the only one who's gotten used to the shakes out here!

Yeah, I think you're supposed to get outside when it happens...or if you can't, then get under something heavy like a good desk or table. Somehow I just stood there while it happened and finished topping off my drink, put the lid on and walked to the counter. It's kind of funny when it happens, my first thought is always "Wow that's a big truck driving by" or something along those lines. It always takes a second to register that it's a quake
Old 07-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
Hell of a track record!
How about letting us know when you will be back in Cal so I can change my travel plans.

Your not going to the Nat's are ya?

LOL I will be in LA that week, just not going to the nats!