Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
2wd versus 4wd? Which is faster on various tracks? >

2wd versus 4wd? Which is faster on various tracks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2wd versus 4wd? Which is faster on various tracks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 06:59 AM
Tech Regular

I'd say 2wd buggies come surprisingly close to the performance of 4wd ones on most tracks! I wouldn't expect that considering they have half the number of powered wheels. Of course, rear wheels probably do 90% of the work so the front wheels don't add that much. Nevertheless...
Old 07-31-2008, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

IMO...

A lot of 4wd folks in off-road use a "one-way" front diff... it makes the 4wd handle a lot like a 2wd in the corners..

If you are aggressive with your 4wd in the corners, don't use the one-way and you'll learn to power through every corner like mad!

To me, that's the appeal of running a 4wd...

Jerome
Old 07-31-2008, 03:06 PM
Tech Initiate

I would have to go with the 4wd. All four tires are pulling, which equals more traction.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yeah, I used to drive the RC10CE, then Losi LXT, then B4, then went to Academy SB Pro, then went to BJ4WE.

I can say that with the 2WD, I used to be a "Point and shoot" type of driver, where I would use the brakes going into a corner, then once it's pointed, just gun it.

With the 4WD, it's a lot different. If I enter the corner too slow, I tend to understeer, if I enter the corner too fast, my rear washes out, if I go into the corner just right, it doesn't even have to stop, I can power it through (around half throttle of course) then gun it as soon as the car is straight again... Huge difference in the way it's driven.

Also, the difference in 4WD I noticed are the jumps. It is a lot more sensitive to "corrections" in the air...

In terms of maintenance, 4WD is a pain in the ass... I missed the days of 2WD when the transmission was easily removed and you only had one set of drive shafts to worry about... But for the 60% of the tracks where there are no aggressive jumps or a hard bend, the 4WD seem to just zip along. Even when the car is slightly fish tailing, it's much easier to correct and straighten out then a 2WD in my experience...

That brings me to why I'm starting to be more curious about the DF-03 chassis of Tamiyas. It wasn't meant to be a competition car right out of the box, and some parts of the designs are atrocious (like the hingepins being molded with the tranny case), but the layout is akin to the 2WDs out there...

Oh well, back to building my B44...
Old 07-31-2008, 03:11 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I've noticed that my lap times between the two cars are only a second or so faster with the 4wd. I drive my 2wd a bunch more so that may be part of the reason. I know that if the track gets really slick then the 4wd really outshines the 2wd.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I agree i average a around a second a lap faster with my 4wd. I don't think a 4wd should be driven hard whatsoever, in fact overdriving one will just slow you down.

I also think a 4wd is faster in the fact i have more contol in the air when leveling or downsiding jumps.

Start with 2wd learn the skills then go 4wd.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by B4 Racer1
4wd is always faster...
Not quite true. I just recently was racing and my B44 broke. Can't remember what it was, but anyways, I switched to my B4. There was only one car that beat me and he got a good jump at the start. Mind you that every car except for 2 were all 4wd. There was one other 2wd out there.

A good part depends on the driver and his (or her) abilities. The other is traction.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
IMO...

A lot of 4wd folks in off-road use a "one-way" front diff... it makes the 4wd handle a lot like a 2wd in the corners..

If you are aggressive with your 4wd in the corners, don't use the one-way and you'll learn to power through every corner like mad!

To me, that's the appeal of running a 4wd...

Jerome
I've got a one-way in the front of my B44. I drive quite aggressively into corners. But I learned to deal with the rear end coming around with 2wd. I like it break loose a bit. But coming out of the corners, the front grabs hold and pulls the rear in line quite nicely. Depends on personal preference I suppose.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:39 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zardoz
Not quite true. I just recently was racing and my B44 broke. Can't remember what it was, but anyways, I switched to my B4. There was only one car that beat me and he got a good jump at the start. Mind you that every car except for 2 were all 4wd.
What were you doing, running in the Visually Impared Class?
Old 08-01-2008, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by zardoz
Not quite true. I just recently was racing and my B44 broke. Can't remember what it was, but anyways, I switched to my B4. There was only one car that beat me and he got a good jump at the start. Mind you that every car except for 2 were all 4wd. There was one other 2wd out there.

A good part depends on the driver and his (or her) abilities. The other is traction.
I bet you times were still faster with YOUR B44 over YOUR B4 though....You can't compare against different drivers at the track due to ability differences.