Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
T3 still competitive? >

T3 still competitive?

T3 still competitive?

Old 07-20-2008, 06:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Default T3 still competitive?

I have an old T3 that I've been fixing up here and there, but I'm wondering if I should just buy a T4 or XXX-T kit and build that instead. Is there gonna be a huge difference in the performance of these trucks or should I just stick with the T3?
Old 07-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

IMO, if you have the dough get a XXX-T CR. I believe its the best truck out right now. Someone else could speak as to if the T3 can still can compete, but why sink money in to an obsolete truck?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

T3 can still compete and parts are still available and being produced for it. On the club level it will hang just fine.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm not really sinking any money into the T3, it's pretty much ready to go. Most of the guys in my club run XXX-Ts and a few have T4s. Right now I'm running a B4 with them but I get crushed and taken advantage of the whole race because my car is so much smaller.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think that it has past its peak and not really competitive EVEN at club level

I would maybe suggest a team associated T4
Old 07-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Any of the chassis` made by losi and AE are very competitive even today, it all comes down to the setup and driver, tyres are a major reason why todays cars are a lot faster than 10 years go, throw some of the newer treads on these 10 year old cars and play with the setups a bit and they still handle very good. If you are running stock i would say they definately are competitive, in modified it depends on the amount of power you are planning to run through it, the newer trucks are more suited to high HP.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Do you have any spare parts for the T3 or do they carry T3 parts at your local hobby shop?
Old 07-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Tech Initiate

My local hobby shop has a good of T3 stuff still so parts aren't a big deal. I'm running it in mod though.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Well, I'm a die-hard T3 fan who has been running it (more than one actually) since I started racing (at which time they were the current associated truck). This past week I tried an XXX-t with the stock setup from the manual. Every place that was hard with the T3 (meaning jumps) on my off road track was suddenly easy with the XXX-T. I couldn't believe the difference. At least for out-door off-road, I'm using the XXX-T from now on. I'll stick with my T3s for oval and indoor off-road (carpet).
Old 07-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The T3 is still competitive!!! even beyond club level.
Parts are carried by most hobby shops and if all else fails you can use Thunder Tiger Phoenix st parts ,which is a T3 with TTR name on it.Just like the TTR Phoenix buggy is a B3 and the TTR Phoenix gt is the Associated gt truck.Parts ARE compatible between the two brands!!
The Thunder Tiger trucks are a current models and any shop that sells TTR can get you the parts or look on line.
Just given you another choice for parts.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have and have raced both and while I must admit there are some noticeable stability improvements with the T4, the T3 is very competitive in the right hands. I think you will be just fine with the T3 and just wait Associated out because the time has come for some kind of revision. They have to keep you guessing.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I get kind of irritated when people say stuff like "its still fine at the club level"--I am talking about any old car not just the T3. I don't know where you guys race but at our track we have some seriously good racers who could run with success at any track in the country (not including myself!!), not trying to sound elitist but that is a fact. There is no way I am going to put myself at a disadvantage before the race even starts by running outdated equipment. Even if I am against guys of equal skill, they are going to have a much easier time and a better result in a T4 or XXXCR. If I want to win or at least do well, why would I put myself at a competitive disadvantage by running an outdated car?

The car is fine for bashing or practice laps, for actual racing I don't get why someone would run one. As soon as the original xxxt came out a number of years ago (?) it virtually rendered the T3 obsolete. Just as the xxx buggy put an end to the B3.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Tech Adept

My racing pal runs a FT T3 just because it was cheaper for him to start off with. I run a FT T4. The handling differences on our local indoor clay high bite and local outdoor tracks is huge. We both copied the pro's set-ups so we are both getting the most of our trucks. We switch back and forth during practices and the T4 handles much better. I wish he'd go buy a t4 and stop making me drive his old t3. I honestly don't even enjoy driving it because it handles so much worse then my T4.
My $0.02
If I liked Losi I'd have one of them. I believe they are a better truck. I've just had enough of losi's and refuse to own one. i still say wait and buy the K truck
Old 07-22-2008, 01:37 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i'd honestly score a t4, it'll be an easy transition for you. to be quite honest, keep the t3 as a backup truck, never know when u might need it!

R
Old 07-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Suspended

On the club level, that's no more competitive that others are running XXX-Ts, I see little reason to justify the expense.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.