Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Another 1/10 indoor offroad track in SoCal! >

Another 1/10 indoor offroad track in SoCal!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another 1/10 indoor offroad track in SoCal!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 12:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Another 1/10 indoor offroad track in SoCal!

What do you think?

A new new 1/10 scale indoor offroad track in socal. I know OCRC recently opened their doors, how about seeing two track within 15 miles of each other. This one in the lakewood or south LA area. What do you want to see: a larger track, onroad and offroad, different hours, different dirt, larger facility.

But there has to be more, don't you want more! I want the old, old socal with a huge track and rock and roll music. I want to see more pro guys who can answer question and a better hobby shop.

Tell me what you want socal. I like OCRC, it's a great track and great people who run there. I've been there a couple of times and it looks really fun.

Please be honest, I'm going to invest a lot of money on this track and I want your opinion.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

my honest opinion: I run off-road only, and having two off-road tracks would be cool. HOWEVER, I feel bad for the on-road guys. Instead of competing against OCRC and ending up splitting the audience by half (which would hurt them and you), why not open a second track but on-road? I hate to see OCRC close like SoCal, so why not do a track that's mutually exclusive (on-road)...

Gyro Hobby isn't too shabby... They have a decent price and a very knowledgeable staff: the guy who helped me today pointed out that the B44 knuckle isn't a direct fit for my BJ4WE and even reminded me that it was a Losi knuckle...

OCRC is enough for me, a closer one would be ideal, but I hate to see two tracks open and have both close its doors due to not enough participants...
Old 07-20-2008, 02:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think if you're going to be that close to OCRC, it needs to be pretty different. Otherwise you're just hurting each other.

If you build an offroad track, I say make it 8th scale size. Electric 8th is gonna be huge. Let OCRC cater to 10th scalers.

Please build a 10th onroad track. I was cryin when socal closed. Bending corners, tamiya track, and the other parking lot races are cool, but they're only open 1 day a week. An onroad facility open 6 days a week would be AWESOME!
Old 07-20-2008, 06:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Ditto what the other guys said. Opening a 2nd off road track so close is a bad business move if nothing else. Open a track with a type of racing that doesn't present such direct competition so close by. You'll both do better for it.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:33 AM
Tech Regular

Look at the number of "Electric On-Road" forum posts at rctech.net...857,131

Look at the number of "Electric Off-Road" forum posts at rctech.net...181,698

Are you able to deduce anything about market size or user enthusiasm from those numbers?

These are of course numbers from world wide users, not people only in the Los Angeles area...perhaps the owners of rctech can do a filter for you and only give you results of people from Los Angeles IP addresses.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Tech Regular

Before investing money in a race track, please take a step back and look at this graph from the Harvard Business Review:

This graph is from the article here: http://harvardbusinessonline.hbsp.ha...ticleID=R0801E

Please keep in mind that we are only at the start of a projected two year recession...it hasn't even starting getting bad yet.

If you want to run a Racetrack for fun, of course go for it!

If you want to invest in a business (to make money), are there better and more profitable industries for you to get involved with?

Last edited by haulin79; 07-20-2008 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:07 AM
DN
Tech Apprentice

I run both off road and on road and was bummed when SoCal closed. They had the best of both worlds. I think if you open a track, on road would be better. This way you are not competing with someone who has the same thing. Offering something different then the compition is better. Im pretty sure all the on road guys would be glad to have a track closer to this area that is open more than once a week. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I agree that onroad would be the better choice, just to keep the #'s up at both tracks. If you are not into the onroad thing, watch OCRC to get a solid idea of where the demand is after the excitement of a new track dies off. If they are still going strong in a year (regardless of a harsh economy & RB has not kicked your arse yet) you can make a more informed decision. I would suggest being closer to LA in order to target a different geographic area to avoid choking out each track's attendance. Bottom line - don't make investments that are already risky in a good economy, be patient, you have the perfect guinea pig to watch with OCRC.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

I agree that onroad would be the better choice, just to keep the #'s up at both tracks. If you are not into the onroad thing, watch OCRC to get a solid idea of where the demand is after the excitement of a new track dies off. If they are still going strong in a year (regardless of a harsh economy & RB has not kicked your arse yet) you can make a more informed decision. I would suggest being closer to LA in order to target a different geographic area to avoid choking out each track's attendance. Bottom line - don't make investments that are already risky in a good economy, be patient, you have the perfect guinea pig to watch with OCRC.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Angry

Originally Posted by downtempo
X 2? @#$@! Sorry..
Old 07-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If geographic spacing is an issue, I know the San Gabriel Valley is pretty devoid of tracks... (unless you race Mini-Z) Go 626!
Old 07-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

San Diego needs an indoor off road track!!!
Old 07-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by deskwarmer
If you build an offroad track, I say make it 8th scale size. Electric 8th is gonna be huge. Let OCRC cater to 10th scalers.
I agree also. Electric 1/8th scale is gonna blow up here very soon!! A track large enough to handle them would be great (gotta have good nets though). Yet an awesome indoor on-road would be VERY Very nice.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default LA area tracks...

I think if you could get a LA county track going you might to pretty well if your location rent isn't too much... The only off-road LA county track I can remember in the nearly 2 decades I've been running was "The Race Place" in the industrial part of Santa Fe Springs.. and that was around 15 or so years ago... Now it was a different time for RC back then..tons of tracks out in the IE.. and not to mention The Ranch.. but that was barely in LA county..

You have 2 choices if you live in the LA area... OCRC in Huntington Beach.. or out to Hot Rod near Santa Clarita in Saugus.. That's a whole lot of real estate in between....

I think if you find a freeway close location and run on days not competing with other tracks.. you might find you can pull from far away!

I wish you luck!

Jerome
Old 07-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Chuck67
I agree also. Electric 1/8th scale is gonna blow up here very soon!! A track large enough to handle them would be great (gotta have good nets though). Yet an awesome indoor on-road would be VERY Very nice.
I think indoor electric 8th scale would be awesome. You would definitely see me there. I think it would work out great. Just look at Pegasus and Revelations. They are like less than 5 miles from each other and both seem to be doing well. An on road track would be awesome too! I miss socal's old on road and off road tracks. Best thing is you would have something to do between mains. However, if you added an on road track I think my RC budget would go through the roof!! I may need to sell off my first born child

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.