Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Another 1/10 indoor offroad track in SoCal! >

Another 1/10 indoor offroad track in SoCal!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another 1/10 indoor offroad track in SoCal!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Mixing gas with electric indoors at the same time would be a turn off for me (others as well?). Gas indoors (even well ventilated) makes for some very pungent odors for those of us not running the gas car. It would also keep most kids under 12 from attending the facility because of the noise (kids don't seem to like noise that they themselves are not making). I think a gas only day would be better than mixing the gas program with the electric (It also sucks to be the last electric guy marshaling for the first gas race (race for 4-5 minutes and marshal for 6-8). All that said I'd love to see an indoor off-road race facility in the general location stated in this thread.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ckaspar
I don't think that the dust will be too big of a deal. So Cal used to have asphalt and dirt in the same building and I don't remember it being a big problem.

I think a couple good vacuums would work.
3 questions
is SoCal still around?
did you do the vacumming or are you assuming it magically took care of itself?
have you ever run a place that had to deal with the concern?
Old 07-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oxymoron
3 questions
is SoCal still around?
did you do the vacumming or are you assuming it magically took care of itself?
have you ever run a place that had to deal with the concern?
Well, to be fair, the dirt and asphalt tracks across from each other is not the reason that So Cal is not around. There were other contributing factors to the closure.

You mean it did not magically take care of itself? But seriously, if a dirt track is closed during practice or between heats for maintenance then getting a copuple of guys out there on the onroad track to clean up the dust should not be that big of a deal. I mean how much dust is going to get over there in the first place? At OCRC, to use a track that is open as an example, has a pool table, foosball table, and a kyosho mini track just on the other side on the pits and I don't see piles of dirt over there.

And lastly, I wish I had been into RC enough to run Onroad and Offroad at the same track, i.e. So Cal but alas as you mentioned before, they are closed. I would love the chance and if someone is willing to put their time and energy into building another track in So Cal and it has Onroad and Offroad I would certainly be there, the days I am not at OCRC that is
Old 07-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by stitchy
Not sure you'll wanna do that. My Slash would drop more dirt than it would pick up!
Haha I would mount a dirt devil on my Academy SBV2 but I might drop more parts on the track than dirt!
Old 07-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Suspended

But seriously, if a dirt track is closed during practice or between heats for maintenance then getting a copuple of guys out there on the onroad track to clean up the dust should not be that big of a deal. I mean how much dust is going to get over there in the first place?
i'm not looking to get into a long drawn out fight over this, but I actually did operate a indoor 1/2 dirt 1/2 carpet facility years ago and I can tell you from practical experience that the dirt and fine dust never goes away no matter how much vaccuming you do. all the extra manhours does is add to the unprofitability of the place
Old 07-24-2008, 01:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

i'm not looking to get into a long drawn out fight over this, but I actually did operate a indoor 1/2 dirt 1/2 carpet facility years ago and I can tell you from practical experience that the dirt and fine dust never goes away no matter how much vaccuming you do. all the extra manhours does is add to the unprofitability of the place

Oxy is right....tracks in riverside, huntington beach and in las vegas have had problems with the two tracks side by side. There would need to be a seperation (wall or seperate room) to prevent dust and problems with traction.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Believe me, nor do I. I was hoping that you would read the majority of my note as sarcasm, espescially the part about dust magically disappearing.

I suppose that you had you stated what you had stated above in the first post then there would have been little for me to say. Please understand that a lot of people say things on these threads based on personal beliefs, as I did in my reply to you. If readers don't have anything to read that is going to backup someone's opinion or position then it is some people's nature to question their beliefs.

If you go to OCRC and I ever meet you you will see that I am no wallflower and am not afraid to questions someone's statements about how to run or tune or whatever. Now that is not to say I won't take suggestions on those things, I jusst to understand where they are coming from in their opinions.

I just feel bad for this guy who is trying to build us another awesome facility and whenever he has a suggestion/plan/idea they just poop on it and say "Well that will never work" without any real reason other than "because I said so".

I hope you understand. No hard feelings on my side and hope to see you and both of our great, top of the line, premier, world-renowned R/C tracks that we will one day have in So Cal.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Suspended

Believe me, nor do I. I was hoping that you would read the majority of my note as sarcasm, espescially the part about dust magically disappearing.

I suppose that you had you stated what you had stated above in the first post then there would have been little for me to say. Please understand that a lot of people say things on these threads based on personal beliefs, as I did in my reply to you. If readers don't have anything to read that is going to backup someone's opinion or position then it is some people's nature to question their beliefs.

If you go to OCRC and I ever meet you you will see that I am no wallflower and am not afraid to questions someone's statements about how to run or tune or whatever. Now that is not to say I won't take suggestions on those things, I jusst to understand where they are coming from in their opinions.

I just feel bad for this guy who is trying to build us another awesome facility and whenever he has a suggestion/plan/idea they just poop on it and say "Well that will never work" without any real reason other than "because I said so".

I hope you understand. No hard feelings on my side and hope to see you and both of our great, top of the line, premier, world-renowned R/C tracks that we will one day have in So Cal.
sorry, my mistake. i guess i was just so in agreement with ratherB (below) and hoping the first guy would take him up on his idea i was trying to dispell any belief that dirt and carpet in the same building doesn't work. no hard feelings. again, my mistake.

Originally Posted by ratherBracin
A concept that hasn't really ever been thought about here in the States, and especially in Cali with its generally great weather, is a multi-use facility. And in multi-use I mean a carpeted indoor facility that can cater to a lot of different classes by the simple implementation and/or removal of jumps and obsticles as is more the norm in Europe where the weather sucks all the time.

Now before anyone blows a gasket hear me out.
The problem as I see it with any permanent, espcially indoor, facility is the rent and/or land costs involved with such an endeavor as well as having enough racers of any particular class or format regularly involved in the programs to support it pay the bills. Everybody always says, "I'll be there" - but the fact of the matter is that one way or another they aren't, and definately not all the time. Which is what you need. Part of the problem is because like with any hobby, be if golf or tennis or whatever, is that people really only have one day (or two days max) each week to pursue it.
And then you have to decide if it's going to be pavement, or dirt, or carpet, or off-road and suddenly no matter which route you choose to go one way or another you've pigeoholed yourself into such a small part of the market that you're missing out on all the rest.

I luv dirt, but I'm man enough to admit that it's a mess. Whether it be the dust that seemingly goes everywhere or the water needed that turns to mud, or need to keep the track groomed, one way or another it's a lot of work. I've been doing a lot of reading on db's in Europe and they do all sorts of off-road racing on carpet or astroturf tracks, in part because of the lack of maintenance involved and also because their weather turns dirt to muck and goo, both indoor and outdoor.

So my suggestion, as I started to say above, is to have a permanently carpeted indoor facility - and that way it doesn't matter if it's raining or snowing or Thursday out - and each day of the week set it aside for a different class of practicing (days) and racing (nights).

Sunday = closed
Monday = 1/8th electric off-road
Tuesday = 1/12 on-road
Wednesday = 1/10th on-road
Thursday = 1/18th on-road
Friday = 1/18th off-road
Saturday = 1/10th off-road

This way your facility attracts not only the larger scales of off-roaders, but but also the on-road guys, as well as the micro and mini-scales that have been growing in popularity (in case you've been asleep). They each get their own night, everybody's happy, and you attract a diverse crowd of racers and customers
Old 07-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

I think a more centrally located, really nice on-road track would be more desirable than another off-road one; there is a lack of good touring car style tracks in SoCal - it's what made me initially make the switch from on road to off road driving, when I was getting started (well, that and the jumps). There's not a ton of competition out there for a track like that, right now.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well i still think san diego needs a indoor track similar to the old so cal or just simply off road only like oc/rc. There are alot of people down here that would love this without the 100mile drive
Old 07-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Well said Tater. Us San Diego guys need one too. No one likes driving that far...
Old 07-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Smile

SO CAL RC { BIGGER/BETTER }
Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Smile

MY VOTE. YES.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

I am a offroad guy but, I just think that onroad would do really well. Besides, gas cars indoors will never fly in Cali, we have too many rules. Onroad, as someone stated earlier, just look at how many electric post there are compared to the rest!!!!!! There are all forms of onroad. Look at Yatabe Arena in Japan. That is my dream track I think I am more affraid of OCRC conflict. Wish there was a way to take a nice vote!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have no idea what building space goes for right now but nearly every furniture store in socal in going out of business. I wish i had the capitol to turn an od Levitz store into a RC wonderland. You would have room for everything from Helis to mini-z's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.