R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-15-2008, 09:39 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to cmain

I have all three and can say you can't go wrong with any of them.

Some pro's and cons of each

Mamba max
This thing is a tank it can take anything you throw at it. I have run an electric 1\8, dirt oval and b44 all with no problems. It is also by far the easiest to set you plug it in type what you want and push the button.

Good all around Speedo smooth for racing and has a reverse setting for practice. Plus the Novak motors are great.

By far the smoothest of the 3 if you just race this is probably the choice for you.

Mamba max
While the mamba is super smooth 99.9% of the time it can occasionally cog especially if you happen to roll backwards.

The thing is freaking huge, has a cap hanging off of it and a pos fan that you will break.

No reverse and it is the worst to set up. goofy red light, green light, half red half green light is just stupid.
cmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:46 PM   #17
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Im running an LRP Sphere comp with an Orion 7.5 Vortex
LRP or Novak would be good Tekins are also good.
jag5508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:17 AM   #18
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Maybe you should think twice about a Mamba? The selection of motors for sensorless ESC's is basically Castle and thats it. Get a good comp level sensored speedo, then your selection of motors is limitless. And I would NOT recommend choosing any of your electronics, or anything for that matter, based on how flashy a companies website looks! But, if any of you really want a Mamba, right HERE looks like a great deal that wont last long.
jla8874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:29 AM   #19
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The Sphere probably is the best ESC. Everybody raves about its smoothness and brakes. Its only downside I can think of is that its expensive compared to the Mamba.

After running a 4600, I am ready to move up to a 5700 but I wouldnt recommend the 6900/7700 motors for racing. They are probably too much.

I havent tried them personally, but, I've heard that Trinity Duos and new Tekin motors will work with the Mamba esc.
Ed Toth

LCRC Raceway and Bumps & Jumps.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:44 AM   #20
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Did you guys have to resort to filing down the slot that's cut out for the 4WD buggies/touring chassis? I read that on oOple that not all brushless cans are the same size...
tom_chang79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #21
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm curious to hear what the group thoughts regarding the Teken RS ESC? I've heard they are very smooth and feature rich. I'm also considering their Redline BL motors.
TLR-22T, RB5/ZX5, DEX408
Spectrum DXR3R
bprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:13 AM   #22
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
Based on my last few months of intensively reading forums, I would also recommend .......
This is probably the worst way to get a recommendation.
No practical experience.

No offense, but come on...................
rocket-mtrsprts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rocket-mtrsprts View Post
This is probably the worst way to get a recommendation.
No practical experience.

No offense, but come on...................
Haha, yeah, I realize that sounds pretty lame, and that's why I it was the first thing I put down - to take my comment as it is.

I'm not a big reviewer company like TomsHardware.com or a rich bastard, so I can't afford to buy all 10+ brushless systems, test them all out one by one in order to decide which is the best one. Unfortunately, the best I could do was read forums and see what others were saying.

That's the thing about this hobby (when you're completely new, as I am), there are no professional review sites doing proper benchmarks that can be verified on all the products there are out there, unlike how it is for Computer components (it's so easy to find out which CPU/gfx card is the best value, etc.). You have to resort to base your decisions on the *opinions* of other people, and their anecdotal experiences... Not the most accurate way... But better than guessing blind.

That is, IMO, much better than basing my purchase decision based on the manufacturer's site, how it looks and what they've written there. That was how I started out (having no better clue), but now at least I have 3+ months of reading forums under my belt lol (probably over 200 hours lol, I really have no money to afford to make a mistake). I've already ordered a MM5700 so I will have some experience with it in the future. Hopefully I've made the right decision, but I think so.
shurcooL is offline   Reply With Quote