R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-26-2003, 10:06 AM   #16
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

First, you need to find a good baseline setup... Where you get that setup is up to you... Guys at your track, online forums, set-up sheets from pro drivers or just the baseline out of the box setup... Drive the car/truck/buggy and watch it closely, see what the car does... Keep a notebook handy and jot down your thoughts... Something like XXX Main can help you with the basic principles of what you do and a basic why... Watch what others are running with the same vehicle at your track... Whenever I build a new vehicle I will take it to the track with the manufactures settings... I don't know how it will handle yet so I go just to see what the heck it's going to do... I really don't tinker with it much, just drive it... Then I go home and I make what necessary changes I feel it needs... I go back to the track and now I make the fine adjustments... I absolutely hated my T4 with the factory settings, I gave up with it and actually ran my 10T... I've had 12 years with that truck and I know what it's going to do... Now I have my T4 where I want it, took me a few hours at the kitchen table, but now I have something that fits MY driving style... You'll learn what to do as time goes on... Just don't play with more than one adjustment at a time and make very small adjustments...

As for a little explanation on springs and oil... Smoother tracks will allow you to use heavier springs and oil for more high speed stability... Bumpier tracks will require a lighter spring/oil combo in most cases... You don't want to go so heavy that you have no suspension action or so light that you constantly bottom out... It's a happy medium and every car/track/person is different... I like a car that will almost spin out on every corner, could someone else who isn't used to that drive it, probably not... But that's my driving style... But my setup allows me to dive to the inside and brake real late to pass...
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 08:19 AM   #17
Tech Addict
Send a message via AIM to 2mcgrath Send a message via Yahoo to 2mcgrath

you can learn alot from just playing around with your settings...dont be scared to play around with them thats a great way to learn and to find settings you like...
2mcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote