Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Mamba Max 5700kv in a B4 (gears & Batt.) >

Mamba Max 5700kv in a B4 (gears & Batt.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mamba Max 5700kv in a B4 (gears & Batt.)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)
Default Mamba Max 5700kv in a B4 (gears & Batt.)

Ok guy's i need some advice. I have a factory team b4 with a mamba max 5700kv brushless motor and esc . I need to know of a good lipo battery and the correct gears to put in this car. Links to buy this all would help also. I also would like to have a very high top speed without sacrificing much tq. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou
Old 07-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Justpassedu
Ok guy's i need some advice. I have a factory team b4 with a mamba max 5700kv brushless motor and esc . I need to know of a good lipo battery and the correct gears to put in this car. Links to buy this all would help also. I also would like to have a very high top speed without sacrificing much tq. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou
Orion or trakpower lipo is good.

The SMC i hear is good as well. Buy it LIR and support your local track.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

yeah im gonna stop by lir this weekend and pick up some parts , but that doesnt really answer my questions. I need to know of a good powerfull battery and the correct gears for my b4 . the gears i have in it are whatever came in the ft b4 stock when i built it. Not to sure on gearing though , i dont have much experiance in this department.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Your going to have to just get a set of pinions, and try them untill you find what you like. You also need to consider runtime and heat when it comes to wanting high speed. There are so many things to consider with what you want.

Answer these questions.

What type of run time would you like?

The answer would help with picking the battery.

What type of speed area would you like to be in on the top end?

This will help a person using your same setup allready say hay i got that speed with this gearing, and runtime was shorter because of the high gearing, or was longer because of the lower gearing.

Do you plan on racing your car?

This will have and effect on what battery is suggested because there are some that are not allowed, and some that are.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Tech Champion

yeah im gonna stop by lir this weekend and pick up some parts , but that doesnt really answer my questions. I need to know of a good powerfull battery and the correct gears for my b4 . the gears i have in it are whatever came in the ft b4 stock when i built it. Not to sure on gearing though , i dont have much experiance in this department.
I don't use mamba's so i can't tell you what that motor is equivilant too, In the lipo department your looking to run at lir and those are the lipo's your allowed to use. No maxamps are allowed cause they have to be roar approved.

Trakpower, smc, and orion's take your pick on capacity. They are good powerful batteries. You need to have a roar approved hard case lipo to run at the track.

what is athe 5700k motor equivalent to "turn" wise ? try a 19 - 20t i guess. check and see if it's hot.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

i work every day so im not really looking to race and if i do wanna race i have another esc and batteries to switch to , also a motor . I plan on coming and messing around on sundays with what i have at the raceway , just like i always have in the past. i dont have the time to compete at the moment. . back to the questions i would like a fairly long run time , high top speed and decent tq. Not 2 sure on what the motor is equal to turn rise but ill find out and let you know.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

i work every day so im not really looking to race and if i do wanna race i have another esc and batteries to switch to , also a motor . I plan on coming and messing around on sundays with what i have at the raceway , just like i always have in the past. i dont have the time to compete at the moment. . back to the questions i would like a fairly long run time , high top speed and decent tq. Not 2 sure on what the motor is equal to turn rise but ill find out and let you know.
Oh ok, you can use the mamba you just can't use soft lipo's at the track.

you wanna rip down the street go buy a 3s lipo and a pinion kit 48 pitch. Gear it till your happy and the motor isn't blazing hot. Your good to go.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

i have a 4s lipo that i charged up like 2 years ago and never used yet , maybe it still works ill try it out. but i need some advice on gearing , this is my weak point in the rc world.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Tech Champion

i have a 4s lipo that i charged up like 2 years ago and never used yet , maybe it still works ill try it out. but i need some advice on gearing , this is my weak point in the rc world.
The mamba might be able to handle a 4s you should check though.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Tech Adept

You will need to use a UBEC and mabee a fan for 4 cell lipo on that MM. Ive never heard of four cells being used on a 5700. But have seen it work on a 3500 VXL motor with a MM ESC.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

well ill prob. just purchase some new batts. from maxamps , i dont trust such a powerfull batt. and i dont wanna run a fan. whats a ubec?
Old 07-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Tech Regular

Don't use the 4s with the 5700 motor! A 4s Lipo would be around 14.8V, and since the motor is 5700kV (RPM/volt), you will get a max RPM of 14.8 * 5700 = 84'000 RPM! That is past the motor's max rpm threshold (which is probably around 60-70k), and its internal magnets will likely shatter. Source: Castle FAQ Q12. (as a side note, the Mamba Max ESC will actually handle up to 4s with lower kV aka higher turn, or slower motors, but you'll need a fan and an external BEC in that case... people use them for 1/8 scale buggy conversions)

Other than that, I can't help you much because I don't have a B4. However, I've already ordered a MM5700 and I am planning to get a B4 for it... So I'll be interested to see if anyone can post some good B4 setups with MM5700: what battery, what gears.

Oh, I can think of one source that might help you with the gearing/battery/speed of a B4, assuming it's equivalent to T4 - none other than Castle's own site:
http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...ring_chart.pdf

For example, with a 2s battery, using the stock Spur gear and a 16-21 tooth Pinion, you should get about 40 mph.

P.S. BEC, or UBEC stands for Universal Battery Eliminator Circuit and it basically means a device that turns the output from your battery to a nice and smooth 5-6V output to power your receiver and servos, etc. Castle has a 10Amp one. Its job is to offload some of the work from the ESC... but you only need that for 1/8 scale conversions or something, otherwise if you use 2s-3s Lipo on a 1:10 car, you will not need it. Just use MM itself (it has an internal BEC built-in). I'm just explaining what the previous poster told you.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Tech Adept

Even with 2-3 cell lipo a UBEC is not needed, but will still help keep ESC temps down even lower...

Last edited by MajorPede; 07-09-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah I guess that's true, the ESC temps should be slighly lower since it has less work to do. However, I don't think the MM esc should have problems with overheating, unless it's not geared properly or something, right?
Old 07-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Can you guys point me in the right direction of what gearing i should be using and a battery , i have the 5700kv motor and mamba max speed control. Any advice would be great - Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.