Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Associated Off Road Desert Truck ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The appearance of the Slash really doesnt do it for me. It looks kind of ponderous and bloated. I think the current crop of stadium trucks are the epitome of cool. Tight bodies wrapped around chasis with rediculously low centers of gravity with large dish wheels exending well beyond the shell.

I think the success of the slash has more to do about its performance, or lack there-of, compared to the existing stadium trucks. Its just a reflection of just how fast RC vehicles have become and how difficult they can be to drive with all of that speed.

I cant deny that they are inexpensive and fun, but, they also arrive with the worst RTR radios in the industry which makes it almost impossible to race them. Unless of course, you spend another $100 for a decent radio which puts the price around $300.

Sorry, but, for that entry fee, I would rather have a Team T4, Sidewinder 5700 and FM radio for not that much more.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Ae win`s world championships , Traxxx`s ? None ....

case closed ...
Well I'm not after a world championship. I'm just after some good old side by side realistic looking racing with my friends in our back yards, front yards, and parking lots. Thats the motivation behind the sales of the Traxxas vehicles. Im sure to a hardcore racer a company that wins championships is very impressive. To most of us that means nothing. I would never say there cars are not any good, but not what I want, or what I am after. So go out and get another championship AE, Mabee I will here about it.

Ed Im sure the bodys are going to get alot better looking when the aftermarket starts pumping them out. I must say I dont care much for alot of stock shells other than HPIs and a few others.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:29 AM
Suspended

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Ed237
they also arrive with the worst RTR radios in the industry which makes it almost impossible to race them. Unless of course, you spend another $100 for a decent radio which puts the price around $300.
And this is somehow different that ANY other RTR on the market?

Like the Slash or hate 'em, that's your choice.
But to try and turn this into a radio or electronics discussion is pretty dumb.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:43 AM
Tech Master

Traxxas refusal to sell their vehicles as kits or ARR without radios is an obvious flaw in their otherwise brilliant marketing stratagies.

A lot of RTR cars are now equipped with FM and even Spektrum radios. Its something that Traxxas really needs to improve on.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Traxxas refusal to sell their vehicles as kits or ARR without radios is an obvious flaw in their otherwise brilliant marketing stratagies.

A lot of RTR cars are now equipped with FM and even Spektrum radios. Its something that Traxxas really needs to improve on.
And they STILL sold a boatload of them, crappy radios or not!
Old 07-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Davidka
You're missing the point. The way this truck is selling it is clear that many R/Cers DO want a poorer performing, realistic R/C truck. It's slower, it looks more realistic (remember when touring cars came out back in the early 90's?) and it's easy to race against other drivers with it. It isn't close to a real race truck, it's not supposed to be. That's the point. Nobody cares if Traxxas has ever won a world championship, they're still buying a ton of these.

You miss my point ...

The Ae designed for R/c racing ..

The Traxxax`s was not design for racing ....

If some other manufacture did make one of their own it would game over for the Slash because of it poor design...
None of other Slash driver`s would allow another design to beat um though , they would all cry cheater , ect ....

That is not a healthy race program , and it is doomed to fail....

So have fun bashing ....

I`m busy racing with my Ae rides..

BDW

Notice Traxxas`s never has produce a competitive ride in the establish class`s ?

They can`t win so they create class`s of their own that only fail with time ...
Old 07-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Tech Adept

Wild Cherry, I have to assume you don't own any Traxxas cars. My question to you is why your such a Traxxas hater. Last i checked Traxxas did not create the race classes, just the cars. Does it upset you that people want to race these. I would love to see other offerings like the Slash, and Slayer from other companys other than Traxxas. If there's is better then I will end up owning it also, no biggie. Traxxas did not create the monster truck racing class, the people did. But they did create the class multi back to back champion, but that does not mean the MGT sucks because its not the Monster truck class champion. From what I hear there (MGTs) some tough trucks.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If some other manufacture did make one of their own it would game over for the Slash because of it poor design...
None of other Slash driver`s would allow another design to beat um though , they would all cry cheater , ect ....

That is not a healthy race program , and it is doomed to fail.
Some of that is true. If AE did come out with one, the Slash would probably lose, and there would be problems with the Slash vs. the AE or Losi or whichever racing company decided to come out with a CORR truck.

But as long as the Slash is popular, and people stick with them, they will continue to race them against each other, kind of like the Tamiya Minis...They are not totally raced out with high tech components, but people still race them, not against established sedans, but against each other.

It's cool you race your AE rides. I guess people are looking for different things. Fastest, most race capable isn't the highest on *everyone's* list, and the Slash's sales have proven that.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Look up these Traxxas vehicles: TRX-1, TRX-3, Blue Eagle, Blue Eagle II...

Traxxas chose to step away from building "race" vehicles. They chose the RTR route. Traxxas doesn't create classes, racers do.

Enough Traxxas bashing...this is a thread about AE producing an off road desert truck to compete in a CORR style RC class. Being a current Slash racer (and 2wd mod and 4wd mod), I would love the competition from another manufacturer.

Anyone with AE inside knowledge or AE themselves care to chime in?
Old 07-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Tech Adept

no even mentioned the Traxxas Revo. funny.

i have been racing the Losi Desert Truck at a couple of tracks here in florida, have to say it runs great on washed out tracks, the rougher the better. the thing they did that AE might copy is shorter shock towers and regular shocks to give it more ride height and slightly longer travel. it is basicly a xxx-t with a roll cage on the back. the stock truck runs ok, i put a Novak 8.5 XBR sport on this one, it runs like any other truck. i also ran hole shots all the way around, stock tires do not work on the clay tracks here.
i am curious to see the Traxxas Slash, i like the look of the wheels inside the body and have seen the videos on youtube and they look like fun. i have raced Traxxas for a while, almost 3 years on my Jato 2.5. their stuff is clunky and toyish, but it does not break like a Losi or AE. it's also much faster in a straight line. i do have a XXX-NT that i race for more serious racing, but club racing is more fun with the jato.

it would be interesting if AE came out with a Desert truck, maybe even update the RTR radio for something that is better than the Traxxas radio. the Losi came with a nice DSM radio, super light with only 4 batteries like the spektrum 3r!
Old 07-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

You miss my point ...

The Ae designed for R/c racing ..

The Traxxax`s was not design for racing ....

That is not a healthy race program , and it is doomed to fail....

So have fun bashing ....
I understand your point but it's not really relevant here. Have a look around, there really is no such thing as a healthy electric racing program currently. People are fed up with racing each other's wallets. Nitro is currently ruling the market (Traxxas dominates sales there too) because despite all of the gear out there it's all pretty closely matched. This is the appeal of the Slash for electric.

I don't own a Traxxas car and never have. I have owned more AE and Losi cars over the years than I can count. If you look more closely you will see that both AE and Losi try to be more like Traxxas every year, not the other way around.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I think you'd be better off looking to Tamiya to produce a similar desert truck to the Slash than Associated (or Losi). Here is a Tamiya kit that has a realistic look - but I doubt that it would make a good racer (http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58161)
Old 07-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Not Traxxas bashing. I think I've been more than fair. The Slash is typical Traxxas - something fun that they can sell but not necessarily something I would want to race.

Its a perfectly legitimate question to ask much better racing would be if Americas most successfull RC brand actually sold vehicles that were capable of competing in the existing classes at your local race track, instead of trying to creat their own unique classes so that they can monopolize it.

We should be asking Traxxes when will they finally make a 1/8 buggy or truggy or 1/10 truck capable of competing with AE, Kyosho, Ofna, and Losi instead of demanding the other companies to make a vehicle to compete with the Slash.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You miss my point ... The Ae designed for R/c racing. The Traxxax`s was not design for racing . Notice Traxxas`s never has produce a competitive ride in the establish class`s ?

They can`t win so they create class`s of their own that only fail with time ...

Originally Posted by jk racing
Look up these Traxxas vehicles: TRX-1, TRX-3, Blue Eagle, Blue Eagle II...

Traxxas chose to step away from building "race" vehicles. They chose the RTR route. Traxxas doesn't create classes, racers do.
Nice going JK!
I was going to say, Traxxas was first to produce a competitive RC Stadium truck (See Blue Eagle) (see also Kyosho) and Traxxas WAS competitive for many years. They steped into the RTR and def. succeeded in creating a niche. They continue to be innovative in their product, no doubt, but I think the SLASH is just another example of that innovation at work.

The Slash has taken off as a new "spec class" at my LHS and its great fun to watch. Reminds me of the HPI rally class we used to race. I think its size makes it appealing for larger tracks that run 1/8th scale. If you break it down the Slash is probably the orig. basis for the typical "Stadium truck" that we all know.

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I think you'd be better off looking to Tamiya to produce a similar desert truck to the Slash than Associated (or Losi). Here is a Tamiya kit that has a realistic look - but I doubt that it would make a good racer (http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58161)
At a now closed LHS, it was a popular spec class back in the day. It made a comeback at my LHS and sparked new interest. But the SLASH has replaced it now as the spec class. Its a larger version of the Tamiya trucks they made years ago. Its affordable and limited in hop-ups which makes the competition a bit tighter. My complaint w/ the Tamiya was that it was a bit narrow and flipped a bit too easily.

I think AE will stick to what they do best, making competitive race worthy vehicles. You can't argue with the # of world championships AE has won. I think everyone has seen the decline of Losi and how they are trying to branch out like Traxxas has. Many people online have voiced their distaste that Losi has taken, but people still buy the products. I think the Niche are best left to those who have it covered, Traxxas. When i worked for an LHS, i would always steer the new people toward the Traxxas brand. I still would! I can't see AE branching out for another class. It took how long for the AE to produce an 1/8th scale Buggy and truggy, heck even a 4wd? They dominate offroad 2wd buggy and truck and onroad remains competitive as well. AE builds competitve Race worthy buggies/trucks. Stick with what wins!

MOmo
Old 07-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Tech Adept

Not Traxxas bashing. I think I've been more than fair.

We should be asking Traxxes when will they finally make a 1/8 buggy or truggy or 1/10 truck capable of competing with AE, Kyosho, Ofna, and Losi instead of demanding the other companies to make a vehicle to compete with the Slash.
But what about what I and and tons of other people want? huh? When can I get the car that I want? Something that looks halfway real. Thats what the Slash and Slayer is all about. I know it is not able to go at it with a very unrealistic setup like todays 1/10th scale stadium trucks, but its the realism I am after.

I'm not demanding that other companys make a CORR style truck. I just want them to know that I am interested in this style of rc racing, and it would be cool if they joined in. (Realism). Just like the Monster truck guys, and the rock crawler guys. Thats why those classes took off like they did. Then broke of and made other classes.

More people are coming to the hobby that never would have without Traxxas. Because of Traxxas these other companys may have never got the few customer they do have if they were not pulled in buy the appeal of some Traxxas models.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.