TRF501x - not making the triple?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TRF501x - not making the triple?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Tech Adept

Default TRF501x - not making the triple?

Long post, help me out here. The jist is this, how does suspension affect how a car will or will not make the tripple?

It SEEMS like my new 4wd has plenty of power everywhere on the track. Nobody is pulling me at all in the straight. It's so dang fast I can't even tell if it's really topping out. There MAY be a gearing issue, I've got stuff on order to start testing but I thought I'd run it by you guys first.

Again, it has huge power and accelerates off the line like nobodies business. AND, I'm VERY happy with the handling of the car. It reacts like I thought it would before I built it. Literally it hit my expectations in every way... except for one and it's keeping me from being top 3 on race nights.

I can't make the triple, and 5th place sucks. The car is perfect everywhere else.

People, it's making me insane. I've got an LRP Sphere TC opened up to setting 8 / LRP 6.5 / and 4800 LiPo.

Gearing is stock 15/91 which puts thee final drive ratio at right about 13.75

The manual for this LRP brushless motor says to run it at 9.0:1 ??? In order to get 9:1 I would change the pinion to a 23T???

I ordered a 16T and a 17T to try. I'm barley casing this jump with the 15T.

Then I thought about suspension setup when someone mentioned that COULD be the cause. The more I thought about it, the more confused I became. I can't imagine the car getting "quicker" with gearing, although I do intend to try; so maybe it IS suspension.

If the reason for not making the tripple is indeed suspension, what would cause it to NOT make the tripple? Too soft/hard , fast/slow, front/rear?

Give me something to try, please....
Old 07-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Try the larger pinions, your way up there.

Your chassis might be slapping the face of the jump or there might be a bump on the run up to the jump unsettling the car too.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'd try a bigger pinion.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If you are running the stock set up on the 501x it is way too soft. It is absorbing all of your speed when you hit the face of the jump. Order the Tamiya spring set and use the stiffer springs and go to some thicker oil. You should be able to make any jump with the 501 that the other cars are doing. I ran a 5.5 in mine with stock gearing and it was awesome.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ok. As your car hits the face of a jump the shocks compress, and then rebound. The rebound gives the car sort of a hop off the jump. If your oil is "too heavy for the springs" to rebound fast enough to give the car that hop. It may lose out on some distance. I'm sure you know changing your oil, or springs to help may change your handling in other places on the track. If your just missing it I would say go 5 or 10 wt lighter on the oil, and see where that puts you. Then match your springs to your new oil weight.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Suspended

Talking AE.......................IS THE KILLER OF ALL!

thats a tamiya for ya!
Old 07-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by losidriver70
thats a tamiya for ya!
Best car I ever owned. I ran it for two seasons and only broke 1 ball stud and a front shock shaft.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Tech Adept

LOL... seriously? That's a tamiya for ya?

In all fairness. My first three runs with the car, as in ZERO practice were two heats and a main at the OCRC wed night money league. I took second in the A main.

Tried to make it faster and got slower for Friday night racing. Took it back to where it was on night one.

Suspension is stock springs, heights per manual, BUT Losi 35wt oil. Also fwiw it's a Worlds Edition.

I've got a list of things to try now. I'll be racing tomorrow night again at OCRC. I'm going to try some AE springs and Losi 30wt before racing starts and see what happens.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

The Yokomo and Tamiya are not very good rough track cars. Which triple are you talking about? The infield section?

OCRC is smooth enough that their lack of suspension compared to other cars shouldnt be a factor.

How are you approaching the section? I ran a 10.5 in my B44 on Sunday and finished 3rd and I was clearing the infield with ease, but the big table top was a struggle, then again I never really tried to get a big run at it.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Tech Adept

It's funny you say that. I thought suspension wise, a arm and shock stroke the 501 looks to be near identical to the B44. The arms line up perfectly, they even have a comparison on some website.

You were running pretty good. I qualified 8th, got around the guys that tangled (I think it was you) and remember getting passed by two cars at once when I bobbled going into the straight. Pretty sure it had to be you and Paul. I didn't see ANYBODY the rest of the race nobody behind, nobody in front for about 10 laps.

The tripple I'm talking about is the big table, the infield section is no problem. I've tried that table several ways and just can't make it. I've watched several guys take it from the inside of the bowl. I can't make it from the top of the berm.

Anyhow, come say hey next time you race. I'll be there tomorrow night for sure.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Tech Adept

I think I know who you are, wheezy. I watched you last Sunday and you did good. 15t pinion is definitely not enough to clear the tabletop-single so try 2 to 3 teeth higher...of course don't forget to check your speedo and brushless' temp. Since I also run Tamiya, here's the suspension setup I use:

Front:
32.5wt oil
stock springs
stock pistons (per manual)
Shock tower placement (from outside): 2nd
Arm placement: middle

Rear:
32.5wt oil
stock springs
Stock pistons (per manual)
Shock tower placement (from outside): 3rd
Arm placement: middle

You can try this setup and afterwards change to your liking.

See ya tomorrow night (I'm the Silver and Black Tamiya).
Old 07-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The Yok has no problems going big on jumps if it's setup right. The cars are all pretty close on suspension but all have their weight in different places. This is why the cars feel different.

Someone already said it though. Your car is bottoming out on the face of the jump and scrubbing speed. Try going up one weight in oil and one spring, just for testing purposes. The quick check you could try is staing up the front and rear shocks one hole and take it out for a few laps.

The other thing is adjusting how you are jumping it. If you are just running up the face of the jump pinned that aint gonna get it done. Jumping takes skill. I've seen the pro's make a hard tripple or certain section look like it's not even there, yet I may struggle in that section until I figure it out.

Take a closer look at the jump face. Have someone drive your car and literally watch the chassis and see what's going on.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Tech Adept

Cool. I'm fired up to try some new stuff.

I'm the 6'5" guy with a hat and glasses... blue 501x with stars

Wheezy aka Todd McMini

In regards to how I'm hitting the face, I've tried several ways. I've watched the guys that can really hit it and they are pretty much just punching it right before the face... just like how I'd jump my dirtbike. When I try it... CASE

I'm hoping a 16 or 17 pinion will fix this because like I've said before the car just handles so darn good I don't want to mess with anything.

See you there!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I had the same problem with my car at that track last weekend. The weekend before that I was overshooting the landing. I think the only thing that changed was my tires being dirtier(never washed them), cause they still have plenty of tread left.

What kind of tires are you running?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Tech Adept

So far, only holeshots r and inside jobs f / they've been out of square fuzzies for a few weeks now.

I have NO traction problems. By the time the 4wd heats/mains come around the track is just about optimal as far as I'm concerned. I don't like it when it's wet as it does get rather slippery out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.