Wiki Posts
Search

Help w/Slipping PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Unhappy Help w/Slipping PLEASE

Team Losi XXXT MF2, just put in novak brushless setup and diff is slipping, had to tighten it so tight the wheels are difficult to turn in opposite directions when holding the spur. I don't feel like leaving the slipper all the way loose to compensate and make sure the diff doesn't slip because I loose all acceleration. Took diff apart, balls look good as well as the bearings, rings and thrust washers. Diff is smooth until I have to tighten it to the point where I'm waiting for the diff screw to snap so it doesn't slip anymore. Please Help!!!! Could i have a defective diff part that looks okay?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What BL motor are you running? What turn is what I am askin. I run my MF2 with a 13.5 and never had an issue. Plus I know there are guys at my track running 6.5 and 5.5's with no problems either.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Tech Regular

novak 10.5
Old 07-14-2008, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would say something not right in the build. You should not be having any issue with the diff slipping.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I agree with Yeti35. I run my XXXT CR with a Novak XBR and 13.5 with no diff or slipper issues. Offroad mid-size track with good traction and some loose dirt. Is this the monster diff with the spring or version with the washers? If you install the washers in the wrong direction or don't have them all, it can cause problems. If you took it apart, did you replace the nut that the bolt threads into? You should do this everytime you rebuild the diff.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yeti35
I would say something not right in the build. You should not be having any issue with the diff slipping.
+1

It's not like you're running THAT MUCH power that it could be an issue.
And could it be that your slipping is a result of running it on the street or some other high traction venue?

Diffs don't last forever, and they all feel smooth until you snug them up, so it'd be my first guess that you need to rebuild the diff and replace all the parts. And THEN if you're still having an issue, and it's slipping too much on dirt, come check back in.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

It does sound like something's not right in the diff - also make sure your slipper lets loose before the diff does
Old 07-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Slipping issue...

If your diff is built correctly then you might have glazed your slipper pads...

I've seen it happen quite a bit at our track.. there are gas cars on the track during practice and you can't hear your car at all.....

If you have been running stock and then go to mod.. your slipper may have been too loose... once your "burn" the pads they get "glazed" and wont grab. Take your slipper apart and look at the pads.. If they are shinny, you'll need to scrap them with a hobby knife to get the glaze off or replace them.

Good luck!

Jerome
Old 07-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Tech Regular

I marked the spur gear to the slipper pads and tightened the nut down all the way to make sure the slipper is not slipping, it's not. I used to be able to hold a wheelie as far as the road ahead would allow me, now when i acclerate, instead of the truck launching there is a loud barking sound for a foot. If i hold the truck from moving and hit the throttle, the wheels dont spin and the diff can be heard slipping, keep in mind the noise is not the slipper because the marks I made never seperate. i have just took the diff apart again, i think the diff rings may have some slight grooving but don't understand how this would cause so much slippage. The diff screw has to be cranked so hard to get rid of the barking sound that i feel like something will break. I guess i will try new diff balls and rings?
Old 07-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Disassemble the diff, clean out all of the grease and relube and reassemble. I bet you have some bearing oil or non-silicone grease on your diff balls. If all the parts are in good shape you shouldn't need a slipper at all with a 10.5 (not that a touch of slipper action is a bad idea). Any contamination of the silicone diff lube at all will cause huge slippage. That's probably what it is.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Do as Davidka just said. I just recently had the same issue with my diff after a rebuild and it was fixed after I took the diff back apart and re-did everything.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Also, What is the condition of the thrust ball assembly and the spring.