Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please Confirm my order of Traxxas XL-5 . I need to buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Please Confirm my order of Traxxas XL-5 . I need to buy

EDITED: i HAVE PLACED THIS ORDER AND I WANT YOU GUYS TO HELP ME ON TECHNICAL ISSUES. PLEASE READ POSTS AND YOU ARE WELCOME TO PARTICIPATE IN THE DISCUSSION.

Hi Guys,

I am going to buy a Traxxas Rustler XL-5 from AMAINHOBBIES. I need all the accessories which are needed to make this XL-5 RTR. I made this order which Chris_RC suggested me according to my budget. I am very very thankful to him. I need a final review from all of you guys. I need you to please tell me is there anything else I need in order to make the vehicle ready to run on arrival of shipment.

PS: I will buy the 8AA batteries from supermarket nearby so I have not included them.

Truck:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/16232

adapter: (Please be dead sure is this the correct Adapter with the battery and charger and Rustler XL-5?)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/17489

Charger:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13174

Battery: (Is this XL-5 capable of handeling 8.4 volt?)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/18687

Please guyz tell me is this the correct order as I am newbie and please tell me all the accessories including battery and charger are compatable with each other and also with the Traxxas Rustler XL-5? Do I need to buy anything extra other than these for this Truck to be RTR on arrival.

Please reply as soon as possible so I can place my order Tonight.

Last edited by kashif; 07-02-2008 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

This combo will work. If you use the seven cell battery, it will discharge faster than six and thus you will have less run time. Also, it will be very hot and you will need to wait until it cools naturally (no fan or ice) to charge again. Seven cell will also be harder on the drive train in the truck. Traxxas has a plastic motor mount and high heat in motor can distort the plastic. Are you getting more than one battery?

My personal preference would be to get a couple of six cell NIMHs and alternate them more run time, less stress, and more fun. But that is just me.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanx for the reply. One thing is confusing me. I am ordering this adapter:

But on the Rustler XL-5 page at amainhobbies they say:

Note: This kit uses the new Traxxas High Current Connectors to connect the batteries to the electronic speed control. So if your batteries have the old style molex connector, you will need an adapter TRA3062, or to replace the connector on your battery with TRA3080 connector.

and TRA3062 is this adapter:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/17490

ow which should I buy with the accessories I am ordering?

This one:

Or this one which ther are talking about:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/17490

Please tell me which one should I order and can u please also tell me what would be the running time with the battery which I use.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

get the 1st adpater. Traxxas male to Tamiya female. It is for the charger. The charger comes with Tamiya Male.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanx a lot for the reply. Can u please tell me the estimated running time of Rustler with this battery?

and what is the charging time? Complete battery charge time?
Old 07-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

battery run time will be about 20-25 minutes. It depends how many amps you charge it at. I would charge it at .5 amps for the 1st run, 1 for the 2nd, and 2 for the 3rd while going slow to break in the pack. Normally I would charge that pack at 4 amps.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
battery run time will be about 20-25 minutes. It depends how many amps you charge it at. I would charge it at .5 amps for the 1st run, 1 for the 2nd, and 2 for the 3rd while going slow to break in the pack. Normally I would charge that pack at 4 amps.
So do u mean to say, When I ll have the shipment, I will first charge the battery at 0.5 amps, and when the battery is finish and need to recharge I will charge it at 2amps and so on?

Why cant I charge the battery at 4 amps straight? Is there any performance matter? Please reply
Old 07-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

yes, it is just good to "break in" the battery and truck. Just go slow. It is only 3 runs and you will have better performance later.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kashif
So do u mean to say, When I ll have the shipment, I will first charge the battery at 0.5 amps, and when the battery is finish and need to recharge I will charge it at 2amps and so on?

Why cant I charge the battery at 4 amps straight? Is there any performance matter? Please reply
Charge it at .5 at first until its charged up.

Run the pack

Then when it cools down charge it at 1A until its charged up

Run it

When it cools down charge at 2A, and so on up until 4A.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by K_King
Charge it at .5 at first until its charged up.

Run the pack

Then when it cools down charge it at 1A until its charged up

Run it

When it cools down charge at 2A, and so on up until 4A.
So I have to charge it 5 times on the above mentioned AMPS by you. But after the completion of this charging process. Can I charge it at 4 AMPS the next time and every time?

and the most important thing. DO i have to charge the first 5 times back to back or can I take interval say 2 times the first day and three times the next day?
Old 07-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

No you do it whenever you charge it.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by K_King
No you do it whenever you charge it.
Didnt get your point. Not sure u r answering of which part?

I have asked these:

1) I have to charge it 5 times on the above mentioned AMPS by you. But after the completion of this charging process. Can I charge it at 4 AMPS the next time and every time?

2) DO i have to charge the first 5 times back to back or can I take interval say 2 times the first day and three times the next day?
Old 07-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Tech Master

1, yes, but sometimes just do a slow charge at say 1 amp or lower and trickle charge it for a bit to equalize the cells. The higher amp rate, the shorter it lasts.

2, DONT do them all in 1 day. If you do run down a pack, you should wait 3 hours before you recharge it. So dont do it in 1 day. I would do 1 a day for 5 days or something like that.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Nik
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if you can solder.... buy a bunch of Deans plugs to replace all the Traxxas and Tamiya connectors.

Female on battery. Male on charger and speed control.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
1, yes, but sometimes just do a slow charge at say 1 amp or lower and trickle charge it for a bit to equalize the cells. The higher amp rate, the shorter it lasts.

2, DONT do them all in 1 day. If you do run down a pack, you should wait 3 hours before you recharge it. So dont do it in 1 day. I would do 1 a day for 5 days or something like that.
Thanx Chris for the reply.

1)What do u mean by equalizing cells? Suppose I completed the charging process in 5 days and now I charge the vehicle for 4amps straight. Say after one day I again charge it for 4amps and then next day I charge it on slow 1 or less amps. Did u mean this?

2) As u said "The higher amp rate, the shorter it lasts" does this means the life of battery becomes shorter or the running time?

3) On a side note I forgot to ask. Does the remote control comes with the rustler which I have purchased or I have to buy it?

Last edited by kashif; 07-02-2008 at 08:11 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.