Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Surge problem!!!! >

Surge problem!!!!

Surge problem!!!!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Surge problem!!!!

MY son has an Duratrax Evader. It has the Duratrax esc and a 27t Trinity motor. The problem is after about five to 7 minutes of running and not hard running. It starts this cut in out thing but if you pick it up and hit the throttle the tires go fine. But when you put it back on the ground it cuts in and out without going anywhere. Almost seems like the battery does not have enough power to go. But if you let it sit for awhile it is fine. Any ideas what it can be.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

How much has the motor been run, and has it been cleaned, brushes replaced, com cut? This will help us to help you. It sounds like dirty brushes that may be sticking.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Agreed. Sounds like a dirty comm or hung brushes. Under light or no load the motor will still spin but under heavy load it just gives up.

Is the motor or ESC getting hot? That might explain why it works after setting a while - try a smaller pinion.

It could also be a dirty connection. If the stock white Tamiya connector gets hot while running it'll have so much resistance that you'll lose power. I've actually had them get so hot they melted together. Switch to Deans or Traxxas connectors if that's the case.