Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
I want to buy Rustler XL-5 but very confused. Please help!!! >

I want to buy Rustler XL-5 but very confused. Please help!!!

I want to buy Rustler XL-5 but very confused. Please help!!!

Old 06-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Default I want to buy Rustler XL-5 but very confused. Please help!!!

Hi Guys,

I want to buy Traxxas Rustler XL 5 but I dont know which battery I should buy. Can anybody please tell me from where I can buy the batteries. I have not seen the product and willing to place order online so I have no idea whatsoever about the batteries. My questions are:

1) Should I need to buy Batteries and Charger only or any thing else which is require to run the rustler xl 5?

2) Can u please tell me by which battery I can achieve 35+ speed? Can u please give me link of the exact battery and charger to buy?

3)Does this XL 5 goes over 35 and what is the maximum battery power it is capable of? Please I want to reach to the maximum speed can u please recommend batteries (URL to buy also)

4) What is the included 28-tooth pinion gear? How do I set it?

Sorry for being dumb but please please guys help me. I need to buy this thing and only waiting for your replies so I can place the order with required accessories in one shipment.

Thanx!
Old 06-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/combo-...ml?cPath=52_53
Old 06-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

does anyone know anthing about these batteries/charger.....used the charger. seems very cheap priced. do you get what you pay for here? or would this be a good way to get into the lipo's.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

You always get what you pay for, and if it seems to good to be true it probally is.

Buy a battery that you can afford, with the highest MAH rating possible.

The higher the mah rating the longer the runtime and usually you will get more power as well. As for the battery charger, talk with the sales person or read on line, and make sure that it is the proper charger for the type of battery your buying.

Its not rocket science, But if your looking for advice on what everyone feels is best, you will get a million differnet opinions.

My non biased advice is buy the largest mah battery you can comfortably afford and buy a charger that will work for what you bought.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The XL-5 ESC doesn't have a lipo voltage cutoff so you cant run lipo on the xl5. If you want 35+ MPH, then get a 4000mAh+ 7 cell battery pack. And you don't "set" the pinion. You take the gear cover off and there is a gear with 24 teeth. There is a set screw and you take that out. Then you put the 28t pinion in and tighten the set screw down. But dont run the 28t pinion all the time, as it will hurt the motor from being overgeared and will burn up the motor. my friend uses a GP3300 7 cell matched pack with a 18t pinion and he gets around 0 but it feels faster due to the snappy accelration.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You can run lipo on any esc.

If your not smart enough to stop when it slows down get one of these http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9574
Old 06-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

thanks OG RC 10T,

I think I'll pass.....I've had enough gambling on batteries.....
Old 06-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanx a lot guys for the replies. You guys are very supporting.