Search

Building a Kyosho kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 12:55 PM
noR
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default Building a Kyosho kit

Hey, I haven't built a kit from complete scratch yet. I've tore-down and rebuilt my AE TC3; so I have a general understanding. But.... well are there any little tricks or fluids that I should consider aside from following the kit's instructions to the letter?

I'm talking like should I use threadlock for certain things, and not for others; should I never use threadlock cause the fresh plastic will hold just fine. Is there a maximum amount of torque I should use? I've stripped most of my diff case on the TC3; so I'm sure there's a "too much" but I have no idea what the real number would be. This goes double for new parts cause I imagine I'll be cutting threads while screwing.

Aside from being careful, being 90*. Are there any more tips or tricks you guys have learned that you could share with a new builder?

Gonna build a Kyosho ZX-5 SP and get my off-road on.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

Suggest using a thread tap on the plastic parts that aren't threaded. Makes it easier to assemble and work on later. I also believe that it reduces stress at high load areas. But don't overdo it, just tap perhaps half of the thread length. If you overdo it then stuff won't stay tight. As you have discovered in general there is really no need to tighten more than just snug.

Make sure everything works and moves smoothly as you go. Sand suspension arms and such as needed to get smooth movement without binding, again a little will do ya, don't get carried away and end up with sloppy fits. Trimming part flash and gates is a nice touch.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thread lock should only be used on screws that thread into metal, not plastic. As far as the how tight is too tight? Pay attention when you tightening screws down, when the head of the screw is all the way against the material (no threads showing) give the screw another 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and that should be good. The best advice for building a new kit is to slow down and take your time, if you need something, don't try and make something else work. Get what you need. Taking your time and doing things right will assure that your first trip to the track is not spent in the pits fixing a bunch of stuff and out on the track looking for parts that fell off your car, rather it will be spent out on the track enjoying the fruits of your labor. Good luck, have fun, and remember it's just a toy car.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

on the zx-5 the kit peices are very clean, as with all kyosho kits. the places to pay close attention are when building the shocks and when building the diffs. Also make sure to use thread lock on the cvd set screws when assembling the cvd's.other than that follow the directions and the kit set-up specs will get you a nice neutral handling four wheeler.as for things to invest in , the top of my list for the zx-5 is a lexan undertray.I t will keep dirt and stones out of the spur gear and save you some money in the long run.Also learn to love the slipper on the car. It is a good set-up and if you are going to be running some big motor a properly set-up slipper will save on your geartrain and save the rear diff so you wont have to re-build it like every other week.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Google zx5 manual or go to kyosho site and download the pdf. I have built Kyosho cars all my life and the manuals tell you all that, where to glue , grease, etc...Then you can get familiar with the parts/car.
Read it many times to make sure you don't skip a step.
For the screws just tight until they don't go anymore and stop or you will strip the thread, also use a good driver , not a "L" wrench or you will also strip the screw head.

Ed
Old 06-30-2008, 07:08 AM
noR
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Thanks for the tips and ideas guys. I totally took advantage of that pdf and went ahead and printed it out and started flipping through it already.