Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 4wd Buggy options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

Default 1/10 4wd Buggy options?

Ok there's Losi, Associated, and Kyosho.

Are there any other 1/10 scale 4wd racing kits that are competitive?
Old 06-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

- Academy SBV2 Pro (not sport version)
- Tamiya 515? or something race kit
- XFactory X5
Old 06-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Hotbodies D4!!!! extremely tough and excellent handeling, not to mention the parts quality and fit. Ive owned 4 of the before mentioned cars and know others with the cars I havn't owned And I would say if I had it to do all over again the D4 would be my first choice then the AE b44 and the tamyia 501x
Old 06-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Tamiya TRF501X, Tamiya Durga, Hot Bodies Cyclone D4 and the yet to be named budget version of the D4, JConcepts BJ4 and BJ4WE, Yokomo MR4BX, MR4BX WE, and B-Max4 (budget shaft drive car with the same suspension geometry as the WE). Predator/T-Tech X-11 Schumacher CatSX, Serpent S500, Atomic Carbon S4, Aero Racing Aero1
Old 06-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Tech Adept

WOW. LOTS OF 4 x 4's

I'm not going to ask which is the best. That's redundant. But rather, which is the most complete (sway bars/optional parts/adjustability) kit. I bought a used zx-5 (not sp) and have not been too satisified with it. The guy I bought it from put it together all wrong. I've had to rebuild all the shocks, he had one of the diffs in backwards, wrong screws in wrong holes, etc. He just put everything together wrong then never ran it. Anyway, the nightmare is over and it's ready for the track. Here's the thing. It's already obsolete. No current set ups, no one runs it anymore. That is just no good for me. I'm fairly new to racing and I depend on the pro's for the set up. I don't even know what I'm doing, I just copy them. I have a Kyosho RB5 that I like. But I'm fed up with the required Kyosho upgrades at $50 to $100 a pop. So now I want something new.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STRINGCHEESE
WOW. LOTS OF 4 x 4's

I'm not going to ask which is the best. That's redundant. But rather, which is the most complete (sway bars/optional parts/adjustability) kit. I bought a used zx-5 (not sp) and have not been too satisified with it. The guy I bought it from put it together all wrong. I've had to rebuild all the shocks, he had one of the diffs in backwards, wrong screws in wrong holes, etc. He just put everything together wrong then never ran it. Anyway, the nightmare is over and it's ready for the track. Here's the thing. It's already obsolete. No current set ups, no one runs it anymore. That is just no good for me. I'm fairly new to racing and I depend on the pro's for the set up. I don't even know what I'm doing, I just copy them. I have a Kyosho RB5 that I like. But I'm fed up with the required Kyosho upgrades at $50 to $100 a pop. So now I want something new.

If you bought a kyosho sp originally you wouldn't be saying that. You also probably are pretty green to 4wd cause you said required upgrades. SP is like one of the best cars or thee best car hands down.

although there are some good options.
losi xxx-4
b44
HB D4
501x
lazer sp

now....

you want expensive and exotic
s500
501x wce
atomic s4
predator x-11
Old 06-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

StringCheese- I work for Hot Bodies and will of course recommend the HB D4 as the car of choice. I strongly believe it to be the toughest car on the market and I feel fast every time I drive it. So that naturally is my pick.

At the same time I'd like to say that Kyosho does make a strong car and I'd agree with RB-5 that had you purchased one new, you might never have started this thread as you'd still be running that same vehicle.

Just about every 4wd on the market is competitive these days and the durability (relative to years past) has gone up quite a bit. (That goes for all manufactures)

If you have any questions regarding the D4 that would help you to compare it to another vehicle feel free to ask here or pm me and I'll help you as best I can.

Happy Racing,

Jeremy
Old 06-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

+ 1 for the JConcepts WE.

Great buggy. You can thank them for the B44 influence.

MOmo
Old 06-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

I'm biased too -- X Factory is our company.

That said, for the typical driver the X - 5 is the easiest-to-drive-fast car out there Nothing is faster through the bumps or in the air. And, the most frequently broken parts are Losi parts available anywhere.

The X - 5 is ballistic fast (former U.S. Champion, current French Champion, leading in points for the '08 U.K. Championship) right out of the box -- no aftermarket hop-up parts at all. Our inexpensive Caster Block Screws end breakage of the Losi front control arms. (Front control arms are among the most frequently broken parts in 4WD.)

We introduced a whole new version of the car last summer, the X - 5 Squared, so it's one of the newest cars out there. And we just updated that last week with all new CNC machined pulleys.

Every time we update any of our cars, all the updates fit the original cars and we offer low-priced UpGrade Kits for those who want the latest specs.

Best of all is the X Factory Family. We don't have customers, we have a big Family which constantly trades info back and forth. Instead of having a "kit set-up" built into the instructions, we insert the latest set-ups loose in the manual with each car shipped.

Many of the upgrades on the X - 5 Squared were the direct result of Family feed-back. You deal directly with the owner, engineers, and Team drivers. The Family counts at X Factory.

No other car can give you this. www.4wdrc.com
Old 07-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
If you bought a kyosho sp originally you wouldn't be saying that. You also probably are pretty green to 4wd cause you said required upgrades. SP is like one of the best cars or thee best car hands down.

although there are some good options.
losi xxx-4
b44
HB D4
501x
lazer sp

now....

you want expensive and exotic
s500
501x wce
atomic s4
predator x-11
the b44 is better...
Old 07-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have an sp right now and have a d4 world champ kit coming on friday to try out and well the kyosho is a great handleing buggy and very stable. but for me getting sp parts around here can kinda be a pain as hotbodies parts are alot easier to get so thats the main reason why im changing but i will tell you it has nothin to do with the lack of performance of the sp the car does work well. also i was super impressed with the hotbodies team at the hotrod hobbies shootout and i think with the win in superstock and 2-3 d4's in the mod amain plus the great 2nd place finish in rc car magazine 4x4 shootout there will be alot more of those things showing up at the track. also as for the d4 kit i just think you get a ton of goodies for the money. cant wait for mine to show up friday. also on this forum the hotbodies team drivers post here alot and are super nice people and will help you the best they can just another selling point for me. also cant wait for that pimp looking d2 to come out!!!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

There wont even be a debate once the Serpent comes out! I wouldnt mind having a 4x4 myself, but buying one now would be money wasted because everyone knows they'll be drooling over that S500. I cant get enough of these pics:
Old 07-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

I have been running a Xfactory X-5 for quite a while now and I am very happy with it. This buggy is very stable and easy to drive making is easy when you want to push it. It also steers very well with or without a oneway diff unlike the XXX-4. It is also a rocket on the straight like the XXX-4 and handles very well on rough, blown out tracks.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey sport10 is the x5 a conversion kit or its own buggy? ive heard alittle bit about them but have never seen one up close can ya post some pics of it? were do you buy thease at?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Yokomo MR4-WE is a KILLER car. A bit pricey but a very nice car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.