Traxxas Slash Spec Class at OC/RC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas Slash Spec Class at OC/RC

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Gentlemen- I wasn't going to post in this thread as it doesn't apply to HB products, but I do announce at OCRC on a semi-regular basis so I wanted to discuss some ideas.

I run a race for HB called the Underground Championships and I have been through a lot of these complaints.

My suggestion is to keep this class fun. Really fun. In the end a fun open class seems to result in higher entries. It doesn't make sense to me, or a lot of other serious racers but it's just the way it is. You could keep it 100% open and get away with it by not offering any crazy prizes at the end. People with stock stuff would be out classed, but that is just part of the game. You can get in nice and cheap and have tons of fun finishing wherever you end up. Over time you may want to upgrade to better stuff and get more competitive but it's totally up to you. I know this sounds strange and on this message board it will appear that the majority disagrees with this but in person it will be a success.

You will want a couple of basic rules, I like stock tires and body....but that's about it.

No one has to follow this lead and I can assure you that I'm not that concerned (being it's a Traxxas ) but I have experienced the rigors of spec class racing and seen ideas that us racers consider to be genius fall flat on their face.

Once again I think there have been great ideas from many people on this thread. I too am a racer, and have trouble embracing this philosophy, but the reality is people want to have fun.....and the easier you make it for someone to participate in something, the more likely they'll come out and do it.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Amen.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jeremy Felles
Gentlemen- I wasn't going to post in this thread as it doesn't apply to HB products, but I do announce at OCRC on a semi-regular basis so I wanted to discuss some ideas.

I run a race for HB called the Underground Championships and I have been through a lot of these complaints.

My suggestion is to keep this class fun. Really fun. In the end a fun open class seems to result in higher entries. It doesn't make sense to me, or a lot of other serious racers but it's just the way it is. You could keep it 100% open and get away with it by not offering any crazy prizes at the end. People with stock stuff would be out classed, but that is just part of the game. You can get in nice and cheap and have tons of fun finishing wherever you end up. Over time you may want to upgrade to better stuff and get more competitive but it's totally up to you. I know this sounds strange and on this message board it will appear that the majority disagrees with this but in person it will be a success.

You will want a couple of basic rules, I like stock tires and body....but that's about it.

No one has to follow this lead and I can assure you that I'm not that concerned (being it's a Traxxas ) but I have experienced the rigors of spec class racing and seen ideas that us racers consider to be genius fall flat on their face.

Once again I think there have been great ideas from many people on this thread. I too am a racer, and have trouble embracing this philosophy, but the reality is people want to have fun.....and the easier you make it for someone to participate in something, the more likely they'll come out and do it.

Great points all.
Trying to make it spec class seems to open the never ending arguments.
Making it an open class keeps options out there for everyone - just call it the Slash Class Clash.
And the idea of the only rules being tires and body related is brilliant.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

EXCELLENT... Whens the first race?
Old 06-22-2008, 02:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

WOW... I tried starting a thread about this class on OCRC Forum but never got this kind of response. I beleive that an open class is the only way to go at OCRC. Some people might not agree, but i think it will be easier to run the track that way.

as far as track size for these trucks i think OCRC is big enough!!! Just because these cars look huge, you are not considering the fact that the wheel base is the same if not shorter there some 1/10 scale trucks. The Losi DT has a longer wheel base then the slash and it looks like the track will hold it.

This car will bring on a whole new driving style. There will be tight cornering, some rubbing to get past the leader. And maybe even some carnage in the straights. Just look at the actual race. i call it destruction derby on a offroad course. Most of the regular CORR guys are out for blood.

Well like i said on the other forum im going to be out at OCRC on thursday, since i hear that is the only time other SLASH guys are out. We can get a conversation going on how we like to play this out then if anyone is interested. I know RB is on board and has even made a sign-in sheet for the class. NOW we just need the racers.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It looks like the people have spoken. I'll let Robert know that we've agreed on an open class with spec tires and body. He really wants to run his Desert Truck in this class, so we may have to give a little on that and hope that it isn't too much faster then the Slash. If it turns out that it is, maybe we can re-negotiate. Hopefully Robert is good with that..
Old 06-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by WisdomRacing
It looks like the people have spoken. I'll let Robert know that we've agreed on an open class with spec tires and body. He really wants to run his Desert Truck in this class, so we may have to give a little on that and hope that it isn't too much faster then the Slash. If it turns out that it is, maybe we can re-negotiate. Hopefully Robert is good with that..
We had a guy run a DT with us at Pegasus Saturday...it's not faster at all, but since it's just a standard XXX-T with chrome wheels, it's definitely a more planted car, but it looks way out of place when it's on the track with a Slash...or vice-versa...
Old 06-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah I'm not sure why it's put into the same category as the Slash...

So at the end of the race, how did he place?
Old 06-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Tech Elite

In the middle of the pack from what I saw.

Yeah, it's kinda dumb to run it with the Slash trucks when there's already a class for a XXX-T. ===> "Stock truck"

It's a very different beast -- it's like a mouse in the elephant cage -- it may be nimble, but one wrong step and it's getting flattened.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:05 AM
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
In the middle of the pack from what I saw.

Yeah, it's kinda dumb to run it with the Slash trucks when there's already a class for a XXX-T. ===> "Stock truck"
Hhhmmmm......since the Slash is a re-bodied/re-tired version of the Rustler and the DT is a re-bodied/re-tired version of the XXX-T, and since both previously qualified to run in the 1/10th truck class it appears you guys have backed yourselves into a corner since they are both now being produced as desert trucks.

From that line of thought it seems like they should both be in the "Stock truck" class, or maybe mod truck, since they both are 2wd stadium trucks.

But allowing one brand and not the other is being kinda prejudiced.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hey guys, Dont even respond to the above quote. Its never ending. Waste of time.

Hey Joe how many Slashs show up on Sat?
Old 06-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

RocketRob - You got PM..
Old 06-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Suspended

RocketRob - You got PM..
Got it and replied.

But fact is that they're both 1/10th desert trucks, based on older model 1/10th STs. I mean where is fair in drawing the line?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by What up?
Hey guys, Dont even respond to the above quote. Its never ending. Waste of time.
I'm not trying to start anything, and dang sure not trying to get hammered like you guys did that oldschool dude earlier in the thread, but come on.
Did you honestly think that wouldn't be an issue at some point considering that both trucks were released so close to one another? And what are you going to do when ThunderTech releases there's - run those guys off too?

I mean, I always thought one of the problems with racing was the lack of competition and competitors. And one of the ways to grow it was getting people to race, regardless of what they show up with.

waving the white flag
Old 06-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by What up?
Hey Joe how many Slashs show up on Sat?
About 10 of them. James tried to do a "double a main" for us, but not everybody stayed for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.