Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Traxxas Slash Spec Class at OC/RC >

Traxxas Slash Spec Class at OC/RC

Traxxas Slash Spec Class at OC/RC

Old 06-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Robert also said that anyone who wants to run modified/brushless can create their own class assuming they have 4+ people.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by WisdomRacing
Just talked to Robert. He says the way he would like to see it run is:

Stock power plant
Tires: Open

Lipo: Have everyone interested in running and come to an agreement in person.

He also wants to run his Losi Desert Truck with us.
In my opinion allowing any tires is a bad move if you're aiming at a spec class. Apologies is that's not what they are talking about, but since this thread was about spec class rules I assumed so. Probably more than any other single item, tire wars can become costly and the most likely to turn away beginners.

I'd also say that allowing the Losi truck in the class is probably not a good idea, but then I've never seen the two of them run together. They just seem like completely different beasts, with the Losi being closer to traditional stadium trucks that have been run in the past.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldschoolracer
It was a little hard to reply quickly as you suggested since it could have surely been noted under my avatar that I was NOT online, but if you were paying attention you would have known.

Personally I've been running mine in an open class, and often against regular 1/10th racers.

I thought you were for strict rules. The size of this truck is closer to 1/8th buggy and should not be run with 1/10 trucks.... You should really practice what you preach.. As for being online, you were on this thread for a good 20 min when I posted the question and disapeared but oh well... lol

I'm done....

Back on topic, I'll be picking mine up in a week or two or as funds permit..
Old 06-19-2008, 02:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well there has certainly been a lot of bickering.

Miller - Again thanks for the productive reply. I would personally like to keep this closed to tire changes and Slash only, but this is Robert's track and he'd like to see it open to both. Maybe if we get everyone together AT OC/RC we'll be able to come to a conclusion. I have a feeling all these e-thugs will either not be there, or not complaining quite as much if we conducted this discussion in person...

OldSchoolRacer - You're my kind of guy

All - I really wanted this to be a class where you could come to OC/RC, buy the Slash from the shop, hit the tracks and be competitive...what's wrong with that? If you all want to run mod motors and all that other crap, either get 4 people to come and make your own class, or run with the XXX-Ts and T4s.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Here's an idea...why don't you come out to a track and watch people race Slash trucks and see what they're about. Then you'd be able to make some rules that make sense. We had 10-12 of them out last night and I wouldn't doubt that we'll have two heats on Saturday.

Oh...BTW. "oldschoolracer" = "e-thug". Aside from the lack of physical threats, he's pretty much a classic keyboard hero. That's why I (and I bet half the people on the Slash thread) have him on "Ignore" at this point.

You're right about ME not complaining as much in person, because if you take it upon yourself to make some stupid rules that ban me because I bought aluminum shock caps or run Lipos...I'm just not going to spend the money to drive out to your track. I actually live in SoCal, I actually have a Slash with stock electronics and I actually race it. If you wanna see how a real "fun" class is run, come out to Pegasus and race with us.

If you want a "tear off the wrapper and race it" class...have Robert buy some trucks and batteries for the track and have people race those. That's the ONLY way you're gonna keep them bone stock. It'll be like one of those indoor carting places, you get what you get. Racers tune on their stuff. That's what they do.

Well there has certainly been a lot of bickering.

Miller - Again thanks for the productive reply. I would personally like to keep this closed to tire changes and Slash only, but this is Robert's track and he'd like to see it open to both. Maybe if we get everyone together AT OC/RC we'll be able to come to a conclusion. I have a feeling all these e-thugs will either not be there, or not complaining quite as much if we conducted this discussion in person...

OldSchoolRacer - You're my kind of guy

All - I really wanted this to be a class where you could come to OC/RC, buy the Slash from the shop, hit the tracks and be competitive...what's wrong with that? If you all want to run mod motors and all that other crap, either get 4 people to come and make your own class, or run with the XXX-Ts and T4s.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

If I had it my way, you could run your aluminum caps and lipo...you're not going to win races because of either...that said there is no reason why you couldn't put the stock electronics back in to race. I've seen a few of these running at OC/RC, though you're right, I haven't watched a race in person (videos online will do just fine).

I'm sorry that you may not choose to grace us with your presence. I truly have failed...
Old 06-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

I'm sorry that you may not choose to grace us with your presence. I truly have failed...
Oh please. Please dial down the snarkiness and pull up your training pants.

Get your Slash (you actually HAVE one, right?) and bring it out Saturday, then make some rules that make sense with regards to the people that have them and race them. Really...come out. Me and Stitchy will pay your entry.

Hey Wisdom...are you doing that Vegas to Reno race this summer? I think I may well be going out to help with the pre-running in late July.

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 06-19-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Well that's sort of what I was saying earlier - you won't make everyone happy no matter how hard you try. Some people will want box stock, some will want minor durability modifications, some will want any mods other than esc/motor, some will want to run them in reverse, etc. Ok maybe an exageration on the last one, but you get the idea.

Everyone is out to have fun, it's just different people have different ideas of what is fun. Nothing wrong with that, but if you want to prevent splitting it into three classes and probably killing the class before it gets started, you have to look at what the needs are for your locals.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

I was thinking stock motor (12t closed bell), chassis and tires (if they have okay bite)
The slash seems like a really fun truck- lets get some new classes going!
Old 06-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Wisdom, you're doing a fine job. Starting something up like this is not easy, and as you can tell, racers, noobs, and everyone in between have their own experiences and suggestions. You asked for opinions, and boy, did you get some!

In the end, you're right. It's up to Robert and perhaps the consensus of the actual racers. I invite you to come out to Pegasus Saturday and see how we run our Slash class there. You'll see that the hopped up cars don't run that differently from box stock ones, lipo or nimh. Nobody that I know of is running anything other than the stock Titan motor. As far as I can tell, nobody is teching, weighing or crying about rules (class is too new for that). It really does come down to driving, but you know what? Nobody really cares who's winning as we're having so much fun just running these things, banging bodies like the real trucks do.

Take what you like and don't like from what you see and build the class at OCRC.

Good luck!
Old 06-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Oh please. Please dial down the snarkiness and pull up your training pants.

Get your Slash (you actually HAVE one, right?) and bring it out Saturday, then make some rules that make sense with regards to the people that have them and race them. Really...come out. Me and Stitchy will pay your entry.

Hey Wisdom...are you doing that Vegas to Reno race this summer? I think I may well be going out to help with the pre-running in late July.
Actually no, I don't have one. I'm on the waiting list at Gyro. However, the reason I'm trying to get this class started at OC/RC is because I don't really want to drive to Pegasus just for this...I'd rather it be a side race to what I usually run.

And I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be "snarky" but so far in this thread you've called me a hair-splitting a-hole, called my ideas stupid and in an apparent degradation to my level, told me to pull up my training pants. I'm not sure if you feel like you're conducting yourself maturely in this thread...but I don't.

Thanks stitchy
Old 06-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

And I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be "snarky" but so far in this thread you've called me a hair-splitting a-hole, called my ideas stupid and in an apparent degradation to my level, told me to pull up my training pants. I'm not sure if you feel like you're conducting yourself maturely in this thread...but I don't.
I think some of those comments were directed at another "discussion" with a different member...
Old 06-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Actually no, I don't have one. I'm on the waiting list at Gyro. However, the reason I'm trying to get this class started at OC/RC is because I don't really want to drive to Pegasus just for this...I'd rather it be a side race to what I usually run.

I told you not to be a hair-splitting a-hole. If you've already decided to be one...then that's on you...LOL Banning people for using a lower-voltage battery IS stupid. Sorry if you feel offended by that, but it is what it is.

When you see how they run in real life, you'll see that for yourself. Until then, I guess you'll need to take the word of the people that ARE racing them with stock electronics...on here...that's me and Stitchy (so far).

But yeah...do buy a truck, pull up the training pants and come out to race. Pegasus has 10 on the shelf. That will be a perfect opportunity for you to pull off the wrapper and race it/see it for yourself, rather than postulating about what works and what doesn't.

The $20 you save will pay for the gas...
Old 06-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

I never said anything about stock working better then anything else. If everyone is stock then that will mean there is an EVEN playing field regardless of how good or bad they work.

As far as the batteries, it wasn't what I was saying, it was what the people over on the other forum were saying. Do you read anything I post or just generalize in order to make yourself sound right? I never said anything about banning people...I'm really not sure why this has turned into such a flame war.

What's Pegasus selling them for?
Old 06-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Man, now I *really* want you to come out so we can all meet and I can make you guys shake hands.

I'm not sure it would be PC to quote another shop's prices on a thread you've created for OCRC, but I'll just say they're all about the same, including the shop that I go to

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.