Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Traxxas Slash Spec Class at OC/RC >

Traxxas Slash Spec Class at OC/RC

Traxxas Slash Spec Class at OC/RC

Old 06-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I can tell you that we're having a lot of fun with them at Pegasus. I know it's just a spiffied-up Stampede, but they look really cool running around and it'll only get better when the clear bodies hit the stores and you have a bunch of scale replicas racing.

It's nice to see people more worried about having fun and putting on a show with cool-looking trucks than trying to be the top goat on some pile of fertilizer.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

I guess thats a good point. Just hope you can keep it that way. There definitely seems to be a trend to get to some semblance of realism. The Pro 10 class in onroad is kind of the same thing. It is not catching like this though.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Has anyone tried a stock Slash on this track yet?
Old 06-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If by stock you mean with all the included electronics, yes, I believe the ones I was watching were being run in their out of the box form. They looked like a lot of fun to drive. Wouldn't clear the big stuff though.

If you mean with a stock motor, not that I've seen.

I'm going to talk to Robert next time I come down...possibly for racing tomorrow.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

***Update based on feedback from other discussion

I'm trying to look out for the budget racers/newbies so here's the deal as far as what I'M organizing...if it turns out that others want to run bigger motors and what not, we can have a separate class for that:

Motor: Stock 27T OR included Titan motor.

Batteries: 6 cell NIMH/NICD or 2 cell Lipo**

**Lipo is allowed, HOWEVER in order to run it you must add weight to equate what the average nimh/nicd pack weighs.

I don't know off the top of my head what 6 cells OR lipos weigh in at, so if someone wants to help me out and throw some numbers that would be great. This way rather thing bringing scales to the track, we'll know that to make a 2 cell 3200 = a 6 cell nimh, you need to add XX.X g more

I hate to make things complicated but we're trying to make this as cost efficiently spec as possible.

Are their any squabbles about allowing the Titan motors? From what I've seen, Stock motors are faster then them...

Last edited by WisdomRacing; 06-18-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

IMO, if you're trying to look out for the noobs, then allow Titan motors only, and leave the 27T out. One less thing to buy and tune.

We had a race of 9 of these last weekend at a different track and between 6 cell nimh and 2s lipo, there was not a distinct advantage to either.

My humble suggestion is to keep this "fun class" as simple as possible. If people want to be hardcore about things, they can go back to buggy and truck.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WisdomRacing
***Update based on feedback from other discussion

**Lipo is allowed, HOWEVER in order to run it you must add weight to equate what the average nimh/nicd pack weighs.
Solder ability, guage and length of wire, capacity of the cell, plug/no plug all would be factors trying to balance NiMH Vs Lipo weight.

You will be better off to just have a Minimum Weight for the truck ready to race.

What if someone shows up with a custom painted body that is lighter in weight than the factory body will decals applied?

Overall Minimum Weight of the Vehicle is what you should focus on.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well the problem I see with the Titan motors is that they're sealed cans...no changing brushes or cutting comms. If it starts to wear out, you'll have to replace it.

As far as simplicity, I feel like the rules are pretty simple. If you want you can run what comes with the truck or buy a Stock motor.

Lipos are generally used by more advanced users, meaning that they'll be familiar already with adding weight. If you want to run NICD/NIMH then your set. This way both noobs and more advanced rc'ers can run the class.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

sigh
Old 06-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JDCrow
Solder ability, guage and length of wire, plug/no plug all would be factors trying to balance NiMH Vs Lipo weight.

You will be better off to just have a Minimum Weight for the truck ready to race.

What if someone shows up with a custom painted body that is lighter in weight than the factory body will decals applied?

Overall Minimum Weight of the Vehicle is what you should focus on.
I'm not trying to split hairs here. If we were to get that technical then what about people running lighter receivers? Lipos are generally what...half the weight of 6 cells? If we can equalize that to any extent, the noobs will be happy.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Lipos are generally used by more advanced users, meaning that they'll be familiar already with adding weight.
I think that the truth is exactly the opposite.

All the hard-core guys I know run NiMh, because they run the big races and they're looking for every bit of performance. The "I just race to have fun" guys (myself included) run Lipo because it's simpler and cheaper.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

I'm not trying to split hairs here. If we were to get that technical then what about people running lighter receivers? Lipos are generally what...half the weight of 6 cells? If we can equalize that to any extent, the noobs will be happy.
9 ounces for a 4800 platinum
14 ounces for a 3300 stick pack (with wires and connector)

Older batteries are lighter, newer ones are heavier.

I kinda have a hunch there won't be many "noobs" at OCRC.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

FWIW -- I am literally deciding at this minute which direction to drive tonight (with my Slash)...drive out to OCRC or to Pegasus.

OCRC = longer drive, $20 and that old So-Cal drama over split hairs.

Pegasus = slightly shorter drive, $10 and no drama.

My decision is becoming clearer by the moment...LOL
Old 06-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I agree that an overall weight should be used. Just take the weight of a stock Slash with a GP3300 pack, and let that be the minimum weight.

one thing that I found interesting at least as they do in the sedan world (I think USVTA local clubbing rules for one particular club?) was the top three who won for that week needed to add X amount of weight to the vehicle for the next week. I guess that kept racing really close and fun. With the way the chassis is on the slash, looks like you could add a lot of weight.

Anyone try a stock brushless setup (17.5) with lipo or 6cell in the slash and compare it to the titans or a stock motor?

Good luck. I hope something like this would gain interest here.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
I think that the truth is exactly the opposite.

All the hard-core guys I know run NiMh, because they run the big races and they're looking for every bit of performance. The "I just race to have fun" guys (myself included) run Lipo because it's simpler and cheaper.
That's not the vibe I've been getting from the noobs over on the other forum. They all use 6 cell packs. I never realized lipo was cheaper then nimh/nicd...that's news to me.

Is it really that difficult/expensive/nerve racking to buy some stick on weights from the shop?

I haven't been getting very much feedback on here, so all the discussion has been taking place over on the other forum. All of a sudden I post their feelings on the subject and everyone comes out of the wood work saying how complicated it is to throw on a couple weights.

I'd like to restate that I am NOT a race organizer. I'm trying to mediate between a couple different groups and apparently am doing a horrible job because now no one on here seems to be happy. This class, to me, would be all for fun. I wouldn't really care so much about winning...but it would be nice to know that no one else has an advantage over me...I get enough of that as it is. Please rather then scrutinizing, tell me what you guys want.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.