Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas Slash Spec Class at OC/RC

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Traxxas Slash Spec Class at OC/RC

I'd like to get a spec class together for these cool CORR style trucks.

I was thinking if Robert decides to do a Wednesday night series, we could do that, too!

My thoughts:

Steering servo: Traxxas #2075
ESC: Traxxas XL5
Motor: 12T Titan Motor OR 27t Stock motor
Battery: 6 cell Nimh or Nicad, 2 cell Lipo**
Receiver/radio: Open

**Lipo will be allowed, however if used, weight must be added to vehicle in order to equal the average weight of a 6 cell NIMH/NICD battery pack.

Shocks: Open
Gearing: Open

I'm in no way an administrator or race organizer. I'm just trying to get the ball rolling because I really want a reason to grab one of these!

Also, if there are any suggestions on what the limitations are, just post them up. There are a few people from the off-road forum (1:1 of course!) I frequent that are also interested.

Thread running on Off-Road forum:
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45137

Who's in??

Last edited by WisdomRacing; 06-18-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

If I were you, I wouldn't start off by eliminating Lipos. Most anyone who's just getting into R/C would have to have a screw loose to buy into NiMh at this point. I know it would keep me from running mine there...I'm not buying special batteries for one track.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Im not from Ca.. but in Dallas lipos are takin over... i love my new Corr truck and currently have a small collection of 7.4v lipos that i use on it... The truck runs fantastic on these... i cant imagine throwing some of my old nimh in it.,..
Old 06-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Last Saturday at Pegasus they had a full race almost enough for two of the Slash qualifiers and in the main there where 9 trucks, They are expecting more people next weekend too. I know its grabing out there, it will just take some time. When you have that many truck together it looks awesome.

I would say Yes to Lipo's too.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
If I were you, I wouldn't start off by eliminating Lipos. Most anyone who's just getting into R/C would have to have a screw loose to buy into NiMh at this point. I know it would keep me from running mine there...I'm not buying special batteries for one track.
Great idea starting a Slash spec class, but +1 on the lipo comment by Turbo
Old 06-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Josh, were you at Pegasus at the last Peg race? I was the one with the white Slash. It was hard to miss, as everyone else left their bodies stock. Kinda put a target on my back though..
Old 06-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Yeah I don't think that 2s LiPo has any advantage over 6 cell NiMh in this spec class. The XL-5 will only pull a max of 60 amps and even average packs will provide that.

At the local track they allow LiPos and I won with 6 cell Nimh, didn't really feel that I was lacking anything. The only advantage would be that LiPos will stay more even on delivery as the time runs on, but I didn't have any issues with 5 minutes on nickel packs.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I raced at Pegasus on Saturday and thought it was a blast!

here is my take to get the most fun out of the class.......

FIRST HEAT( the qualifier)-
Just like the many other styles racing this is where you qualify for the Racing, run just one Qualifier.

TWO RACE format, run one race score points accordingly for the overall.

RACE ONE-

start on where you qulaified-

RACE TWO-
inverted to how race one finished-

best finish between the two races wins the overall.

this is where it could be really fun....

Races will be 6 minutes with a competition yellow at the 3 minute mark......how you cross the finish line after 3 minutes is how you will restart for the next 3 minutes......nobody likes a "boat race"

because you can "race" these trucks side by side is a good thing and this gets everyone back together.

Just think of what is the most exciting part of racing, the start....it really sucks when you have ONE race a night and you get off to a bad start....with this format you get two starts per race(competition yellow) and two point scoring races. In one night you get four race starts instead of one......

just my thoughts

I also like the idea of having to run numbers on the truck.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Glad to see there's so much interest. I updated the initial post to allow lipo. What do you guys think about motor? From what I've seen, the Titan won't clear any of the doubles at OCRC, but I guess if no one can clear them it doesn't matter...?

dhc - I like your idea on the format. If we go ahead with this, we'd have to get Robert's approval on ideas with the format. I'll PM Robert asking what he thinks.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stitchy
Josh, were you at Pegasus at the last Peg race? I was the one with the white Slash. It was hard to miss, as everyone else left their bodies stock. Kinda put a target on my back though..
I went down there and stopped by for the main but then left to eat at Hooters.......

I do remember seeing your truck but it was kinda a flash because with all the trucks running there so much to look at. I want to run this Saturday but we will see, If not this Saturday I will be there next Saturday for sure, I will make sure I say Hi next time.

Hey Wisdom- The OCRC track isnt very Slash friendly with the stock motor, I totally agree with you on that for that track but finding a motor that everyone can run to make it fair is going to be tough.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by What up?
I...
Hey Wisdom- The OCRC track isnt very Slash friendly with the stock motor, I totally agree with you on that for that track but finding a motor that everyone can run to make it fair is going to be tough.
How about one of these in a 10.5

I would think most people (who already 'race' on all levels) have a Brushless speedo already, Just need a motor... Let all the NOOBs (for lack opf a better term, aka first timers) duke it out Box Stock so's they dont break their new toys rite away..

just a thought..
Old 06-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OSherman
How about one of these in a 10.5

I would think most people (who already 'race' on all levels) have a Brushless speedo already, Just need a motor... Let all the NOOBs (for lack opf a better term, aka first timers) duke it out Box Stock so's they dont break their new toys rite away..

just a thought..
That might work......
Old 06-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

I don't know man. So are thinking we run 2 separate Slash races, one stock group and one modified? It'd work if we could get enough people...It all depends on what people are willing to do I suppose. Any outsiders want to give their thoughts on this?
Old 06-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Funny how a new body some small changes can get people all fired up about a truck! They do look cool but i dont see it working well at OCRC, arent they really big? About the same size as a 1/8 buggy from what i remember.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah they're very big. I want to race these for a few reasons:

-Scale look
-Wheel well coverage allows bumping (scale racing)
-Spec means plenty of competition for a cheaper cost

No matter how poorly these will work for the track, they will ALL work just as poorly. So everyone can be out of shape...together

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.