Wiki Posts
Search

Kyosho Lazer ZX-5 RTR help

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Kyosho Lazer ZX-5 RTR help

Hi everyone,

I have purchased myself a ZX5 recently and i love it to bits. It was my first off road car and i am asking myself why i didnt get one sooner!

Anyway, i am thinking of using my brushless setup that is currently in my TC4 FT. It is a Novak Velociti 3.5 and a Novak GTB speedy. Honestly, can someone tell me if it is over-kill putting a setup like this in a buggy.. I mean, am i going to kill the car? lol. And, if i do decide to put it in, does it actually fit? I dont want to go ahead and strip 2 cars down only to fit i cant fit it all under the shell.

At the moment the buggy is pretty much the way it came from the factory (apart from some dirt) but i am going to put some 3racing hop-up parts on it. i have ordered the carbon fibershock mounts, top plate, alloy steering assembly, shocks and a few other pieces. I am thinking of getting the carbon fiber chassis for it but im a little worried about the durability of it. I have heard some bad things about 3racing, can anyone confirm/deny this?

Thanks for reading and please give me an opinion on my situation
Old 06-12-2008, 12:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default GTB 3.5R

The GTB will fit in the ZX-5 but it a tight fit; you'll need the stock low profile fan that you may already have. I put mine in between the motor and a micro receiver that sits behind the steering servo. The capacitor is strapped to the middle of the upper deck using a small zip tie.

The 3.5R motor can be overkill if you plan on racing it on a local club dirt track. You may also encounter overheating issues. Unless you plan on racing in the street or jumping a house, consider a Novak 6.5 or 7.5; that's what the guys at the local track use for hard packed dirt.

I prefer the Novak 10.5 motor, it is just right for me and I don't have to worry so much about overheating. It clears the triples and then some. I run lipo 4800 Orion packs and run for about 20min and with a 10.5 it get's warm not scorching hot.

As for the 3Racing stuff, I couldn't help you. I myself was considering a cabon fiber chassis but until my main chassis breaks I will wait.

Last edited by rcjunkie3000; 06-12-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Ive read a fair bit about the SP conversion, what is it exactly and where would be the best place to get it from?

Also, where would i get a set of bushings (?) from, ive heard they are good for use with the alloy suspension carrier whatever it is called.

And should i rebuold the diff if i put the 3.5R in it?
Old 06-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I don't have answers to your other questions but to answer you question about the what the SP is exactly. It is a ZX-5 from the chassis and everything else in the middle but from the bulk head or hinge pins out everything else changes. The front and rear arms, hubs, carriers, CVDs, steering knuckle even the front wheels are different. The SP improves on handling and it has a lot of steering. I havent had the chance to compare but alot of guys notice a difference between the ZX-5 and the new ZX-5 SP.

If you can still find a conversion kit out there buy it but I think Kyosho only sells the full SP kit now or you can gather all the parts needed to convert yours.

A good thread to follow with the information you need is the Kyosho Offroad Electric Thread, it is updated every day:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...85386&page=202

The answer to your other questions are in there you just need to do a search in that thread by going into the thread and then selecting the search near the upper right hand side. If not, just post and Casper and RB Five have been really helpful.

Last edited by rcjunkie3000; 06-12-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

My friend has the same car as you, the RTR version and has basically upgraded it to SP status. He also has a bunch of carbon and alluminium bits from 3racing and they have proven to withstand alot of punishment(Even letting his girlfriend drive it which resulted in wide open throttle on the back stretch at the local indoor offroad track into the wall and only the arms on one side broke.)
He has broken the chassis twice(Stock one's) but thats from being retarted and hitting jumps resulting in over 10 feet of air. He has the Mamba sidewinder w/ 5700 motor and its more then enough!

I think upgrading to SP is well worth it!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Tech Rookie

ok, i am taking the plunge... i am going to strip down the TC4 and test fit it into the ZX-5. i will let you know how i go

if i do decide to put it in, would i need to rebuild the diff with ceremic ball bearings and heavy duty diff tube?