R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Probs with Sidewinder (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/223409-probs-sidewinder.html)

storcc 05-23-2008 02:13 PM

Probs with Sidewinder

Hello, I'm a new RC fan.

I just bought the Kyosho Lazer RTR with Castle Creations Sidewinder with 5700kv engine. I think it gets overheated (i felt on the engine and esc and it was really Hot) I have the original pinion on the 5700 engine.. the car runs great, great acceleration och high topspeed, but after about 5minutes of pretty rough driving it just stops. Once i turn the esc off and then on again it works for a couple of more minutes. Could this pinion be the problems? That the engine runs with to high revs?

Has anyone had this problem? How did you solve it?:confused:

Is a coolingfan something to recommend? Or maybe a hole in the body for extra aircooling to the esc?

I apologize for my english..I'm from sweden..;)

thanks!

happywing 05-23-2008 02:40 PM

It's definitely a thermal shutdown. Yes, it could be the pinion. What gearing are you using? Some small vent holes can help. Buggies generally run a little hotter because there's no circulation. A fan helps a lot, but they are a pain and you shouldn't need one. Try adding some cooling holes and dropping the pinion one tooth.

wyd 05-23-2008 02:41 PM

Sounds like it might be getting a little hot. I would run a smaller pinion and or larger spur gear or a combination of both. Holes in the body above where the speedo is would help as well. Could also use a small fan on the speedo as another option. Another thing is a using a lower timing on the motor if you have it set high.

storcc 05-23-2008 02:47 PM

thanks for your help.

I will try a smaler pinion.. and perhaps make a little vent hole in the body.
How can I tell if the ESC or the engine is getting to hot?

I run the default settings. But I might have to try a lower timing as you sad.

Thanks again!

storcc 05-23-2008 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by happywing (Post 4472999)
What gearing are you using?

I'm using the original gearing in the RTR set... I have no idea what that is.

wyd 05-23-2008 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by storcc (Post 4473013)
thanks for your help.

I will try a smaler pinion.. and perhaps make a little vent hole in the body.
How can I tell if the ESC or the engine is getting to hot?

I run the default settings. But I might have to try a lower timing as you sad.

Thanks again!

Normally a temp gun is the best way to check the temp.

rjs_13203 05-23-2008 10:16 PM

u should probably be running a 17. i run a 17 with a mm5700 zx-5 sp. also make sure ur mesh is not 2 tight

storcc 05-26-2008 12:40 AM

I now have a 15t pinion and the engine set on the lowest timing. The engine is cool as ice even after hard racing.
But there is still probs. I now think its something with the transmitter. I lost "connection" with my car after about 35-40meters... I'm gonna try new chrystals today and if that dosent work I will by a new radio and trasmitter..:cry:

wyd 05-26-2008 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by storcc (Post 4478452)
I now have a 15t pinion and the engine set on the lowest timing. The engine is cool as ice even after hard racing.
But there is still probs. I now think its something with the transmitter. I lost "connection" with my car after about 35-40meters... I'm gonna try new chrystals today and if that dosent work I will by a new radio and trasmitter..:cry:

Well its cool that you have the speedo and motor temps down. Normally its simple stuff to fix the problem.

For the radio new crystals is a good thing to try and if that don't work try another receiver if you have one to test with.

storcc 05-28-2008 05:04 AM

To night I'm gonna try a different transmitter, radio and even a stock engine and esc.
So today I'm gonna find the problem.:nod:

rjs_13203 05-28-2008 08:18 AM

make sure ur wires from ur esc to motor r as far away from receiver as u can get them, they will make ur radio glitch. i had to change to a 2.4 speky cuz of the same problem. i have also heard that the bullet connectors can also cause a problem, so u might want to short'n wires and get rid of them.

blue.coupe 05-28-2008 08:46 AM

I went to a 2.4 spektrum setup with my MM and fixed my glitching problems.

rjs_13203 05-28-2008 10:00 AM

me and brotheer law had to go to 2.4 to solve problem

wyd 05-28-2008 10:31 AM

Lots of things can cause glitching. If your batteries are not strong enough that can cause a problem, the connectors can be a problem unless your Sidewinder has the new Castle bullets which then the way they fit tight I then highly doubt that is you problem as they are excellent and fit alot better than the standard bullet connectors.

If you have bad crystals can cause a problem as well. Just too many things to think of right now but it is a few more ideas for you.

Creature 05-28-2008 01:00 PM

Yes, just for future reference remember that stock RTR gearing is normally going to be way to high for a faster, lower turn motor.

You might find yourself going to 2.4ghz like a lot of us have...it makes a lot of things easier and I've never had to worry about glitching since I made the leap.

If the Radio equipment is shot, consider a Spektrum DX2. Its budget friendly, comes with a nice receiver and servos, and Spektrum makes great stuff. Here is a link: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SPM20200 It is on backorder though. Should be in soon.

In the case that you do need a new radio, it will be beneficial in the long run to get a DX2 or similar 2.4ghz radio now rather than later when you really need it.