Search

Official: Novak's 1/8 Scale Nitro to Electric Conversion Kits

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up better cooling

Originally Posted by Murphster
Finished product.

Some changes to hopefully avoid thermaling issues. Don't know if it will help or not.

May cut the front window between the Novak and Racing and install more of the mesh that's covering the fan there.

I'm trying some of the concepts I have learned over the years Air-cooling PCs and videocards for overclocking.

This Home Theater PC has been overclocked by a full Ghz for two years now, inside a cabinet with purely air cooling.

[IMG][/IMG]

i would cut out the front area on the windshied and replace it with some screen material to allow more air inside the body i used some scrap balsa wood to make a frame to hold the screen to the body with some silicone sealant works great!!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

did novak go with a two battery or one battery setup
Old 06-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Company Representative

For suggested buggy installations, click on the photos in the listings. Some require both battery boxes; others, only one:

Ten Novak Conversion Kits Available

All of the kits include two battery boxes, straps and hardware.

Originally Posted by xxxtruck
did novak go with a two battery or one battery setup
Old 06-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Tech Regular

Exclamation lutach

Originally Posted by lutach
I haven't had a problem yet with my Hard RC-Monster pinion gears on RR 48T steel spur gear. The only thing that happens, is they just get a bit shiny where the contact is made. Sorry for all the pictures.

hey lutach which conversion is on your buggy i like motor mount on your
Old 06-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Pretty sure Lutach makes his own.

Question for NovakTwo.

I realize that you want to sell product, but will the new engine heatsink cool the motor(HV Maxx 6.5) appreciably more than the big one that came with my motor?

The companies moving into the Electric 1/8th scale space have been pretty close to the vest about delays, and quality control, so try to back it up with real test results, because if I buy it, I will test it, and be merciless in the boards if it looks like you've released something that obviously hasn't been tested well and/or is a waste of time and money. The guys that are so forgiving of Castle in releasing an ESC that obviously wasn't ready for primetime must have more disposible income and time than I do.

Any reason the Losi kit is taking longer? Not that it matters to me personally, as I ended up building my own after waiting for months for Novak to ship theirs.

Last edited by Murphster; 06-04-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by viperbill1963
hey lutach which conversion is on your buggy i like motor mount on your
I bought that one. I will be making a ARTR kit soon. I'm just waiting for the place that will be doing the chassis to get back to me.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

they have been testing for a while. I have the pro hv and 6.5 hv in revo and have ran 30 min no problem.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:55 AM
The Evicerator

Well I'm not NovakTwo, but I feel I can answer some of your questions

As far as the new heatsink arrangement: We feel that it does a better job of cooling the motor down than simply the original heatsink for a number of reasons:

1.) It has a fan mounted to it... airflow over a heatsink dramatically helps dissapate heat.

2.) The heatsink is connected to the motor plate...which is connected to the chassis...effectively sinking heat away from the motor into the chassis and using the chassis as usable heatsinking area.

When heatsinks are concerned, generally more surface area = more cooling.

As far as delay in releasing the Losi conversion kits, I think it has had something to do with waiting on batches of the motor plates to be completed.

Originally Posted by Murphster
Pretty sure Lutach makes his own.

Question for NovakTwo.

I realize that you want to sell product, but will the new engine heatsink cool the motor(HV Maxx 6.5) appreciably more than the big one that came with my motor?

The companies moving into the Electric 1/8th scale space have been pretty close to the vest about delays, and quality control, so try to back it up with real test results, because if I buy it, I will test it, and be merciless in the boards if it looks like you've released something that obviously hasn't been tested well and/or is a waste of time and money. The guys that are so forgiving of Castle in releasing an ESC that obviously wasn't ready for primetime must have more disposible income and time than I do.

Any reason the Losi kit is taking longer? Not that it matters to me personally, as I ended up building my own after waiting for months for Novak to ship theirs.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Steve for the response, you guys are usually on top of things as always. Having been a Novak customer for more than 25 years I can say that Bob and his company value their reputation very much and have always develped and marketed products that were in keeping with their high standards. I have no doubt that they have tested this product very throughly and its ready for "primetime". I may end up eating those words but I doubt it very much. My HV 6.5 system has been in two trucks so far and now its in my Ofna Ravager which I got the conversion kit for last night. It took me about 3 hrs. with beer breaks to install and I tested it on the road with foams in the dark to see if it was OK. It ran fine as I could tell from a short run, today after work I will put some knobbies on it and run it on the dirt track & see how it goes. So far so good, spur-pinion combo is a little loud but with the nitro motor in it I probably couldn't hear it before. Now its so quiet you can hear everything meshing. I'll get some photos and more run time on it and report back how it runs. Thanks Novak, keep it Orange!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default heat transfer paste

folks:
I see where the heat transfer paste is used from the motor to the heat sink. Would it be of advantage applied between the heat sink and mounting plate and from the mounting plate to the aluminum chassis? Is this paste similar to computer chip heat transfer paste? Thanks
Old 06-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have ran the novak 6.5 in my gorillamaxx race e-maxx for two years now and it has been good to me. I just got the jammin buggy done and it's been a nightmare. After a 5 minute heat, the esc and motor where 160 and the batts where warm also.(85 outside) and that's with 2 7.4 8000mah batts. It is pretty fast but overheats and drains the batts why to fast compared to the e-maxx. call novak and they have no suggestions.??? it has to be geared to high for there motors. I think i'm going to sell it.
Attached Thumbnails Official: Novak's 1/8 Scale Nitro to Electric Conversion Kits-buggy-inside.jpg  
Old 06-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I ran the 6.5 in a buggy and it worked out OK. The fans have to be working and the gearing has to be spot-on. I ran an MBX5 with 12/46 and it got hot. With 10/46 it was very cool, but slow. 11/46 was the ticket. There are no gearing choices. You have to find what works and stick with it.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

If you are running two separate LiPo packs with separate connectors with the Novak HV-Maxx speed control you should be aware that they get drained at different rates. My conjecture is that the BEC only runs off of only one of the 7.2V inputs. That means you should figure out which one is being drained more and run a 2-cell smart stop on that one pack. For example, I ran my 6.5 with two separate SMC 5000 packs for a 10 minute run (to see what my current consumption was to plan for racing). I fiound one pack took 3094 mAHr and the other took 3294 mAHr. So if you used a 4-cell smart stop, one of the packs would be over-discharged by the time the cut-off stops the car.

This is a repeatable situation, not an isolated occurrance (at least with my ESC). The pack connected to one specific connector always gets drained more, The difference depends on on how long the car was run.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta_man
If you are running two separate LiPo packs with separate connectors with the Novak HV-Maxx speed control you should be aware that they get drained at different rates. My conjecture is that the BEC only runs off of only one of the 7.2V inputs. That means you should figure out which one is being drained more and run a 2-cell smart stop on that one pack. For example, I ran my 6.5 with two separate SMC 5000 packs for a 10 minute run (to see what my current consumption was to plan for racing). I fiound one pack took 3094 mAHr and the other took 3294 mAHr. So if you used a 4-cell smart stop, one of the packs would be over-discharged by the time the cut-off stops the car.

This is a repeatable situation, not an isolated occurrance (at least with my ESC). The pack connected to one specific connector always gets drained more, The difference depends on on how long the car was run.
ya, I'm very awair of that. that's novak for you.
In my buggy i have the gear novak recomends for the jammin(11) that's the smallest they make.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Is this situation of unequal draining true with the new HV Pro? Does anyone know? Thanks for input.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.