Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tamiya DF03 spur/pinion gears >

Tamiya DF03 spur/pinion gears

Tamiya DF03 spur/pinion gears

Old 05-20-2008, 02:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Tamiya DF03 spur/pinion gears

I have am thinking of buying a Tamiya DF03 dark impact from a mate. The spur/pinion gears are very noisy. I have heard that the gears on these are
48p but not standard 48. I was told that Tamiya have their own 48p with a slightly different profile that doesn't quite mesh with other 48 gears which makes them very noisy. Is this right? Please help.

Terry
Old 05-20-2008, 02:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The gears are 0.5 module gears, and they work fine.

It is usually when people try to use 48dp pinions with the kit spur gear that you get the noise.

0.5 pinions are hard to find though - but some HK shops sell the Tamiya ones, albeit only a limited range.

Kawada make an adapter which allows you to run normal 48dp spurs with the Tamiya Slipper clutch.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default DF03

Thanks for the help. I have got standard 48p pinion on it so I will try to get the adaptor. A bit less noise would be good.
Terry
Old 05-20-2008, 06:44 AM
Tech Addict

adaptor huh. from my weak memory you can very easily put a B4 spur and pads on the Tamiya df03 slipper no problems at all and no adaptor needed. Ream the inner hole on the spur slowly - a little at a time from either side until it just slips over. There is no problem with wobble since it is clamped by the pads - the centre hole only needs to keep it centered. Takes 30 seconds.