Community
Wiki Posts
Search

blue aluminum swrews

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 12:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Angry blue aluminum swrews

is it just me or are blue aluminum swrews weak and are very easy to strip. I hear all the rave about them but i just dont see it. could i may goten a bad batch?

thanks
Old 08-02-2003, 09:42 AM
Tech Adept

they're like really soft because they're really light alluminum. the advantage is they make the car lighter but you gotta be carefull.
I shouldn't talk though because I have trouble even with the steel screws
Old 08-02-2003, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Dirk's right -- they're light and weak. We use 'em in places that don't take too much stress or aren't totally important: holding in the transponder mount, or holding on the front body mounts on the truck. Most places we stick to steel.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

Aluminum screws, no matter what the color are a waste in most applications. The weight savings is very small and the durability of the screws is nill. They are fine for low stress applications that don't get removed a lot: Servo mount screws, transponer mount, wire hold downs, wing mounts on the body, etc.

NEVER use them for any critical mounting points - Shocks, suspension, transmission, etc.

Most of the plastic we use in today's cars is stronger than the aluminum screws available.

What good is saving a .1 oz of weight if you don't finish a race because your car is setting on the sidelines broken.