Ryan Cavalieri in RCCA interview. >

Ryan Cavalieri in RCCA interview.

Ryan Cavalieri in RCCA interview.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:24 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scott54
I don't think it was a poor answer at all. Yeah, he could have answered with a "politically correct" answer but that wouldn't be honest. I think a lot of people DON'T realize what's on the line. He was honest. And honestly, how many of us have wondered at one time or another what kind of money they do make. And I also witnessed him helping some people out at CRCRC.... just goes to show that one action taken the wrong way, when he races in the public eye EVERY WEEKEND, can overshadow years of positive contribution.

He's still one hell of a driver.
Two of my buddies went to CRCRC for the big race. They pitted near Ryan all week. They talked with him on and off all weekend and answered all kinds of stuff for them and one didn't even run Associated cars. They said it was like knew him a long time and they had a great time. Ryan was nothing but helpful all week. My buddies where super impressed with how much time he spent talking with fellow pros and all the other racers that stopped by. They said his pit was like John Forces with tons of people around all the time. Not once did he blow anyone off. They couldn't wait to go to another race that Ryan would be at.

They had the same at the Cactus race this year. Ryan was again great to them and even knew who they where from CRCRC the months before.

If the internet wasn't around this wouldn't even be talked about that much. Only now will everyone make a big deal because "Computer Rambo" posted something about it. You wonder why any big name person on any sport or movies would bother with half the people with stuff like this going on.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SQC049
Nobody is disputing the fact that he deserves to get pissed if he has problems during the race, because this is the way he makes his living.

I think people have issue with the fact that he brought up the $1,000 comment...
I think this summed it up... the monetary thing probably should not have been brought up. But, what's said is done. As others have said, Ryan and many other factory drivers are approachable and will answer your questions. Joe Pillars is a prime example. We had a qualifier together at Trackside back in December, and after the race I asked him what M4 locknuts his teams uses or work well. He said to stop over by his pit and he'd give me some new ones. That gesture to help anyone out was very much appreciated!

Last edited by AaronR; 05-13-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

By a weird twist of fate, this thread has made Cavalieri the most interesting driver in all of R/C; as well as boosted RCCA's worth. All I want in the world is to read this article now.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:34 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

A few people on here have mentioned that the standard has been set high for factory drivers by people like BK and MF. I'm not going to argue that at all, there have been a lot of great guys at the top, but what does it take to live to that standard? I've never seen Ryan turn down someone asking a question, a part, an autograph, or just coming over to talk to a pro driver for the first time. Is he really not living up to the high standards that have been set by the past greats?

I've obviously been on RCTech a lot over the past few years, and I've seen a lot of posts that made me think "what the hell are they saying?!?" but you can't judge the person based on one post, or one interview for that matter.

Think about an average club race, I guarantee everyone here has seen a driver yelling and screaming because someone just bumped them and cost them a race, it's frustrating, but that race wasn't paying their rent. Living in Southern California isn't cheap, a descent 2 bedroom apartment will cost over $2k a month, think about how frustrated you would be if someone bumped you on the track and just cost you your portion of the rent.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What month is this article in? I just got the new RCCA (July 08) and I couldn't find the article. It's probably last months RCCA.

If I were a top gun like these guys, eventually I would get tired of all the same questions, setup tips, battery tips, etc etc.

Getting mad at a guy who costs you money is nothing new. Jeff Gordon wasn't very happy with Dale Jr a couple weeks ago at Talladega in NA$CAR.

I admire him for being honest. I have never met him, but I heard he is very friendly, and someone else told me he was cocky. He can be what ever he wants because at that level the big money is at stake.

Last edited by d4man; 05-13-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yes, last month's issue.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stitchy
Yes, last month's issue.
Many thanks!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy Caster
Think about an average club race, I guarantee everyone here has seen a driver yelling and screaming because someone just bumped them and cost them a race, it's frustrating, but that race wasn't paying their rent. Living in Southern California isn't cheap, a descent 2 bedroom apartment will cost over $2k a month, think about how frustrated you would be if someone bumped you on the track and just cost you your portion of the rent.
this is very true...
Old 05-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ck out this video. After Matsuzaki wins the worlds several drivers congratulate him on his win. Cav was standing right next to him and turns around and says nothing. You make your own conclusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDXzCQ7Qpjk
Old 05-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well of course. You as a manufacturer wouldn't want your driver acknowledging he was beaten by a rival team, would you?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
Well of course. You as a manufacturer wouldn't want your driver acknowledging he was beaten by a rival team, would you?
yeah.... sure..... considering they were running the same chassis......
Old 05-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Randy Caster
A few people on here have mentioned that the standard has been set high for factory drivers by people like BK and MF. I'm not going to argue that at all, there have been a lot of great guys at the top, but what does it take to live to that standard? I've never seen Ryan turn down someone asking a question, a part, an autograph, or just coming over to talk to a pro driver for the first time. Is he really not living up to the high standards that have been set by the past greats?

I've obviously been on RCTech a lot over the past few years, and I've seen a lot of posts that made me think "what the hell are they saying?!?" but you can't judge the person based on one post, or one interview for that matter.

He should have worded things differently.

This is actually a good lesson for the younger guys reading RCTech..bonuses should be treated as such and not as a requirement to pay the rent or your car payment.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
Yes I would, its called sportsmanship. I can't tell if you are being facetious or not....I hope you are.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
He should have worded things differently.

This is actually a good lesson for the younger guys reading RCTech..bonuses should be treated as such and not as a requirement to pay the rent or your car payment.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SQC049
Yes I would, its called sportsmanship. I can't tell if you are being facetious or not....I hope you are.
If you beat me with your yoke don't expect a reach around cause i drive a kyosho.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.