R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2008, 11:36 AM   #31
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

To each his own.

I would be pissed too if a slower driver was cutting in to the money that was paying for my bills. Nascar drivers get pissed, and so do moto-crossers. Any one in racing will get aggravated.

As for being a pillar of perfection to the public, I dont blame any of the pros for brushing any of us off.

They have ehough to do between there jobs, set ups, practices and the fans that are always around. I am sure everyone wants a piece of there time and 99% of the time I am sure its the same questions over and over.

What do you run, what is your set up, what tires do you have. After you hear the same question over and over it gets very old, and fast. Kind of like on here when a newb posts What buggy should I get? What motor shoud I get? Should I wipe front to back of back to front? - then the newb gets flamed.

I greatly appericate when the pros give me a minute or two, but look at it from there point of view, or on a different level, a celebrity getting bothered for autographs every where they go, with little to no privacy.
Original RC 10T, T4, RC8Te, Tekin RX8. Losi Ten SCTE, Slash 4x4.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #32
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joe Pillars View Post
Yea, we sponsor Jason Schlick so I figured it wasnt him.

You said you were gonna make me cry with your B4 skillz....

I just wanted to know who you were?? Thats all.
Theres some confusion here, Jnslprd is Joe as well. He races with me and was making fun of me. so i posted that under his post in quotations.

I couldn't beat you Mr. Pillars i know you got insane r/c skillz !
Island Raceway & Hobby / Lucky7 / Team Bad Guys
Old 05-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #33
Tech Initiate

I think ALL factory guys could take a lesson from Brian Kinwald and Matt Francis- Two of the nicest guys to ever represent RC. Not saying anything bad about anyone else, but these guys set the bar.
Travis Sewell
Mechanical Engineer

Old 05-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #34
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

there was another great article in the same issue i guess some of you missed it , but , What about that awesome 4 stroke rc motorcycle built by Nolan Farmer??
Old 05-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #35
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I met/chatted briefly with him in our hotel at breakfast at CRCRC and he seemed alright (he doesn't know me from Adam either). I read the article as well and thought he could have chose his wording a little better as it makes him come across a little bad perhaps. (sidenote: It's funny, I have a video of me bobbling in front of him and he crashes into me on my blog *doh!*). While I am not at his level in RC, I used to be a Pro Mountain Bike Racer and one of the things you were told/taught early on was to never discuss your deals or contract details in public...ever. Part of being a Professional is well....be Professional! It must be a little tough though being a young paid driver. I am sure they get little coaching on how to handle press interviews etc (unlike guys in bigger sports). I don't think you can fault the kid too much as it was just one interview.
"Almost Live Race Coverage": www.johnnyboy.ca

.:Team Orion : JConcepts : B-Fast RC:.

Last edited by johnnyboy; 05-12-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #36
Tech Regular
Send a message via AIM to Hodapp Send a message via Yahoo to Hodapp

You can't really be too hard on the kid for his answers. The well educated people who read that article will most definitely have a tendency to laugh at the answers. You have to keep it all in perspective. All he knows is racing RC Cars. I don't think he ever had a chance to take a speech class or had the opportunity to thrive in a normal school environment where most of those basic skills are aquired. He was home schooled so he could spend more time at the track, which seems to be a popular trend in RC these days.

Last edited by Hodapp; 05-12-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #37
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
there was another great article in the same issue i guess some of you missed it , but , What about that awesome 4 stroke rc motorcycle built by Nolan Farmer??
That motorcycle was amazing. That was probably one of the better articles i read in that magazine.
Island Raceway & Hobby / Lucky7 / Team Bad Guys
Old 05-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #38
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via AIM to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via MSN to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked-Wayz

Originally Posted by TSewell View Post
I think ALL factory guys could take a lesson from Brian Kinwald and Matt Francis- Two of the nicest guys to ever represent RC. Not saying anything bad about anyone else, but these guys set the bar.
Through racing at trackside I have gotten to meet alot of pro's. There is only a few that I have met that I think are kind of snobby. Ryan at first seemed snobby. That was way before I even said anything. I said hi and asked how everything was. After that we talked for about 15mins. He was a really nice guy to talk to and maybe he was having an off day.

Brian Kinwald & Paul L. are two of the nicest guys I have ever met. There are more including francis.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Schacht Design Works Trackside Hobbies Dirtheaven CRC Hobbies MidWest Tri-Clone RC Scoring Pro LiveRc.com 92 Zero Designs
Old 05-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #39
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
<- Proud to be corporate sponsored

Nah, I really have very little to no respect for factory drivers. Billy Easton lives in our area and drops by S&N's Trackside every now and then, and lemme tell ya, unless you've got some big factory deal like he does he won't even look at you twice. Back when he raced for Losi a buddy of mine was chatting him up for setup advice and mid-sentence Easton stops him and asks if he races a Losi. My buddy says "no, I run Associated" and Easton without missing a beat says goodbye and walks away. So yeah, I know where RB FIVE is coming from when he says Cav's a tool, most of them are. These guys easily forget you're not just being paid to race, but you're also being paid to be a company spokesperson at each race you attend, so if all you're going to do is ride your high horse and blow off every non-pro that comes your way, well f**k you too.

Possible exception to Paul Lemieux, he races at S&N's a lot too and he seems like an OK guy.
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
My problem is unless you walk in their shoes you can never imagine what it is really like.

I will agree Paul Lemieux is a super nice. Talked with him a few times when he was at Custom Works and can't say nothing but good things about. Great guy all around.

Only met a few pros ever but they where all cool.
Cav's a tool?

All he said is a position can cost him money, I never seen anywhere where he blew off people. Don't know Ryan, but I've actually seen him help out alot of people at the local tracks. He also helped out my friend solder his motor up just before his race.

RC magazine interviews just used to be questions like "whats your favorite/first car, when did you start racing, blah blah.. get a little insight on a person and you get persecuted on the internet.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #40
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have talked with the guy and hes always been really nice. When he pitted behind me at trackside one year he was very helpful to all who came up to him and ask for help, no matter how simple it was. He is pretty much the best in off road so i gues it is natural for people to dislike him.
Aaron Eide

Wells Fargo Home Team
Old 05-12-2008, 02:50 PM   #41
Tech Master

Funny how most people form an opinion of somebody without meeting them, or even reading the article. Add in the fact most people hide behind an internet name like "cookieeater21" and it's even more lame.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #42
Tech Adept

Last edited by C.Poh; 05-12-2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: because
Old 05-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #43
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

until you walk in someone elses shoes it is always best to not form too negitive of an opinion. i have met a few team drivers and depending on what was going on they were either real nice or crabby racers are human
Mugen MBX5R - retired
SC-10.2 Avid Hobbywing Stock Spec Speed Passion
B4.1 SpeedPassion Reventon R 17.5
Tekno 410SCT Hobbywing ProSC
Old 05-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #44
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Rubbin's racing, it happens. Hey RB Five, remember Schumi yelling at Sato for taking him out awhile back? Classic moment...
Old 05-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #45
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yea, it doesn't bother me that the pro racers make comments like that. for some, r/c is what they do for a living and they practice and work hard to compete at that level. yea, he could have worded it different...but oh well. its when they walk around like their sh;* don't stink that bothers me. you ask some pros for a little tuning advice and they blow you off....way to represent your companies. the other thing is local club racers screaming and cussing like they do get paid to do this. anyway i still do this for fun and have a blast. i'm all for driving hard, competing and clean racing.
Closed Thread