Search

Jump size?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Jump size?

This is a follow up post to the one in the "Rookie Zone" about Track Layout Q's

OK, you have a 35' X 60' foot space to build a track. What would you consider the average size jump you would put in for 1/10 electric or even gas buggy or truck? Without getting into a debate about width, length of straight, how it's marshalled, etc. just in general, and as a gut feel what would be a good average size jump to put in at any point in the track layout.

Vote on one of the following

1"-12"
13" - 24"
25" - 36"
37" - 48"
49" - 56"
>56"
Old 05-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Suspended

TROLL ALERT -- "An Internet troll is a person who delights in sowing discord on discussion boards and chat rooms. They, and it usually is a he, tries to start arguments and upset people. The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to reminding others not to respond to them. When you try to reason with a troll, he wins. When you insult a troll, he wins. When you scream at a troll, he wins. The only thing that trolls can't handle is being ignored.” http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

This kid only started this thread to cause further discord on another, that was fine until he started trying to suggest that 1/10th scale electric cars should or could be running the same big jumps as 1/8th scale nitros.

JUST IGNORE THIS THREAD
Old 05-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

25" - 36"
Old 05-09-2008, 12:34 PM

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by RocketRob40
TROLL ALERT -- "An Internet troll is a person who delights in sowing discord on discussion boards and chat rooms. They, and it usually is a he, tries to start arguments and upset people. The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to reminding others not to respond to them. When you try to reason with a troll, he wins. When you insult a troll, he wins. When you scream at a troll, he wins. The only thing that trolls can't handle is being ignored.” http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

This kid only started this thread to cause further discord on another, that was fine until he started trying to suggest that 1/10th scale electric cars should or could be running the same big jumps as 1/8th scale nitros.

JUST IGNORE THIS THREAD
dude he's asking for suggestions

probaly about 2-3 feet
Old 05-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

I agree 2 to 3 foot at the max.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BSS07
dude he's asking for suggestions

If his intent was to actually be helpful it would be one thing, but his sole intent was to perpetuate an argument he started in another thread - and since he did his ultimate best to highjack that one, I just thought folks should know before wasting their time weighing in here.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=220622

"I no expert, and am a far cry from a track builder. 4 foot high is more like it for a Medium. 6 - 8 foot high for large. and 2- 3 foot for a small."
Old 05-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Rocket rob, it's nice of you to point that out, but it really seems like you are the guy starting the argument. Had I not read your latest post, I would've thought that--but I understand what you are saying.

However, the way he posed the question was in no way trying to "start" an argument. He was not suggesting anything at all in that first post. So...

Are these measurements the actual height of the jump, or the ramp/mound itself?
Old 05-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mooshu Beef
Rocket rob, it's nice of you to point that out, but it really seems like you are the guy starting the argument. Had I not read your latest post, I would've thought that--but I understand what you are saying.

However, the way he posed the question was in no way trying to "start" an argument. He was not suggesting anything at all in that first post. So...
Then I'll put in the start of his post. It wasn't a question, it was a statement of fact.

"Rob, I think you're way off on your height recommendations ....."

And when one starts suggesting things like 7-8 ft jumps for someone's small backyard 1/10th scale track......well..........
......... that's doing more harm than good.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

I would say mound height. Of course shape of the face of the jump has alot to do with the height you get of the jump too. I recently raced at a big money race about a month ago and it had an 1/8 scale X games style jumps on it and it was murderous on 1/10 scale. Especially 1/10 2wd buggy. They were breaking left and right. You had to perfectly downside the jumps or you would break.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Tech Initiate

This outta be interesting......

I can't really vote, cuz....well...I'm a rookie who fell right off the turnip truck yesterday. I don't know my a-- from a hole in the ground!! REALLY!

So let's hear your votes and let's hear what everyone has seen and done!!

And just to clarify...the track is 36' X 70' (8' Lanes)

http://vircclub.googlepages.com/Final-Track.gif
Old 05-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Suspended

i'm happy you enjoyed it so much......
Old 05-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Tech Addict

This is just "in general" the height of the mound regardless of lip etc. This is a general question so that 4life might have an idea of how to build his jumps.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Tech Initiate

EXACTLY!!...I need to know this stuff...help me!! And I need to know what kind of "lips" etc...I don't know anything. Can someone take a good picture or 8 of some jumps at their local track? I have NO tracks within 100 miles

I'm just trying to build a good jump and track
Old 05-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by christ4life7
EXACTLY!!...I need to know this stuff...help me!! And I need to know what kind of "lips" etc...I don't know anything. Can someone take a good picture or 8 of some jumps at their local track? I have NO tracks within 100 miles

I'm just trying to build a good jump and track
Maybe you should have thought about that while you were having such a good time. I'd sent my son to our local track to take a bunch of pics as examples..... but they've long since gone in the delete bin.

good luck
Old 05-10-2008, 04:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Well, I apologize for asking for help. I think maybe you should seek medical attention.....geez

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.