Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tuning questions for my Fantom FR12

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 03:44 PM
Tech Adept

Arrow Tuning questions for my Fantom FR12

My Fantom FR12 engine is brand new and I was just breaking it in exactly how the instructions tell you to. Since it has ABSC construction it is different and you don't let it idle much and blah blah blah, its not really the important part.

Anyway, After about 4 tanks of half throttle I was leaning it out a bit. By now it probably only 3/8 of a turn in from what the factory set was. So the problem is that every time the car is slowing down to about jogging pace and then if i just tap on the break to stop the car it will die on me. I forgot what this is a syptom of. I don't think its to lean because i have only adjusted the high speed needle 3 times using 1/8 of a turn.

And the whole time (ran about 6 tanks through it) it never even got above 225. The instructions say that 230 is best for breakin because thats when the piston and sleeve expand enough to fit right. I was doing about 3/4 throttle runs back and forth down my street too. I don't know if this is a problem or not. (FYI: it was about 80 outside with a little breeze).

and im just adding this in but i was using the pro exotics temp gauge. Seems to be working pretty well for me. I will soon test it on boiling water to see how accurate it is. What a bummer if its way off. I think its accurate though.

thanks - and sory for make you read this much
Old 07-30-2003, 05:16 PM
Tech Regular

If your engine stalls only when you hit the brakes then it's either your throttle linkage/servo is holding the throttle open a little while at neutral and the idle speed isn't high enough or your clutch or something in that area is dragging.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:07 PM
Tech Adept

Arrow

do you think taking some material of the clutch shoes would help?

and I checked the brake linkage and it working just fine and the idle position on the carb doesn't move when i hit the brakes eighter.

thanks

EDIT: It does stall a lot also when the car drifts to a stop and just idles for no more than 3 seconds.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:03 PM
Tech Regular

With the engine off and spur gear off spin the clutch bell to see if it spins freely, if does then are good there. If doesn't and you used all the stock parts that came with the car, i.e. bell, shoes, spring, flywheel then you need to take that apart and make sure you have them installed and seated correctly. If everything spins free with engine off then fire it up and let it idle while held in the air, if tires spin then set car on the ground, if rpm drop then clutch is dragging and you should lighten your shoes or use a stiffer spring. Which Fantom engine do you have, red or brown head? Side or rear exhuast? Rotary or slide carb?
Old 07-31-2003, 09:36 AM
Tech Adept

Arrow

I have the 2003 model (red heatsink) its pullstart, side exhaust, and rotory carb.

I don't think I will be able to get it to idle long enough. The thing constantly needs blipping when at a standstill or it will die.

And i just checked, everything is spinning freely.

I think i will try taking some weight off of the clutch shoes. Because I haven't done anything to them before.

thanks
Old 07-31-2003, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

If your wheels don't spin with engine on and car off the ground then you don't need to do anything to the clutch. So you need to tunr on your idle screw and/or bottom end needle, for that engine 1.5 turns out from closed on bottom and 2.5 turns out on top is good. If they do spin and when car is set on ground and the rpm drop or it dies then you do need to fix the clutch since it's dragging. Simple as that.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:04 PM
Tech Adept

Arrow

ok thanks
Old 08-01-2003, 06:45 AM
Tech Initiate

sounds to me like you need to lean out the low end needle. If it won't idle at a stand still then that is the problem. Lean it out until it stays at a constant rpm and then adjust your idle screw.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:26 AM
Tech Adept

Arrow

alright, i will try that too

Even if the problem is not in my clutch, does anybody think it would be smart to get an MIP 4 in 1 clutch for my RC10GT?

thanks
Old 08-02-2003, 06:25 AM
Tech Adept

Arrow

ok, heres an update, when I pick the car up off the ground while it idling, the wheels do spin, but when I set it down i don't hear a change in rpm.

and does anybody know a site where it describes in very good detail how to tune the engine. the RCCA website used to have it but now its gone!

thanks
Old 08-02-2003, 07:15 AM
Tech Initiate

go to www.parisracing.com and look under tips
Old 08-02-2003, 08:35 AM
Tech Adept

Arrow

thanks jswinkos, that site helped a ton!