Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless or LIPO

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Brushless or LIPO

Hi Everyone,

I'm reletively new (5 months) to RC and looking for upgrade advice. I currently run a Losi XXX BK2 (converted to CR) at my local track in the stock class. I'm looking at having a couple hundred dollars available to upgrade my car and am debating between moving to LIPO or going brushless. Currently my ESC can not handle a brushless motor (Novak XRS), but my local pro says I can attach a LIPO cutoff and go LIPO if I want. My question is, if you had to choose one, would you go brushless or LIPO?

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

brushless by far!!

consitant speed and most rc's are setup to handle the extra weight of nimh anyways

eventually you'll go with both, but brushless makes a bigger difference in my book
Old 05-07-2008, 07:25 AM
Tech Rookie

If you're allowed to run in the same class you'd better chose lipo cells, they are much lighter and give much more power. Be aware that you need your charger to support lipo!

In EP cars cells are more important thant motor.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I vote lipo. You only need one or two batteries, no discharging/maintenance. It lightens everything, including your toolbox!
Old 05-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I would choose Lipo first. The buggies don't work as well with the added weight of a brushless hanging out the back end. Lipo means more consistency, easier to take care of, and less weight to carry around. One caution I assume you have a charger that can properly charge Lipo.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I dunno i would go brushless first. Vast improvement over brushed maintenance. If you like motor maintenance and know how to keep a brushed motor running good then go lipo.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Brushless - I had a B4 and I went to brushless first. A 7.5 or even slower is plenty power and with brushless you get more run-time the way it is. Good point about the weight. Most cars on the market are designed for the weight of a NIMH pack. If you have decent nimh packs, start with brushless. This eliminates all loss of motor power from poor brushes and worn coms and saves you money so you can save for lipo later on. That is what I did.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I would say go brushless first. For 1 because the lipo scene is evolving dailyand you will want to try other batteriesall the time. Brushless isnt cheap you buy your combo first and I assume you will need a few more motors for all the reasons, so buy your combo and then look at batteries. Plus switching both at the same time is a huge difference so I suggest 1 at a time.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Don't forget, OP said he's new and running stock class. Depending on if his track is running the 17.5 rule, gearing may be a problem. For stock class, most people are reporting 27 turn is still faster than 17.5
Old 05-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

i would go brushless first, that way you do not have to buy a lipo cut-off. if your on a budget then no need to pay twice. later you can buy 2 lipo's down the road. just my 2 cents

http://www.BulldawgRC.com
Old 05-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Bacically here are the benefits of both.

Lipo will give you more power for a longer duration of time and it will weigh a lot less. You will be faster than with a comporable nimh battery with the same set up your runnning now.

Brushless - you will have 20% longer run times and power will be very similar to what you have now, if you buy a compariable motor.

Lipo batteries need a lipo specific charger so plan on buying both.

I have already done what your looking to do and If I would have to do it all over again I would buy the Lipo first. You already have a good motor and esc. Buy the lipo and use up your current motor. When its time to rebuild it, just replace it with the brusless at that time.

just my .o2

Either way you decide to go your making a good decision.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Guys! This is great. Keep the suggestions coming. My track allows us to use 13.5 brushless in the stock class so I'm thinking I'll get a little more punch than my 27T motor I have right now. Run time doesn't seem to be an issue so far, I have 3 NIMH packs right now that get me through the races I run currently. The packs could probably use a discharge cycle or two, but I'm not seeing too much degredation in them on the 5 minute runs yet. Thanks again.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'd probably go brushless first. your new ESC will have a lipo cutoff built in. When your batteries start going bad, you'll be ready to replace with lipo.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

At my local tracks the 13.5 is the spec for stock.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

My vote would be brushless ESC and motor, first, for the following reasons:

1. Consistent performance
2. Minimal maintenance
3. Longer run time with your existing batteries
4. You can go Lipo after your existing NiMH degrades/dies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.