Wiki Posts
Search

pros and cons of brushless vs non brushless

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default pros and cons of brushless vs non brushless

it looks like i might be getting back into electric racing,whats the good and bad about brushless vs no brushless?i always ran brushed motors back in the day.Do brushless get longer run times?and i also heard they are pretty much maintence free
Old 05-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Tech Addict

There is no "pro's" at all in using brushed motors. The sooner they are gone from the market the better.

Go brushless, You will be blown away by how much better they are.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

that is a good way of lookin at it.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Brushless do get longer runtimes. Very low maintenance as well. Open the can, blow out the dust (no motor spray), lube the bearings and you are good to go. As close to no maintenance as you can likely get. I am still running a 3 year? old ss5800 that I've never had any problems with.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile

go brushless and you will never want to go back to brushed. ever.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I made the switch to Lipo last fall (great) and to brushless this spring (best decision ever made). The reliability, cost reduction, maintenance, and performance of the new brushless systems is fantastic. You will get lots of disagreements about what is best but I think they all have great potential.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Speed control fires for brushless would be a con.

I've seen WAAAAAY more brushless systems go up in flames than brushed.

Actually I can only think of one brushed control that went up in flames other than user error stuff like reverse polarity and poor wiring.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

usually a brushless control will go up rather soon thats all i have seen they went up within the first 4 runs of a race but there are club rules and race specific rules most club races dont allow sensorless brushless systems which limits you to only a few if you are going to race so make sure you check into the local rules before you make a purchase

if a brushless controller goes up usually it will be a warranty issue especially if it is a gtb by novak i have beat the crap out of it with a 3.5 and even a modded 2.5 turn 8 wire that i made and it is a beast you cant go wrong with those i also like the lrp sphere as well good speed control hope i helped a lil bit
Old 05-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I honestly can't think of anything that brushed does better. The are less consistent;even after a comm. cut and new brushes the motor still might be down on power, constantly need maintenence, less ultimate power (wattage), much less low end torque, less run times and more heat (at the motor)

Only possible thing I could see brush having an advantage is in 2wd even with 8.5 and 10.5 motors they are a little torquey on the bottom which makes it a little tougher to find traction. Most brush motors have a milder bottom end. You can tune most of this out however on the radio or the esc.

Brushless rules.