Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAMIYA DURGA NEED PINION HALP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 03:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Smile TAMIYA DURGA NEED PINION HALP!

hi can someone please find out wat pinion gear i need for a novak 4.5 with a 91T spur gear i need to know for my tamiya DB-01 durga belt driven off road buggy thank u
Old 05-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

From the Novak website, the recommended FDR for 4wd with a 4.5 motor is 12. So start with a 17 pinion and go from there.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

You are going to need a big track to utilize that much power. Have you replaced all the plastic drive train parts with metal, put in the slipper, and rebuilt the diffs? If you haven't taken these steps, I think you will be melting the plastic parts very quickly.

Not saying it won't work, just that some carefully thought out upgrades are needed to put that motor in a four wheel like this.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:55 AM
Tech Initiate

thanks for da help guyz and yea im gona get a slipper clutch before i run it and i have rebuilt the diffs as for the drive train parts i dont know were to start little halp im new to the rc stuff thanks

o and i put the stock 17 in and it roles smoothly wat difference would a 12 make?

CANT WAIT TO GET IT RUNNING LOL
Old 05-06-2008, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GreGY
thanks for da help guyz and yea im gona get a slipper clutch before i run it and i have rebuilt the diffs as for the drive train parts i dont know were to start little halp im new to the rc stuff thanks

o and i put the stock 17 in and it roles smoothly wat difference would a 12 make?

CANT WAIT TO GET IT RUNNING LOL
you will never be able to use that much power , you will be alot better off with a 6.5 or even a 7.5 i bet your lap times will be alot faster than using the 4.5!!
Old 05-07-2008, 02:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
you will never be able to use that much power , you will be alot better off with a 6.5 or even a 7.5 i bet your lap times will be alot faster than using the 4.5!!
i will be able to use that much power since im not a track racer and im not the kinda guy that goes for track times and all that im mainly gona be paddock bashing it at top speeds JUST FOR FUN!!!!! HAHAH CANT WAIT!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I am running a 17tooth pinion with a Novak 8.5 brushless motor in my Durga.
The difference in the pinion gear size is the top speed/punch and how hot the motor/esc get. If your esc goes into thermal shutdown then use a smaller pinion. The smaller pinion will give it less top end speed but more punch off the line. The opposite is true for a larger pinion.