Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 converstion/motor mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mondenet
very helpfull cain thx. RCPD it is. I did not know about it but i saw it somewhere before on a other Rc8 conv-mod. Thx a lot
no problem. Dan has said he will have all pre-orders shipped by the end of this month, and should have RC8 conversions in stock too.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Key
What are the pros and cons of the electri-clutch system tekno uses? Is it really necessary?
Pros:
It will completely isolate any cogging effects. This is becoming more of a benefit as the torquey higher voltage/lower kv motor systems are becoming more popular.

It also allows the use of mechanical brakes to achieve true front/rear brake bias for faster cornering. This takes the braking burden off of the motor and ESC and results in cooler operating temperatures.

Since the clutch is disengaged while off throttle it will jump better because there is no motor resistance or drag brake on the drivetrain to nose the car down while in the air.

Hardened clutch bells have lasted us over a year and are still going strong. Pinions wear out faster.

Cons:
If you have great traction, direct drive will accelerate a tiny bit faster with the same exact setup. We still pull the nitros like nobody's business and have never had trouble clearing any jumps though.

Replacement of clutch bearings every once in a while depending on use and dust. The shoes don't wear as much as one might think. We've had clutch shoes last 9 months and they seem to get better with wear as they fully seat in to the clutch bell.

Some say there is added complexity, heat, and weight. It is more complex to set up with mechanical brakes, but it isn't rocket science. As for heat and wasted energy, this is not true. If the clutch is set up properly, it will end up being more efficient and cooler since your motor and ESC aren't generating/wasting heat while braking. There is added weight (about 1oz or so), but honestly, we've never been able to detect that it's heavier while driving
Old 05-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

tecnork... you say using a clutch will add only about 1oz? i dont think you are adding in the weight of the extra servo and mount bracket approx. 3oz, brake linkage and parts approx. 2oz and then the added weight of the clutch system vs pinion gear. i would guess it would add about 6+ ounces.
also all escs i know of actually generate a very small ammount of recharge during braking although i dont consider it enough to be a big factor.
some of the other pros and cons such as better jumping because of no drag brake can easily be overcome by adjusting your driving style a little.
wheather you use motor brakes or mechanical, you will have to adjust your driving style anyway simply due to the massive acceleration the electrics posses.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kvrc
tecnork... you say using a clutch will add only about 1oz? i dont think you are adding in the weight of the extra servo and mount bracket approx. 3oz, brake linkage and parts approx. 2oz and then the added weight of the clutch system vs pinion gear. i would guess it would add about 6+ ounces.
also all escs i know of actually generate a very small ammount of recharge during braking although i dont consider it enough to be a big factor.
some of the other pros and cons such as better jumping because of no drag brake can easily be overcome by adjusting your driving style a little.
wheather you use motor brakes or mechanical, you will have to adjust your driving style anyway simply due to the massive acceleration the electrics posses.
Sorry, I was just counting the clutch itself. You are correct, there is added weight for the servo and stuff, but the other benefits far outweigh it in our experience. We know this is a dicey subject and that not everyone is going to jump on the electric clutch bandwagon any time soon. We are just trying to get the information out there so people can make the best decision.

Not sure how the recharging would affect run time, but we can get 25 minutes of race time on a single pack (4s/6000, 1509/1.5Y). Our vehicles weigh in at 8lb/1oz. with a 4s/6000 pack. Lighter packs obviously reduce the weight. The reduced motor and ESC operating temps are for real though. I've spoken with Novak and even they say the same thing.

All of the nitro guys that we've talked to that are looking to convert to electric say they won't do it if it means giving up f/r brakes and nitro style throttle control (in turns and in air). That said, we see a lot current electric racers really hating the clutch idea for some reason. We feel there is room in the market for both methods (our conversions can be used with long shank pinions if you want), but we are offering what top level nitro racers have been asking for in an electric. We did a lot of market research outside of the current DIY electric 1/8th scale community.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I think there is room for both no doubt. My only issue with the Teknorc conversions is the fact that it appears they are mainly setup for the 1/10 scale sized backs, and not the longer packs that have been more common in 1/8 scale conversions. Other than that, I have heard really good things about there conversions.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cain
I think there is room for both no doubt. My only issue with the Teknorc conversions is the fact that it appears they are mainly setup for the 1/10 scale sized backs, and not the longer packs that have been more common in 1/8 scale conversions. Other than that, I have heard really good things about there conversions.
The inside dimensions on the tray are 150x50mm. Height is variable. You can cut the back and/or front wall out of the tray to use longer packs if necessary (maybe up to 160mm). We may be releasing another battery tray for bigger packs in the future. Our truggy conversions can definitely go longer, the buggies are a bit more cramped though.