R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-27-2003, 11:17 PM   #1
Tech Regular
Default Getting into Offroad

Hello Offroad Guru's.... ive been lookin around the web, and i am becoming keen to start Offroad Electric, ... buggy i think.

Can you give me pro's n cons of buggy classes, and 2wd or 4wd? pros and cons.. and any tips you'd like to share along the way.. thanks

Rob Storey
Carbon_Fibre3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 03:08 AM   #2
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Rob,

Electric off road is definately a good class to get in to. I have been doing it since i was about 8 and had to give up the sport/hobby when i went to uni. I have just decided to get back into buggies and bought a 4wd Losi. It had its first outing yesterday, it was great fun! Having been racing touring cars the chance to get a bit of air and negocite bumps was such a laugh!

Thats one of the pros of off road, but i also find the atmosphere at these meetings a bit more relaxing, we had a laugh on the rostrum and it was a really enjoyable day (until the rain came!)

As for con's it has to be the overshadowing popularity of the tourers. I'm not sure about Austrailia, but in the UK numbers are low although there are a prople coming back now.

Car wise i think it would be best to go down to your local track and have a nose around. What is the most popular class and chassis etc and go from there!

Hope some of this has been helpful

Chrissy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 03:27 AM   #3
Tech Regular

hey, thanks heaps for that, from what i can gather, numbers are dwindling in aus aswell, but im still keen.... mainly for the jump factor..

ok, thanks for your help, anyone else got some experiences to share?
Carbon_Fibre3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 12:00 PM   #4
Tech Master
Send a message via AIM to LosiFromHell986

Offroad is the best! I have only run onroad for like a month, which was my N4T Pro.... bad experience. But anyways, if you want a 2wd buggy, I suggest either a B4 or XXX. I dont know how long you've been in the hobby, but 2wd is usually better w/ not as much problems a 4wd... you probably know that, just my 2cents so if i were you, id go for a 2wd RC10B4
LosiFromHell986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 06:28 PM   #5
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ive raced off and onroad cars and i can say that at least in my area the offroaders have more fun

they are more relaxed and more helpfull than the onroaders who tend to be too competitive

i have seen fast onroad guys who hide their cars between rounds and wont answer any questions or even worse give wrong answers

when i started racing offroad i didnt know squat so i had to ask questions and i found that when i asked the fast guys they were quite helpfull

i have since decided to get out of onroad racing completely and now own 3 offroad nitro cars/trucks

with all the money i save not having to buy foam tires i can afford to run more classes and have more fun

i would recommend a B4 also if electric is what you want the 2wd class is far more popular than 4wd in electric or at least in USA it is

but my favorite class by far is 1/8 buggy love it its super fast jumps like crazy and best of all it is super durable the abuse i have put my buggy through would have killed many an electric car by now

i also think nitro is slightly cheaper than electric but that depends on the kinda stuff you buy

i know i have spoke with a few australians who race 1/8 buggy i would bet is pretty popular down there

but like the other guy said go to the track and check out what they are running you dont want to buy something to find out later there is only 3 guys for you to race against or at least i wouldnt
Paycheck to Paycheck Racing
Jason Miller
PTP Racing is offline   Reply With Quote