Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
newb..bought a xxx-t mf2..diff break in??? >

newb..bought a xxx-t mf2..diff break in???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

newb..bought a xxx-t mf2..diff break in???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default newb..bought a xxx-t mf2..diff break in???

hi all..
new guy =)
just ordered myself a losi xxx-t mf2..very excited..for some reason it was very hard to find a site that would ship a losi truck to australia, the only one i could find was stormer hobbies..
anyways, this will be my first kit build, but about my 9th rc vehicle..
any tips??
also i have been reading that i will need to break in the diff??how do i do this??
any help would be great..
cheers, matt

Last edited by more_eggs; 04-29-2008 at 07:24 PM. Reason: did not read comments in the first thread
Old 04-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Here is a complete run down on building a great diff. Build it via the instructions, just put enough grease on the diff balls to get them wet, no more. Put a whole lot on the thrust bearings though. Also make sure you shim the diff properly or you will have trouble later on. Mount the diff in the car & give the car like 1/4th throtle & hold one wheel for like 10 seconds while the other one spins. Take a quick 30 second break & do this with the other wheel. Repeat this process about 10 times. Now wedge a piece of cardboard between the spur & pinion gear so that it will not spin. Now grab the back tires & rotate them in reverse which will lift the front of the truck into the air. You want the slipper set so that it just starts to lift the front off the ground. If the slipper slips then tighten it 1/10th a turn & keep going untill it lifts the front wheels up. If the diff slips then tighten it up 1/10th a turn untill it doesnt spin. You want the slipper to always slip before the diff. Go out & pick up a can a white grease(it's like a heavey duty wd-40). If the diff ever starts to feal gritty then spray a bunch of this down into the cup where the thrust bearing goes & let it soak in there. Also be sure to frequently lock your pinion & spur so that you can check to see if your diff is slipping. If it is slipping then tighten it back up. The diff washers will start to grove which means that it can get too lose & burn up your diff.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

aaahhh thats awesome...thanks man..
jus one more thing, im sure this will be apparent wen i build it all, but how to i tighten the diff itself?and how can u tell which is slipping first??
Old 05-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

When the diff is slipping you will be able to spin the wheels & the slipper pads will not be moving. When the slipper is slipping the slipper pads will be spinning. The diff has a flathead screw on one side & once you mount it into the car you can pop the shock & tie rod lose on the side of the flathead screw. Then you can hold the other wheel still & turn the screw clockwise 1/10th a turn at a time to tighten it. Your goal is to have the diff nice & smooth while it still holds strong.