Wiki Posts
Search

Why Losi is making me an Associated Fan

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Originally Posted by air8
Losi didn't need to release a service pack because there were no major issues. Except for the need to relearn how to drive the 8ight. AE just had a minor flaw, either in design or manufacturing, that's it. So they did their customers right by releasing that service pack. Losi just did a good job of execution with the 8ight and avoided any major drawbacks.
the 8ight dont even get me started

front cvd keeps coming loose.. and wears out super quick.. the fix a mugen front cvd

arms.. tweaked on me by the time i hit a half gallon and were so slopped out it was crazy

diff bearing inserts. need the aluminum ones.. the plastic ones wear out then you strip diff ring gears.

steering servo saver arm. snaps at the most horrible of times..

cvd drive cups worn out at the 1 gallon mark..
shall i continue.
the 8ight series handles great but it wears out too fast for my liking.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K_King
Oh geez, can we make a section of this forum so people can complain about Losi instead of clogging up this section?

NO1 TOLD YOU TO READ THE POST IF YOU DONT WANT TO HEAR IT DONT OPEN THE THREAD
Old 04-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chewiefttc4

front cvd keeps coming loose.. and wears out super quick.. the fix a mugen front cvd

arms.. tweaked on me by the time i hit a half gallon and were so slopped out it was crazy

diff bearing inserts. need the aluminum ones.. the plastic ones wear out then you strip diff ring gears.

shall i continue.
Heat Shrink or GMK CVD Condoms are the fix for the pin problem. And after that the Center to Front CVD lasts about 3 gallons before needing replacement. And the Aluminum Rear Diff inserts are a must and making sure you have the new white orings for the shocks. That is the only problems I have had with my 8ight. I does tend to loosen up some but most of that is the steering ackerman bushings causing that and does not seem to hurt the handiling any. Actually having the buggy too tight makes it handle worse. Go figure.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxnut273

NO1 TOLD YOU TO READ THE POST IF YOU DONT WANT TO HEAR IT DONT OPEN THE THREAD
Or I can respond to any thread in here. Hows that sound?
Old 04-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K_King
Or I can respond to any thread in here. Hows that sound?
Old 04-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chewiefttc4

shall i continue.
Get 'em Chew master!
Old 04-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

wow
Old 04-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I didn't mean to start an argument. The OP made it sound like Losi didn't care about their products because there was no "service pack" for the buggy. But there were no "major" problems that needed to be solved. The shock seals was an issue at first but Losi came out with new ones.

I'm not trying to cheer Losi on, but I'm happy with the 1/8's they have out. The 8 and T are great for me. Of course, I've only started racing 1 1/2 yrs ago and these are the only 1/8's I've owned.

So I apologize again if I started something. LOL.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by olydemon
I've been running my CR for a few months now. At the start I broke some ball studs and turnbuckles as I relearned how to drive a new truck. Previously I was driving a Traxxas Rustler. I just recently had to replace the front assembly that holds the steering assembly because I snapped a few screws in the top part. I've had a few real hard hits on the wall and finally something gave way. Overall The truck has held up pretty good.

Right now I still have 2 minor setup issues. There is one hi speed 90 degree corner after the straight. My truck wants to spin out. I had some of the better drivers help me out yesterday and it made an improvement, but it still does it some. As i've learned there are so many variables its hard to say6 why I spin when others can rail the corner. I do need to swap my oils because I'm running lighter in the front than the rear. From what I'm learning this means too much weight transfers forward and makes my back end loose traction.

My other issue seems to be "pushing". I feel my car turns too wide compared to some of the other trucks, CR's included. Without getting too deep into setups, what would be the first thing to look into to reduce push and make the truck corner faster? I have a good high end servo so I don't think i need to change this.
Going from the inner to the outer holes in the steering bellcranks will increase the ackermann and give more steering. As will moving to the outer VLA holes on the front arms. Changing to yellow springs in the rear will help increase on power steering. You could also try moving your rear hubs forward (shorten the wheelbase) to help combat the spinouts.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Tech Adept

anomaly,
Have you checked your static weight and tweak? Half your jumping issue, not landing "true", sounds like it's coming from some sort of tweak.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by air8
I didn't mean to start an argument. The OP made it sound like Losi didn't care about their products because there was no "service pack" for the buggy. But there were no "major" problems that needed to be solved. The shock seals was an issue at first but Losi came out with new ones.

I'm not trying to cheer Losi on, but I'm happy with the 1/8's they have out. The 8 and T are great for me. Of course, I've only started racing 1 1/2 yrs ago and these are the only 1/8's I've owned.

So I apologize again if I started something. LOL.

I guess, I cross-threaded my ideas there. I'd like to see a service pack for the xxx-t cr. I brought up the Rc8 and 8ight because while I've been fighting this car, I've been looking ahead to the next purchase.

But, this thread has made me realize one thing and it's the beauty of a free market -- if a major manufacturer releases something that doesn't hold up (such as the ballstuds on the xxxtcr) -- someone else will come up with better ones to fit the ride
I guess I've been looking at it from the "Losi isn't going to support their product" standpoint -- and that's the wrong point of view. Once I cut the plastic on the bags, it's my piece of crap to maintain with no support from the mfgr.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:15 AM
Tech Master

There is no need for a service pack for the XXXT-CR. The ballstud problem started with the XXX-CR buggy and carried over to the truck. The solution is to go to a better ballstud and lower the ballstud height. I had to do the same with my MF2 which kept breaking the ball stud on the rear shock tower and my XXX-CR. The plastic seems to be fine in the kit. On a note for the 8ight, losi has been supporting the buggy very well. They have reengineered the oring in the shocks for a better seal, updated the diff cups to be more heavy duty, released better shoes for the clutch, revised the material that the rear outer pins is made of, plus they have release a slew of optional parts for the buggy and truggy. I have been very happy with my Losi 8ight.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cool

Your 8ight drove like a dream, that's for sure. Just for the couple minutes you let me toy with it, I'd forgotten how solid the 1/8's feel especially in cornering.

Your MF2 felt 100 x better than my Cr did.

I guess a large portion of this is I've been playing in 1/10 nitro toys for the last many years and not messing with the electrics until recently.

I did order the titanium ballstuds, but stopped short of getting titanium tierods in this round of ordering as those don't seem to be as frail. I may regret that this weekend, as the punishment will now be carried through the new ballstuds into the tierods.

I got home after driving your 8ight, jumped online itching for another 1/8 buggy, saw that AE had released a service pack and got to thinking about pulling the trigger on that -- and got pissed that I can't even get losi to send me the crap that should've come in my kit, much less release a service pack to address weaknesses.

you got pm.

Originally Posted by sport10
There is no need for a service pack for the XXXT-CR. The ballstud problem started with the XXX-CR buggy and carried over to the truck. The solution is to go to a better ballstud and lower the ballstud height. I had to do the same with my MF2 which kept breaking the ball stud on the rear shock tower and my XXX-CR. The plastic seems to be fine in the kit. On a note for the 8ight, losi has been supporting the buggy very well. They have reengineered the oring in the shocks for a better seal, updated the diff cups to be more heavy duty, released better shoes for the clutch, revised the material that the rear outer pins is made of, plus they have release a slew of optional parts for the buggy and truggy. I have been very happy with my Losi 8ight.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I got a mini-t pro a while back for just goofing around. Yesterday I took it to a meet n greet, and I was driving it around with the everyone else's buggies and trucks. Short version: Mini-T got nailed by three 1/8 scales in a row and it snapped a so-called 'titanium' turnbuckle.

Grind test shows it's some kind of alloy, not the real thing.

Gotta thank Losi for printing a misleading description on the box. Last thing I ever buy from them.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Sabin
I got a mini-t pro a while back for just goofing around. Yesterday I took it to a meet n greet, and I was driving it around with the everyone else's buggies and trucks. Short version: Mini-T got nailed by three 1/8 scales in a row and it snapped a so-called 'titanium' turnbuckle.

Grind test shows it's some kind of alloy, not the real thing.

Gotta thank Losi for printing a misleading description on the box. Last thing I ever buy from them.
titanium does not mean unbreakable

I am curious how you know that a metal is not titanium by looking at it?

I think getting hit by 3 1/8 scale vehicles is going to be pretty tough on any little 1/18th scale

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.