Wiki Posts
Search

lipo fire

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T
I think one of the cells may have been bad. The battery is only 2 weeks old and has 3 charges on it. I charged the pack last weekend and it sat for 6 days un touched. I took the pack off the shelf and as I was placing it in the buggy it swelled, fizzed and blew out a garage full of smoke.

It would have popped much sooner if it was overcharged and it was not punctured. If you look at the pictures the velcro is on the bottom to keep it from moving, and the cell that blew was on the top. It happend while I was putting it into the buggy and it was not plugged in to anything.

I mentioned this to Austin, over at Max Amps and emailed him the same pictures. He offered to ship me a new one immediately at no charge. So I cant really complain, other than it sucks that it happened and that I had to replace a couple of damaged things.
That's cool they are sending you a new one and you weren't hurt.

what kinda pack was it .. 3s or 2s how many mah ?
Old 04-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

double post.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Thanks.

It was the 6000mah 7.4v. Saddle pack for the B44.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up AE...

i got the maxamps 4000 pack raced once last sunday @ cap city rc and have practiced three times and no problems yet and hope not,in my B44! Oh all i can say about the B44 is it is the chit!

Anyways did maybe that battery arc off something or touch metal some where ????
Old 04-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

some of the paranoid airplane guys have rigged up charging stations with the lipo in the hole of a cinder block on it's side with a bag of sand hanging over it.

the thought is if the lipo goes up, the fire/heat melts the bag, and the sand extinguishes the fire.

little overboard if you ask me.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

heres a vid of a lipo exploding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCWdnjLqVWw
Old 04-23-2008, 03:18 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Attached Thumbnails lipo fire-26_002.jpg  
Old 04-23-2008, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by salteen
I've seen a lot of nimh fires/explosions and I have yet to see a lipo flame or pop in the whole time that I've been in this hobby. Personally, I've had a mini-t nimh pack blow up on the charger and just this past weekend had a brand new Trinity EP4600 nimh pack catch fire and melt the chassis of my XXX-t on its very first run:

I've ordered a lipo pack for the XXX-T...who knows what I'll burn up now
This one is due to poor construction. The little metal strips that were used to attach the 7th cell shorted out on the side of the battery. This is a known problem with this type of construction. The metal strips used can't handle the current draw so they get hot and melt the shrink wrap on the sides of the cells. I have seen this several times with 6 cell stick packs as well. The connection on the end of the pack, the one that connects the two sticks of 3 cells together, gets hot enough to melt the plastic end cap of the battery.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MaTt 93
heres a vid of a lipo exploding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCWdnjLqVWw

when you intentionaly molest and adulterate it, sure, I can see it fire. Again its operator error
Old 04-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by salteen
just this past weekend had a brand new Trinity EP4600 nimh pack catch fire and melt the chassis of my XXX-t on its very first run
Just want to ask if you noticed that text on almost every part of your car - graphite and what graphite is - electric conductor - try to isolate your chassis with tape first - i did it all time with my XXXBK2 to be sure. I have heard about melted XX4 graphite chassis on 12V car batery - it just did short circuit.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up AE...

those are some f***ing retatarded people that is making lipo's sound all bad i'd like to beat the f*** out of these idiots.you take care of your stuff and keep an eye out on loose connections or fraid wires i think you'd be ok,it is operators errrrrroooorrrrrs!
Old 04-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losidriver70
those are some f***ing retatarded people that is making lipo's sound all bad i'd like to beat the f*** out of these idiots.you take care of your stuff and keep an eye out on loose connections or fraid wires i think you'd be ok,it is operators errrrrroooorrrrrs!
amen.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losidriver70

Don't hold it in bro. You're amoung friends. You can say what you realy think!!!

BTW-I agree. People that do stupid things, then sue the manufacterer for damages/injuries caused by dumb$%!& opperator error should be placed in a burlap sack with rabid rats and tossed in an open sewer!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2008, 02:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i can't wait till i can go lipo. i'm paranoid about my batteries exploding! a nice swelled pack would be much better.