Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mamba owners speek up!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I thought this thread was suposed to be the mamba owners talking about why they like their system & not about what makes other systems good. For the money the mamba is 2nd to none @ any lvl of competition. Drivers have won large 2wd buggy events w/ the sidewinder system which proves that the system is more then smooth enough for racing. It also comes with a pricetag or around $135 which is great when you are trying to get new people into the hobby. Perhaps mamba is simply trying to meet their profit margins through the quantity of their sales instead of through the price margin. It's not a bad idea either since the system is about half the price of the other popular units currently on the market today.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

WOWzers I think that if you really look at racing that as long as you dont mind missing a roar race (or get a cheap brushed mod motor) that a Mamba or sidewinder is more than good enough. novak makes good stuff too thing is that little "roar" legal isnt that big of a deal. maybe 20-15 years ago it was but not now.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

who careas really i just dont use one for 2 reasons..... roar legality.... sensorless...... that's it

You may be thinking "But sensorless is fine... yaddi yaddi ya"

but you would be wrong considering i use novak motors and orion peak for spec classes and a mamba ain't compatible with them, well at least the orions are, but why not just have the motors everybody is using... i borrow motors from my friends when i go away too if they arent using them.

those are my reasons. It ain't right for me or my tracks rulez !!

Maybe just maybe castle could name there motors like 7.5 10.5 8.5 as opposed to 5700kv and 7700kv. That's kinda confusing to a new r/c racer.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Craps
I don't really care about Schulze or Sensorless Brushless anymore! I have progressed beyond that level of technology!
LOLOLOL You progressed past that technology, to what? a novak? Lets look at this for a moment. The novak systems weigh more, put out less power, handle fewer cells, REQUIRE a fan, and can only run sensored motors. How is that new technology. Oh ya, sensored motors are what was built before Schulze started making sensorless controllers.

It was flat out stupid of ROAR to blindly make rules based on the most limited view of technology that I have ever seen. Novak was one of the last people to make a brushless system, not the first. They just marketed it towards cars instead of other applications. Avoex, Lehner, Hacker, and Kontronik have been in the business long before Novak even started development on their crappy first system, the SS series.

From various other forms of RC I can see that ROAR's choice for motor construction is not the best. Dont even mention cost control or any other crap like that. I am so tired of people trying to dumb down this hobby and make slower classes so everyone can compete. I WANT TO GO FAST!! If they can't drive it then don't. Look at what is selling the best in our hobby, is it ROAR approved electric motors? Hell no, it is big, noisy, fast nitro cars that were built without a care in the world about roar. I want my fast, quiet, clean brushless that doesn't weigh 50 lbs and I can go race it without buying a whole new setup just to meet some dumb standard.

If we continue to follow ROARs direction, we will be running 3-cell (not lipo) cars that are wrapped in bubble wrap and have a speed limiter at 5mph. Wow this is starting to sound like NASCAR.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
who careas really i just dont use one for 2 reasons..... roar legality.... sensorless...... that's it

but you would be wrong considering i use novak motors and orion peak for spec classes and a mamba ain't compatible with them, well at least the orions are, but why not just have the motors everybody is using... i borrow motors from my friends when i go away too if they arent using them.

Maybe just maybe castle could name there motors like 7.5 10.5 8.5 as opposed to 5700kv and 7700kv. That's kinda confusing to a new r/c racer.
to a new racer how would they know the difference? any way you cut it is you have fast, faster and fastest. RPM per volt tells you actual speed what does turns tell you? Strict Roar rules based tracks are a majority or a minority?
Old 04-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It's funny, in all other forms of the hobby that use brushless technology, KV rating is the standard. But Novak chose to stick to the antiquated rating system used for brushed motors, they went w/ the 4.5, 6.5. ect........

Must be that newer technology Craps keeps talking about.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugenlife
to a new racer how would they know the difference? any way you cut it is you have fast, faster and fastest. RPM per volt tells you actual speed what does turns tell you? Strict Roar rules based tracks are a majority or a minority?
I don't know man i just said those were my reasons..... I dont run a e 1/8th sclae but if i did i would get a mamba.

My track doesnt carry mamba motors only novak and orion/peak... I am sure they could get it.

i dunno i have three spheres they are great and i got a bunch a trophys with them.... what more you want me to say. mamba's the minority at long island tracks, novak/lrp been in the game for a while.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

It's only a matter of time. The latest firmware has been out for about two months. It's like a new controller now. Much smoother. Smooth enough that I gave up my Sphere after two years.
Right now, I think the SW and MM are as smooth as the Novak and LRP system. Maybe things will swing back the other way when Novak upgrades their firmware
Old 04-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Key
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE

RB FIVE - Sensored technology have made some improvements lately with the introduction of the Sphere and GTB line of controllers but not quite up to the power, smoothness and feature rich Sensorless standard of nowadays.

Most high end sensorless esc’s contain over 20 parameters available for adjusting to the nth degree via a computer. The intentions are two fold:
a) To keep up with HUNDREDS of sensorless motors out there as well as to meet the demands of available LiPo formats (2s, 3s, 4s, etc..). Of Note - one of many reasons for using kv ratings as opposed to conventional motor turns.
b) Ability to perform updates/upgrades to the controller’s firmware through manufacturer’s website. This eliminates the process of having to physically send the ESC back and forth and is an added step forward for brushless (and LiPo) technology.

We are not putting down sensored technology in any way shape or form but credit should be given when credit is due. The MM is by far a more robust, smoother and better developed piece of technology when comparing to any sensored ESC out there to date - including the GTB.

Hiding behind the ROAR curtain and putting down sensorless technology is not a valid justification that someone can take shots at to an existing technology that is much greater in superiority than the GTB or Sphere.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well apparently ROAR doesn't care whether the motor is sensored or not.

Straight from the 2008 ROAR Rule book.

8.8 BRUSHLESS MOTOR RULES
8.8.1 Sensored or sensorless motors are allowed in modified motor classes. Only sensored type motors are allowed for stock and super stock racing.

Just some more food for thought....
Old 04-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 308 (100%+)

Here are some picture's of my mamba setup. I ran a GTB and 6.5r for two years and this thing is by far better made and smoother. This look is even cleaner!
Attached Thumbnails Mamba owners speek up!-pict6275.jpg   Mamba owners speek up!-pict6308.jpg  
Old 04-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scott54
Well apparently ROAR doesn't care whether the motor is sensored or not.

Straight from the 2008 ROAR Rule book.

8.8 BRUSHLESS MOTOR RULES
8.8.1 Sensored or sensorless motors are allowed in modified motor classes. Only sensored type motors are allowed for stock and super stock racing.

Just some more food for thought....
That's good news. I wonder if it was always that way or they changed it? I swear I saw only sensored motors all-around but I could've missed it.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

Ok sensorless allowed but what about slotless, Slotted design isn't very sensorless friendly
Old 04-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Tech Initiate

i got the sidewinder setup and it is cheap and amazing.
Ive never had so much torque i love mamba
Old 04-18-2008, 04:48 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kyle_Rcn3rd
i got the sidewinder setup and it is cheap and amazing.
Ive never had so much torque i love mamba
Can't beat the performance for the price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.