R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   BL motors sensor plug damage (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/217066-bl-motors-sensor-plug-damage.html)

Tekin Prez 04-14-2008 09:27 AM

BL motors sensor plug damage

How much of an issue is the sensor plug or wires getting damaged on BL motors?

Tekin Prez

cfwdude 04-14-2008 09:44 AM

If one of the wires is loose/missing, they make one hell of a nasty noise, and don't run well, if at all.

With the Novak non removable harness, if you can't repair it, you have to send it in for warranty repair work. Replacable harnesses would be nice.;)

Although, with 4 Novak systems over about 2 years, I've only had a loose sensor wire once, and never damaged the harness.

mattnin 04-14-2008 09:56 AM

I have owned 3 GTBs over about 3 years, and never had a problem with the sensor wires or harness becoming damaged or coming loose.

mrhenning11 04-14-2008 10:19 AM

At our track we have had a few wires go bad on the Novak system. Basically what we have done is buy an LRP harness and cut and solder a new wire into the Novak plug. I would really like to see a plug like LRP and Speed Passion used IMHO. FYI it’s the orange wire that seems to break. I know of one guy that bought the Deans micro 6pin connectors to help solve this problem.

Mark

CCristo 04-14-2008 10:32 AM

I've never had an issue with the harness on my Novak motors. I still prefer a plug though so I can use a different length harness in different applications. Having neat wiring with the long Novak sensor harness is sometimes impossible.

Wild Cherry 04-14-2008 10:36 AM

I broken a few. (Torn wires) 1/10 off-road buggy

Just replace it, no "big" on the Lrp...

K_King 04-14-2008 10:39 AM

A more secure connection would be nice, my 7.5 wire seems to come out too easily.

badassrevo 04-14-2008 10:45 AM

I have never damaged the harness or conector, but I have had it come loose.

Stallard 04-14-2008 04:36 PM

I have 2 years on both of my novak system and have had the plug come loose only one time, other than that no problems.

I do prefer the plugs on both ends, realy helps clean up the wiring.

RobbieS 04-14-2008 06:21 PM

+1 for removable plugs on both ends of the connection. I've never had a plug come loose or get damaged.

abailey21 04-14-2008 06:31 PM

Jim,

Make it removable like everyone else :)

Bike racer 04-14-2008 06:53 PM

LRP style for sure. Being able to have diff length sensor wires is a HUGE plus.

I've only been running brushless about a month and had the sensoe wire come loose from the motor once. In the ZX5 with the motor being inline a "lawn dart" popped the wire out.

Tekin Prez 04-16-2008 07:21 PM

It already has a plug. We were just deciding if it was worth the hassle of moving it to the top in the future or offering a shield.

I am surprised most esc's do not recognize a bad sensor and will run on 2. That is really hard on things... We do have the advantage of rolling to sensorless so you can finish the race without hardly noticing. If we loose a sensor or the plug entirely you might not even know it.

We also added a cool little feature for checking sensor operation. The top 3 leds light up relative to the sensors. You can roll the motor slowly and watch it happen in real time. Started as an engineering debug, but it was so cool we left it. Advantages of having an overkill microprocessor and 7 leds to play with.

Tekin Prez

jobo_ph 04-16-2008 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by TeamTekin (Post 4353974)
How much of an issue is the sensor plug or wires getting damaged on BL motors?

Tekin Prez

2+ years of being a loyal Novak BL system user and haven't had any issues, whatsoever, with the sensor wires or plug.

I also prefer removable sensor harness on both ends.

Originally Posted by TeamTekin (Post 4362158)
It already has a plug. We were just deciding if it was worth the hassle of moving it to the top in the future or offering a shield.

I am surprised most esc's do not recognize a bad sensor and will run on 2. That is really hard on things... We do have the advantage of rolling to sensorless so you can finish the race without hardly noticing. If we loose a sensor or the plug entirely you might not even know it.

We also added a cool little feature for checking sensor operation. The top 3 leds light up relative to the sensors. You can roll the motor slowly and watch it happen in real time. Started as an engineering debug, but it was so cool we left it. Advantages of having an overkill microprocessor and 7 leds to play with.

Tekin Prez

Looks impressive and after being shaken with the reliability of later editions of Novak GTBs that I read on the other thread, I'm keenly interested in your Tekin RS/RSPro BL systems. I plan to get one in the near future to try out. :)

Even with a USB plug to update the ESC firmware, please try to make your ESCs as water- and dust-proof as possible. I don't like ESCs where it's easy for dust and moisture/water to get inside the case like that of the Mamba (aside from my preference for sensored systems).

abailey21 04-17-2008 04:15 AM

Jim, when are you gonna send me your super secret sensor cable????

Attached to your super secret 8th system?:D:D:sneaky::D:D