Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
2009 Electric Offroad Worlds. >

2009 Electric Offroad Worlds.

2009 Electric Offroad Worlds.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

It sure does look like a new place yous have there. I sure hope it has a good turn out.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BradR
Exactly. Regardless of whether South Africa actually is safe or not, the fact that people are concerned about it is going to hurt the event.

Very few racers at the World Championships are professionals, so these events are a vacation for most of the participants. Therefore, the locations selected should be major tourist destinations. They should add to a potential participant’s desire to attend, not make them think twice about going.
I don;t think there are many "PRO Driver's" period......Most if not all full factory driver's work in the industry in one way or another......The only U.S. racer's who qualified for the Off-Road World's had to do so at the Nats. last year at Hot Rod Hobbies in 2wd and 4wd mod. classes from what I understood? ?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Given the lack of interest by the major manufacturers in funding their teams' participation / attendance surely IFMAR will need to make a ruling VERY SOON on whether the event will even proceed. With little representation from the US & Europe, it could be a bit of a farce.

Scotty P.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teddygoat
Chazz,

IFMAR have not blowen it! They have world racing (realising the US is not the centre of the world) and promotion of the sport in mind and as said before South Africa's cities are totally safe!

The United States is the Center of the world! Having gotten that off of my chest, I'll tell you that if I was invited to the Worlds in South Africa, I'd be there. I too travel quite a bit as an Aircraft Avionics guy. Most recently I went to Cairo for a job. I had a gun held up to me by police for trying to get my camera out to the airplane I was working on so I could take pictures for engineering. Most of Cairo was garbage and felt unstable. I was glad when my feet were back on American soil. In the Navy, we always traveled in packs. With my job, I usually travel alone.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

I don't know why everyone is scared of going to South Africa. If I were invited, I would go to this event in a heartbeat.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bshack
The United States is the Center of the world! Having gotten that off of my chest, I'll tell you that if I was invited to the Worlds in South Africa, I'd be there. I too travel quite a bit as an Aircraft Avionics guy. Most recently I went to Cairo for a job. I had a gun held up to me by police for trying to get my camera out to the airplane I was working on so I could take pictures for engineering. Most of Cairo was garbage and felt unstable. I was glad when my feet were back on American soil. In the Navy, we always traveled in packs. With my job, I usually travel alone.
Well Cario is dodgy at the best of times!
If you pulled out your camera here, you would more likely have people trying to join in with the photo. I've been in Mozambique and had border patrol firing AK47's around our vehicles, now that a little hair raising, I've also nearly been arrested for trying to photograph a bridge in Mozambique, they thought I might be doing recon to come and blow it up!
Now Those things don't happen in South Africa!
Old 07-28-2009, 06:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

All I know is that I'm not going to the worlds and it has absolutely nothing to do with safety issues!
Old 07-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up south africa is awesome!!!!

seriously, i made those comments about america being the best was just to rile everyone up a bit. my son..Chance Chapel, is a national level american driver that would give just about anything to have qualified for worlds in south africa. i wouldn't have thought twice about sending him there. from what i understand south african national parks are some of the most beautiful on earth. passing on a lifetime opportunity to see antoher country wether on your dime or or an r/c factorys would be crazy. it doesn't matter where worlds are, its the worlds..they will come.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

SQC049 - apply via ROAR - if someone who qualified does not attend - the spot is open to another ROAR member. In 2003, I submitted my (racing) resume and attended off-road worlds, even though I was not able to go to the Nationals the year before.

I think the economy might be more of an issue than security. The race is being held in the same area as a recent major international soccer tournament and next years world cup, so it should be too bad in that respect.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by travisimo
seriously, i made those comments about america being the best was just to rile everyone up a bit. my son..Chance Chapel, is a national level american driver that would give just about anything to have qualified for worlds in south africa. i wouldn't have thought twice about sending him there. from what i understand south african national parks are some of the most beautiful on earth. passing on a lifetime opportunity to see antoher country wether on your dime or or an r/c factorys would be crazy. it doesn't matter where worlds are, its the worlds..they will come.
Hi Trav,
I had good chuckle at your previous post, its good to get everyones blood pumping to keep a topic alive
Thanks for the kind words and it would great to see as many US driver as possible, after all we want a great show out here and without the worlds best we would feel we had missed out.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

While we can chat about it the sad part is that those key poeple who head up ROAR, BRCA and other european bodies dont make a effort to check and verify these claims and go by what they see on the news etc..

Its a simple matter of communication and you will find out everything you need to.
Ryan Maifield was one of the first guys i heard about who straight out said he wont represent the US because its too dangerous.
As a pro driver i would expect more professionalism and expect him or his team mangaer to communicate with ROAR or even contact the hosts.

For the hosts here in SA they are spending a lot of money to get teh venue sorted and all arrangements made. It would be a big dissapointment if there was a bad turn out and definate financial repercussions.

Hope all that qualified do there homewaork and do teh right thing...
Old 07-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

some pics.
in progress.

panorama pic.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

aerial view of the facilities which caters for onroad and offroad disciplines in both electric and gas formats.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Nice pics... should be great event hope all atend! Wish I could go......
Old 08-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs down

guys i have a bad feeling the u.s. teams are not gonna make it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.