Tekin R1pro in 1/8 scale - Answers Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin R1pro in 1/8 scale - Answers Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Team Tekin

A little more test video of our 1/8 BL Truggy. A small 1/10 private track we use for testing that shows these have the control and some serious rip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmHZcUo8o0Q

Tekin Prez
Old 04-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A picture of the actual controller would be nice Jim. What would it take to have a 12S capable controller made? A new standard has to start now, specially with this big 1/8 scale vehicles.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Team Tekin

That was just an R1 at that point, but they are the same controller and software. The only difference is the switchin BEC and different physical shape with heat sink and a top mounted fan

I hear you on the higher voltage controllers and we are looking at it. We have to finish up a few mainstream products first. It has been a long haul with 20+ new products in the last year...
Old 04-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
That was just an R1 at that point, but they are the same controller and software. The only difference is the switchin BEC and different physical shape with heat sink and a top mounted fan

I hear you on the higher voltage controllers and we are looking at it. We have to finish up a few mainstream products first. It has been a long haul with 20+ new products in the last year...
If I bring out my kits, they will be specifically made for 10 and 12S (Maybe more). I was thinking, I've noticed that your R1Pro has 2 MOSFET boards (I like to call them power boards) and I've seen a controller made in Russia that has a 300A controller http://www.markus-rc.com/sl300_en.html, there is also another guy who is making crazy 400A+ controllers. Would it be possible for you to add 2 more power boards to you R1Pro? GriffinRU has done some great things with the MM. I'm going to try an set a a sped record for 2S lipos. I'm going to modify one of my motors and I know it will need a lot of AMPs to get it done.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Team Tekin

Adding two more FET boards would probably double the cost of the R1. We'll see what we can accomplish with the RX8.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
Adding two more FET boards would probably double the cost of the R1. We'll see what we can accomplish with the RX8.
Hi Ty,

I sell electronic components and I know it won't actually double the cost. What double the cost is the cost of everything else, like keeping the business running, sponsored drivers which all adds up to a big overhead. I'm not being rude at all, I just know the prices I pay for MOSFETs (Not only FETs, but eveythis else) and my clients likes my prices even when I add my profits. I just want to know if it can be done.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Team Tekin

Doubling the fet boards does add significant cost since 48 fets are hardly free. The power boards themselves are also pretty expensive since they are multilayer heavy copper boards, plus the extra assembly time and expensive header pins.

There are technical challenges to doubling the number of fets as well. There is not enough gate charge current to switch that many fets fast enough. I have seen where people are doubling the power board on the MM and I doubt they are getting as much improvement as they think. The fets are likely all switching slower, causing additional heat and cross over issues. We spend a lot of time adjusting the gate switching and you cannot just double the fets and still have the right switching. The R1pro has 2 power boards and the R1 has only one power board, and we had to adjust the gates to compensate for proper and optimum operation.

We are also to the point of diminishing returns by adding more fets. The resistance of the pcb is higher than the fet resistance. We can get more power handling by adding the heatsink and forced air cooling then adding more fets.

Tekin Prez
Old 04-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Team Tekin

^^ Well said Prez.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Doubling the fet boards does add significant cost since 48 fets are hardly free. The power boards themselves are also pretty expensive since they are multilayer heavy copper boards, plus the extra assembly time and expensive header pins.

There are technical challenges to doubling the number of fets as well. There is not enough gate charge current to switch that many fets fast enough. I have seen where people are doubling the power board on the MM and I doubt they are getting as much improvement as they think. The fets are likely all switching slower, causing additional heat and cross over issues. We spend a lot of time adjusting the gate switching and you cannot just double the fets and still have the right switching. The R1pro has 2 power boards and the R1 has only one power board, and we had to adjust the gates to compensate for proper and optimum operation.

We are also to the point of diminishing returns by adding more fets. The resistance of the pcb is higher than the fet resistance. We can get more power handling by adding the heatsink and forced air cooling then adding more fets.

Tekin Prez
I understand the price of the items used are not free, but they are also not very expensive. I'm a independent distributor and you are a manufacturer. I sell to manufacturers and I know the prices we get the components are not like the prices you see from the catalogue distributors (You probably know them). I also have PCB clients who are starting to do more EMS instead of just the PCBs. I've been doing this for only 10yrs. As Patrick from Castle said in another forum, just adding heat sink doesn't allow you to get more power (Something like that). I know you need to probably use a driver that will put out more amps to drive the FETs, but I'm not an engineer and I know it can be done as seen in the link of Markus controller. All I was asking if it could be done and I didn't want to get in the engineering level as I said before, I'm not one. I know Artur (GriffinRU) thinks outside the box as you probably have seen what he has done and maybe he will say it's possible, but I wanted to ask you. All I asked if it could be done, leaving price and other technical issues aside for now. If I have made you guys upset, I apologize. I just know the prices I can get for components and I didn't want to get into that.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Team Tekin

I am not upset at all. Of course it is possible, but not necessarily the best way to do it. We engineer for each application and we do not think more fets is the right answer in this continuous load application when you consider cost, size and performance.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

I am not upset at all. Of course it is possible, but not necessarily the best way to do it. We engineer for each application and we do not think more fets is the right answer in this continuous load application when you consider cost, size and performance.
Ok. But the R1Pro with double the FETs actually has double the power and less resistance then the R1 and would a triple or quad power board controller be even better? The Markus controller has 18 total FETs per board and each power board seems to be rated at 50A. The 150A model has 3 power boards and the other have more power boards and seems to use the same gate driver. The resistance also goes down as well by adding the boards. I'm not sure if that same concept could work for a car controller, but if it does, it would make for an awesome controller. I just want a controller that will handle the load. How many AMPs does the R1Pro put out cont. and max? Like I mentioned before, I going to get a HV4.5 modified and might even use one of the following: 1506/1D 9900Kv, 1506/1.5D 6800Kv (geared to the moon), 1509/1D 6700Kv (Also geared to the moon), 1110/1D 9200Kv, 1112/1D 7200Kv or Mega ACn22/20/1 5500Kv (Might gear it even higher then the other).
Old 04-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Team Tekin

There is a point of diminishing returns. We think the R1pro is that point and maybe even over kill for raw power without heatsinking. I am not going to publicly explain how to make a good speed controller or comment on other companies that plug things together like legos.

Anybody can do math based on spec sheets. The specs are bunk because they rate everything at low temps and assume you are providing the heatsinks to maintain those low temps. As temp rises the spec ratings fly out the window. Continuous ratings are also bunk since nothing is continuous in RC applications.

The R1pro is rated at 208 amps nominal per phase. The pulse current is 636amps per phase. All well beyond what the batteries can provide and not realistic in an actual application. With 3 power boards the paper specs would go up, but not neccessarily the performance or power handling ability. I hope that answers your questions.

We engineer on the bench and test on the track in real race situations. Most people do not want or need to understand the details. They just want to squeeze the trigger and it goes, really fast, everytime. That is why you buy from a brand you trust and respect so you do not have to worry about things that keep me up at night.

Tekin Prez

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 04-23-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think we need to get back on the track of this thread. This is a "support" thread for customers that are running the R1's in 1/8 scale.

If you want to get super geeky that is more likely better handled over e-mail, not on a public forum. This argument/discussion will go no where....

My 2 cents.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

It's not an argument at all. It was a question if it could be done or not and it was a question regarding the R1Pro. I might not be alone when I asked the question and any information specially concerning the R1 in 1/8 scale should be open for any qeustions here and not in e-mail. This is a forum and is supposed to be used for such things. Specially when this is an answers thread.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Tech Regular

The R1pro is rated at 208 amps nominal per phase. The pulse current is 636amps per phase. All well beyond what the batteries can provide and not realistic in an actual application.

Tekin Prez

So, the rating of your ESC is based on spec sheet or is it "real world" data ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.