Bringing the hobby mainstream

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing the hobby mainstream

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Adept

You make a good point about the toy ideology, OG. Thats where better marketing comes in. An aggressive campaign showing the capabilities of electric and nitro RC. Two perfect venues for this are the Speed Channel (fairly new, open to new material for the channel, cheaper advertising than some of the more popular channels, dead on for the target audience) and Spike TV (most RCers are male so spike would hit a large chunk of the demographic as well).

Advert possibility

(Fade in action shots of RC car hauling ass in the dirt - no sound)

(Cut to close-up of front suspension - camera action: slow pan from bottom to top of front suspension)

Cue talent - voiceover
Talent: Independent suspension

(Cut to close-up of transmission - camera action: slow truck right)

Talent: State-of-the-Art transmission and drivetrain

(Cut back to action shot of RC car getting big air - no sound)

Talent: Nimble

(cut to action shot of the same car racing past stationary camera leaving motion blurs)

Talent: FAST AS HELL!

(Cut to more action shots of buggy doing stunts, cue upbeat rock music, cue sound of a screaming brushless motor. Speed shots and more stunts)

Talent: And its electric

(pause voice. music, action and sound volume increase)

Talent: One more thing....did I mention that its only 5 pounds and controlled by remote?

(cut to shot of full size buggy parking next to 1/10th scale buggy)

Talent: No. Its not a toy. Its a high performance machine no different than its big brother. Now put that video game controller down and go get one of these. You will never look back.

WELCOME TO RC! We hope you enjoy your stay.
(insert favorite manufacturer here)
Fade music
Fade to black.

Not a fully realized idea but you get the point. Stuff like this makes or breaks a company. I just dropped a million dollar idea there.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I see where your going with this and I agree with you. There could even be a radar gun showing the blistering top speed, which is faster than most in town speed limits, and or if they want to get fancy, show either a Electric or Nitro landing a back flip and or clearing a huge double.

Similar to motorcycle company street bike and or dirtbike / atv ads. I think it will work but you would have to sell that idea to one of the big dogs.

If you put the commercial out on your own, that would be weird, and ineffective. But if you can get Associated (example) to do that, I am sure the others would follow very quickly.

On a different note. There are so many bashers because there are not that many tracks. I built my own track when I was a kid, but it would have been better if there was some where to go and play.

I guess if you go back to the dollar thing, now that I am thinking about it differently. I do agree that $400 or $500 is a lot to spend on something that you just going to rip up and down the driveway. If there were more places to go, it would be a little easier to swallow the $400 pill to get started.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Tech Adept

Well this forum gets alot of attention from the big dogs. I am hoping that they see this and respond.

On the issue of tracks, I think the biggest problem is the expensive nature of property these days (economic woes notwithstanding). That why we really only see them in less populated areas. Where I live in NJ, property is at a premium. Even with the housing crisis, finding a home in a decent area will still set you back 400k. Commercial real estate here for something that can accommodate an RC track and amenitites could cost easily 25k per month. Then theres taxes and insurance. Most of those who would have a track do not have that kind of capital.

This is a great, constructive hobby that fosters a learning curve in both mechanical and electrical engineering as well as physics. A way to get around the added expense is to petition your local government and show them how cool this hobby is and see if they can donate a piece of a park where people can organize races. Anything that gets kids out of teh street and doing something fun, safe and constructive is usually a strong talking point for politicians. This will take the burden of track maintenance away from the LHSs and put it on the racers/bashers themselves. Every spring you can get together with your friends and you go to the local park where the town allowed a track to be built and fix it up for racing season. LHSs can organize club races without having to expend a lot of resources. I may try this out in my town.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Having more tracks would definitely help. The problem is the noise of nitro forces the tracks out in the middle of no where. This is why I like the improvements in electric because it makes having large, nice tracks more convenient to the general population. I subscribe to the if you build it they will come theory.

I used to race BMX on a national level and the major governing bodies worked very hard to encourage the opening of new local tracks. THey woud work with park districts, etc to get them open. I am not sure if ROAR or whoever really does this. I see the same thing now with skate parks. They are popping up everywhere as part of regular playgrounds. When facilities are available, it encourages people to try a hobby or a sport. Kind of hard to justify dropping $1000 on an RC car when the only place you can really drive it is in front of your house.

The only off road track in my area is 45 miles away. It is a great facility, but with gas pushing $4.00 a gallon it is getting a little ridiculous. I try to go on the weekend and once during the week. Right now, I am dedicated and loving the hobby, but I can see how this would be a major deterrent to someone who just wants to run a car on a track as opposed to straight bashing on a street.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Tech Adept

On the issue of Nitro/Gas, I don;t think they will ever have a chance for mainstream evolution. They are too noisy and disruptive. Thats not taking anything away from them. I may get one myself in the future. It is plainly obvious from a marketing perspective that electric is the gateway to going all the way. Nitro will simply go along for the ride and the demand for nitro vehicles will remain relatively unchanged.

No town is going to allow a nitro track in a residential area. No way. Sad but true. With brushless and LiPo, you get the same performance for less money and less noise and less maintenance. As the technology improves and as environmental standard increase, nitro will fade away. (I don't want this to turn into a debate a bout nitro vs electric. I like them both. I am just stating facts and the reality of what is the future of RC and it is electric.)
Old 04-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I lurked over this thread real quickly so forgive me if this has been mentioned, but what I think you bring RC into the mainstream would be the development of small cameras for the cars and some kind of camera-string system to catch all the action.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

on the topic of tracks and noise restraints the same goes for the airplane fields too. there is a huge surge in E aircraft because there is no noise polution.

at my local track, 5 minutes away. we have a asphalt course and a dirt course for 1/8th scalers. i have two LHS that are both GREAT. they each have their own parking lot races apart from the local track. all is well in my town.

the track is owned by the public park though, and is only open 6 hours a week for practice. there are housing developments going up all over so the nitro may be asked to coolit in a few years.

advertisements showing the power of the elec cars and the capabilities would be the way to go. specially on spike or speed. i am 25 and in the middle of the demographic for this stuff. i have spent who knows how many thousands in the last year on this stuff. so the reality is that most people will spend the money even if they dont have it, on something they love to do. marketing people away from tv's and xbox's is a whole other animal.
good debate guys
Old 04-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Tech Adept

I lurked over this thread real quickly so forgive me if this has been mentioned, but what I think you bring RC into the mainstream would be the development of small cameras for the cars and some kind of camera-string system to catch all the action.
It is already possible. They make a bluetooth camera for the PSP, I believe. All one needs to do is fabricate a mounting bracket in the car to fix the camera and you can watch it through the PSP. Badda Bing! You are playing FORZA OFF-ROAD IRL. Now take apart a couple of laser tag rigs, mount sensors on the bodies, use the 3rd channel on your 3 channel radio to shoot the laser, tape crosshairs on your camera and BADDA BING! you are playing Twisted Metal 1/10th Scale Edtion.

Hell skip the camera and rig a paint ball setup to your ride and go have at it with your buddies.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I wish I only had 45 minutes to drive to a track LOL! Right now, closest track to me with actual racing is about 120 miles. I have plans to road warrior it for the bigger events and maybe some club racing, especially if I can get someone to come with me or two so we can split the fuel costs.

Can someone explain what the Reedy Rules were and how they are different?
Old 04-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Tech Adept

OK. I am going to up the ante. The first company rep from one of the major manufacturers in here will get my donated time to help them come up with ideas for a campaign. Just supply me some copy and some art (logos, photography..etc - Hi-res) and I will put together a couple of full page 4-color newspaper ads as well as posters. Considering I easily get $85/per hour for that kind of work and add in other costs associated with developing new ads, this should be a no-brainer for them to jump on board with.

I have no problem donating my services as this hobby is awesome and I want it to be around for my nephews and eventually my own kids......if there is a woman crazy enough to reign me in.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by TomBlaze
OK. I am going to up the ante. The first company rep from one of the major manufacturers in here will get my donated time to help them come up with ideas for a campaign. Just supply me some copy and some art (logos, photography..etc - Hi-res) and I will put together a couple of full page 4-color newspaper ads as well as posters. Considering I easily get $85/per hour for that kind of work and add in other costs associated with developing new ads, this should be a no-brainer for them to jump on board with.

I have no problem donating my services as this hobby is awesome and I want it to be around for my nephews and eventually my own kids......if there is a woman crazy enough to reign me in.
Who are you? Donating your time, listen to this clown.

Don't you think the big R/C companies have a marketing department already?

You are not the first person to come up with an ideal of making R/C "mainstream", it is never going to happen. I love how you think you will be the catalyst of change.

Last edited by Aaron Waldron; 04-07-2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Language
Old 04-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Tech Adept

Who are you? Donating your time, listen to this clown.

Don't you think the big R/C companies have a marketing department already?

You are not the first person to come up with an ideal of making R/C "mainstream", it is never going to happen. I love how you think you will be the catalyst of change.
First off, get off your high horse. You do not have a clue. This was to be an intelligent debate and you have failed, good sir.

Secondly, their marketing teams are apparently failing.

Third, let me list some of the clients I have served at the branding level:

Washington Mutual - WaMu art
Pepsi Cola - New can art
McDonalds - repositioning the brand
Westin Hotels - I had my hands on all of their collateral through all stages of development
Four Points by Sheraton - total repositioning
Verizon - Production and promotion

I have 13.5 years in the creative/marketing industry so who are you to come in here with a chip on your shoulder? By the way, if you haven't noticed you were just put in your place. I suggest you stay there and let the adults talk.

Last edited by Aaron Waldron; 04-07-2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Language
Old 04-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great idea Tom. Anyway useless in here (Slovakia). If I compare how much earn you in America and we here - it's much easier to decide if to buy or not. Here when someone asks me how much it cost, after my answer just turn and go fast as possible away. For example what you earn here for one month you can spend on Losi XXX4 but without anything. Also I buy stuff from here (used) because it's too expensive for me (and I'm racing on pro degree - I'm national champion in few categories for 2007) to buy new one. Our country is also divided - capital city and cities around are rich but the other end of country is really poor (ok it's not Russia =o) ) in comparison. There are only about 3 rc car shops here and there is no chance that one of them spend money on advertisement in TV - it can't bring enough ppl to rc to be reliable. I still hope that it will be better here (more ppl, more money for rc).
Old 04-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One more thing - there is no way to be sponsored here. I can't even participate on European championship due to lack of finance.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Tech Adept

Great idea Tom. Anyway useless in here (Slovakia). If I compare how much earn you in America and we here - it's much easier to decide if to buy or not. Here when someone asks me how much it cost, after my answer just turn and go fast as possible away. For example what you earn here for one month you can spend on Losi XXX4 but without anything. Also I buy stuff from here (used) because it's too expensive for me (and I'm racing on pro degree - I'm national champion in few categories for 2007) to buy new one. Our country is also divided - capital city and cities around are rich but the other end of country is really poor (ok it's not Russia =o) ) in comparison. There are only about 3 rc car shops here and there is no chance that one of them spend money on advertisement in TV - it can't bring enough ppl to rc to be reliable. I still hope that it will be better here (more ppl, more money for rc)
I am pulling for ya buddy. Hopefully, any success here will eventually catch on around the world. Your English is pretty good. I was actually able to understand that. Good luck with the racing, friend!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.