R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-27-2008, 01:39 AM   #1
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default She'll be right racing team - dodgiest electric conversion ever!

Gday guys,

had an old duratrax nitro evader in the shed, managed to get some cheap parts to fix it so I thought why not?

Being an electric nut, I decided to toss the nitro in the bin.

Undid a lot of screws to remove fuel tank, engine, top deck and the little radio box at the back.

Next, you can go about this 2 ways.

The spur gear is 32 pitch, which is basically the same pitch they use on the old tamiya offroad electric buggies.

Either you can get a 32 pitch pinion for the electric motor, or take the spur gear off and bolt an xray standard spur gear on (87 tooth one the holes line up perfect)

I had an old engine mount from a Mission, which was used as the, well, engine mount.

2 holes drilled in the chassis, counter sunk and you can bolt the engine mount straight in.

Then its a matter of bolting the motor in, setting the mesh and mounting your electronics.

There's loads of room on the deck.

I found a 4700 lipo won't fit long ways, so it goes sideways in the middle (can be moved to transfer weight)

That's basically it.

As I said this is probably the dodgiest conversion ever, and I don't know how well it will last in a race, but it seemed to go great in the front yard. Plus its light as, so it should fly good.

The gear ratio seems about right for a stock motor, but I will have to test this further.

Anyway, on to pics!

Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:48 AM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote