lipo balancing

Old 03-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Default lipo balancing

I have heard that balancing isn't need from users, but the manufacturers say it is, can someone ellaborate?

Also, what is minimum charger that I would need on the market?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Balancing is necessary for lipo batteries. There are cells in lipo packs just like any other battery pack, they are just a different type of cell.

Some cells discharge slightly slower than others when in use and some cells charge faster than others when on the charger. Over time the cells get charged and discharged unevenly and the battery charger will pick up the signal that one of the cells is fully charged, even though the others may not be.

Over several cycles this can make your battery acutally operate at say 80%. Making your overall runtime much less.

Just like any other battery they do need to be balanced. Where the difference is, (as an example) with lipo batteries you can balance them once a month instead of each or every other time like you would a stick pack.

I hope that is clear enough, I ramble some times.

As for the charger. Your buying the best type of battery on the market, why would you try to buy the cheapest type of charger.

Get your self a good charger. They will last a very long time and it is money that is well invested. Most guys buy the Duratrax ICE charger. It is versitale, can charge any type of RC battery, easy to use, and if you ever decide to get out of the hobby they are desireable and you can easily re-sell it for close to what you paid for it. (versus buying something cheap that no one wants)

Just my .02
Old 03-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Sorry I forgot to add......

The minimum size charger depends on the size of the battery that you buy. If you get a 6000mah battery you will need a charger that is capable of charging a 6000mah battery.

If you buy a 3800mah battery, you will not need a charger that is capable of charging 6000mah batteries, but it may be a good idea to get one any way incase you upgrade your batteries down the road.

I have Max amps lipo's. I can tell a difference when I use the batteries for a while with out balancing them. It goes away gradually but after a balance charge, the difference in incredible.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

i use the orion 4800s , i know there are cheaper lipos , i think these are the highest quality lipos on the market , one reason for this is balancing , i balance mine every couple of weeks and it never takes over 5 or 10 seconds to balance , how far off could they be , ray
Old 03-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ray3619
i use the orion 4800s , i know there are cheaper lipos , i think these are the highest quality lipos on the market , one reason for this is balancing , i balance mine every couple of weeks and it never takes over 5 or 10 seconds to balance , how far off could they be , ray
I've been holding off buying a balancer for my 4800's....haven't needed one so far. I check each individual cell voltage of each of my packs after every race day. My packs are still perfectly balanced. You can charge each individual cell of the Orion's (and others with single 2mm balance port) to balance them. So far i haven't needed to http://www.teamorion.com/FAQ/Balancing+LiPo

B-MAG DOES RULE!!!!lol