R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-08-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default What is YOUR opinion on

If you make it through this post and reply with useful feedback, I'll let you race the truck after it is built, provided you live in the Toledo, Ohio area.

I previously owned 2 heavy T-Maxx trucks which I went mostly aluminum and thick plastic with. I had a Revo that ran stock. I still have an E-Maxx and I am thinking about going with a new truck that is brushless as I update the E-Maxx to brushless. I bash my toys as they are only toys and can be fixed most of the time. I like to race but have absolutely no racing skill. I can't go nitro as I am a computer nerd with no mechanical skills.

So electric is my home and brushless will be a new venture for me. I may convert the E-Maxx or buy a new Stampede to mod or build from scratch on 1/10th scale or 1/8th scale. It doesn't have to be any name. Might even be a complete custom. But it WON'T be heavy!

I want to make the chassis, suspension and such as light as possible, but that isn't easy. Take into consideration what materials are available, where they will be used and what will happen when used in any position.

Since I will have a brushless motor, weather resistant electronics, and 4WD I want to consider heat, flexibility and tensile strength.

Don't pick apart my uneducated guesses on what I would use, tell me what you would use and why!

I am thinking:
Chassis: Carbon Fiber because of its low weight and high strength with minimum flexing.
A-arms: thick plastic because I'm bound to hit a non-moving object and snap them, or cartwheel every time, but it won't cause much more damage and costs the least to replace.
Body mounts: Super thick plastic so it can be replaced as it grinds down on the concrete after a flip, and it flexes as I flip bumper-to-bumper.
Other parts like shock towers I have no idea.
Motor will be a Hacker C50 I think but not sure on the ESC, pins, etc.
I want to go big and speed and light on torque and have tons of play time.
I will have matched packs of 6, 7 or 8 cells and I might go LiPo.
This is my return from Iraq present.
PLEASE HELP. Anyone may also email me at my registered email address for this site which is japernia@msn.com.

Last edited by SGT Pernia; 03-08-2008 at 12:41 PM. Reason: My session timed out and I paniced and clicked wrong.
SGT Pernia is offline   Reply With Quote