Returning to hobby after 14 years

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TomBlaze
Based on input:

New battery http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLVG3&P=7

New radio http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ0773

I am cool with the motor. I would rather get it now than have to buy it later after buying an inferior one. I am very OCD about the quality of my toys. I will most likely just run it around on nice, even flat pavement until I get used to it again. It won't take long. My last RC10 was silly fast with the Joel Johnson silver dot signature series motor. I was easily breaking 40 mph with that thing maybe even faster. Its just been so long I cannot remember.

I am going to buy my nephews their own on thier Bdays. The older one is 16 so I think I will get him a basic Tamiya setup and the younger one will get a pre assemled mini one.

You really think I am gonna let my nephews use my R/C ride? BLASPHEMY!!! MY toy dammit! They get their own.

Thanks again guys.
I would personally go with this battery...
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRWF7&P=7

and this radio...
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPZT7&P=ML

but that's just me....

Everything else looks good

edit: BTW, why don't you go all out and get yourself one of these....

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSLD1&P=ML
Old 03-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'd go with a 7.5 motor instead of a 6.5. The 7.5's are perfect for 2WD mod buggy. I race at a medium size indoor track and everyone who runs mod buggy uses 7.5's. 6.5 might be a good choice if you're going to race on a large outdoor track....

Edit to add: I'd also get a Futaba 3PM 2.4Ghz radio with a Futaba s9452 servo or a Futaba BLS451 servo and a Trakpower 4900 LiPo. I'm happy with my Orion 3600's, but if I had it to do all over again, I'd probably go with the Trakpower 4900.

Last edited by Leodis; 03-07-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leodis
I'd go with a 7.5 motor instead of a 6.5. The 7.5's are perfect for 2WD mod buggy. I race at a medium size indoor track and everyone who runs mod buggy uses 7.5's. 6.5 might be a good choice if you're going to race on a large outdoor track....

Edit to add: I'd also get a Futaba 3PM 2.4Ghz radio with a Futaba s9452 servo or a Futaba BLS451 servo and a Trakpower 4900 LiPo. I'm happy with my Orion 3600's, but if I had it to do all over again, I'd probably go with the Trakpower 4900.
2nd what Leodis said.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Tech Adept

OK I am caving on the motor:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMGJ3&P=7

Thanks again for all the helpful input. Anyone know a good site that can give me the rundown on LiPo batteries and brushless motors. I need to brush up on my knowledge base.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

OK I am caving on the motor:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMGJ3&P=7

Thanks again for all the helpful input. Anyone know a good site that can give me the rundown on LiPo batteries and brushless motors. I need to brush up on my knowledge base.
Good choice but the 8.5 would be mine. I run a 7.5 in my 4wd and it rips.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Suspended

Talking

Originally Posted by SQC049
Nobody says it losses punch you idiot. The 3600 has a 25C discharge rate, the 3200 only has an 18C discharge rate. You figure out what this means.

I think you are the one that need to "get your heads at your asses". Tool.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Are you a fucking kid get your heads at of your asses i race against these packs every wed and sunday and i don't have a problem with the 3200 losing punch or getting out ran anytime !
I wonder how you are not banned yet.

It's cool the boss at work lets you post on the internet all day!
Old 03-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Suspended

Talking Damn jack and coke sounds goods right now!

Retired at 37!

Actually sitting in my computer office at home!

stuff bothers me when people think they know everything!
Old 03-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

+1 for track power lipos. They use enerland cells.

As for chargers, I would go with a hyperion 610i as it has a built in balancer.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the heads up on the charger. I will do little research into that. I am so pumped to get back into this hobby and to share it with my family.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

hyperion and trakpower are a great combination

http://www.BulldawgRC.com
Old 03-08-2008, 07:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE=TomBlaze;4239824]WOW. A lot has changed. I have been missing out on what was once my favorite hobby and am going to get back into it.

I also am getting back into the RC racing after about 15 years. I understand the elementary's of the sport, however, I have a question about the new Nimh batteries.

1. I am not into serious competition so I usually charge my packs before I get to the track to save track time. I understand the packs drop off some but how much would I drop off assuming I charge a couple hours ahead of time at 4 amps, then just before I use them bump them up at 6a. I really don't want to torture my battery packs at steady 6a charge but I don't think a 6a bump would do that much damage.

Anybody have an opinion on this? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Good Beer;4242583]
WOW. A lot has changed. I have been missing out on what was once my favorite hobby and am going to get back into it.

I also am getting back into the RC racing after about 15 years. I understand the elementary's of the sport, however, I have a question about the new Nimh batteries.

1. I am not into serious competition so I usually charge my packs before I get to the track to save track time. I understand the packs drop off some but how much would I drop off assuming I charge a couple hours ahead of time at 4 amps, then just before I use them bump them up at 6a. I really don't want to torture my battery packs at steady 6a charge but I don't think a 6a bump would do that much damage.

Anybody have an opinion on this? Thanks in advance.

oh boy! u did it now- ur gonna get the "go lipo"

i'm also getting back into it after over 10 yrs off. bulldawg rc has been great in answering all my questions and seems a good guy to deal with, when i'm ready to buy, i'll be getting the trackpower 4900's from him!
Old 03-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Good Beer;4242583]
1. I am not into serious competition so I usually charge my packs before I get to the track to save track time.
You sound alot like me. I'm more of a nitro guy but when I do race electric I always charged the night before and peaked at the track. If you're running modified this isn't to much of a problem, neither is running older batteries. If you want to run stock then it will not work and be competitive and you also need the best newest batts to be competitive.

That all said what you are describing makes you the perfect candidate for running lipo batteries. I just switched myself and they are great. Charge the night before and it doesn't drop off in voltage. You start and finish the race with the same power, even if the race is ten minutes you have the same power. Nimh is very quickly becoming old school now like nicad did. Brushless speedos/motors and lipo batteries are going to change how electric racing is. Heats and mains are already getting longer. And to me it is just plain more fun. If you are re-entering the hobby you might as well start up with the latest stuff.

The batteries are all good. I like the ratings on the trakpower, although I think the orions are coming out with a similar one too.. I myself got a maxamps battery because they are higher mah batteries. They just don't have that hard case like the others do.

You guys welcome back to the hobby and have some fun!!
Old 03-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

[quote=jbrow1;4243013]
Originally Posted by Good Beer
You sound alot like me. I'm more of a nitro guy but when I do race electric I always charged the night before and peaked at the track. If you're running modified this isn't to much of a problem, neither is running older batteries. If you want to run stock then it will not work and be competitive and you also need the best newest batts to be competitive.

That all said what you are describing makes you the perfect candidate for running lipo batteries. I just switched myself and they are great. Charge the night before and it doesn't drop off in voltage. You start and finish the race with the same power, even if the race is ten minutes you have the same power. Nimh is very quickly becoming old school now like nicad did. Brushless speedos/motors and lipo batteries are going to change how electric racing is. Heats and mains are already getting longer. And to me it is just plain more fun. If you are re-entering the hobby you might as well start up with the latest stuff.

The batteries are all good. I like the ratings on the trakpower, although I think the orions are coming out with a similar one too.. I myself got a maxamps battery because they are higher mah batteries. They just don't have that hard case like the others do.

You guys welcome back to the hobby and have some fun!!
Couldn't have said it better, I got back into racing in july and wasnt able to run lipo or a brushless system, so i ended up buying brushed motors and 12 packs, smarttray, 2 chargers, Jig, brushes.....lathe etc. So i rebought a brushless system and got some lipos and it is 10 times better. i went from bout 10 packs for 2 classes to 2 packs and i have more practice time.

NIMH you have to rest them equalize them, build them correctly to avoid damage. More importantly to be competitive in a spec class like jbrow said you have to really keep them fresh and not use the batterys too much in one session.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.