Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Your best advice for a complete setup... >

Your best advice for a complete setup...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your best advice for a complete setup...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Your best advice for a complete setup...

Hi all, this is my first post here! I'd like to know if you had to start fresh today, and didn't have those boxes of parts/radios/chargers laying around, what radio and charger would you buy? I've got a long history in R/C, but I've been out for quite a while...case in point, I have no idea what a "LiPo" is!

I've had a few AE cars/trucks, a few Losi cars/trucks, a Kyosho Optima, Futaba FX10, Marui Samurai, HPI nitro truck, and most recently (5 years ago) a ridiculously tricked out Traxxas E-Maxx (imported dual brushless before common in the US, almost all custom Ti and Aluminum, personally designed CNC'd wheels!).

I'm planning on a 2WD Losi or AE buggy or truck....4WD cars have caught my eye as well. Also planning on brushless....and probably NiMh batts for cost and ease of care reasons. Any ideas for a good value in radios and chargers? My favorite radio of all time was my KO Propo...I really miss that thing.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 03-05-2008, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Everything is great anymore..
AE and Losi are still top dogs in 1/10 scale, well even in 1/8 scale now in some people's eyes. If you search thru all the threads here you will get all the info you will ever need on about anythign rc. Just keep in mind everybody always thinks what they own is the best, so read many threads and opinions.

Brushless is awesome. Basically maintenace free and very reliable. I've been rnning the same gtb and 6.5 motor for three seasons or something like that in my T4. If I were to get a speedo now though I would go with the newest LRP brushless and fan setup, and still run novak motors.

Radios... So many good ones to choose from. I like my m8 for ease of programming. The m11 feels a little better to me. I also like the JR Z1 radio alot. It feels nice and programs easy too. Spektrum is the greatest thing to hit rc racing if you ask me. No antennas, no crystals, and I haven't had to wait for a frequency clip in years. Some of the companies have their own crystal-less systems. I'd recommend getting one of these systems if you can afford it.

I would also recommend going with a lipo. You can get by with one battery, two at the most. I do see guys with a bunch of lipos and couple chargers going, that to me makes the switch pointless. Will you be racing or bashing or both? With lipo you can get 20 minutes plus out of one charge if you get the right battery. Check out the hyperion chargers at amainhobbies.com you can get EOS 5i DP for 65 bux and it does most all kinds of batteries. You can get a balancer as well for another 40 bux. I just ran a lipo for the first time last sunday. It was nice having the same power at 10 minutes as I had the first minute. And there's no voodoo for the lipos either. Charge them, run em, charge em again.

Cars... AE and Losi are both top notch. Absolutely can't go wrong with either brand. Kyosho and Academy would be worthy cars too. They all make 4 wheelers now too. Just have to decide what you want to run and go with it.
Have fun!!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbrow1
Everything is great anymore......
Thanks for the info!

I've looked at that new Losi RTR...the speed-T I think it's called. Brushless, spektrum radio, super fast! It looks like swapping wheels/tires and shock towers would get me in the dirt with no problems...

I'll likely be bashing, but the possibility exists for racing....looks like the
speed-T would be a decent double-duty (road/dirt) option?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jubilee
Thanks for the info!

I've looked at that new Losi RTR...the speed-T I think it's called. Brushless, spektrum radio, super fast! It looks like swapping wheels/tires and shock towers would get me in the dirt with no problems...

I'll likely be bashing, but the possibility exists for racing....looks like the
speed-T would be a decent double-duty (road/dirt) option?
I would say if you gonna race buy good stuff the first time around, it will cost more up front but less in the end.

If your bashing that speed t thing is good.

Brushless/lipo is the way to go. It has made this electric side of the hobbie better then nitro. Long runtime and lots a power. super low maitenance.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Tech Champion

If you plan on racing, I don't think the speed t is legal. Too wide best I can tell. You would be better off with the xxx t cr.

If you want ease of use in batteries, my man you are a lipo fan. Do a little research, get a proper charger, they are awesome. Really only need 1, 2 is living large. Orion and TrakPower are great choices.

I still use an original KO EX-1, love it too. But the new Spektrum stuff is excellent as well, no frequencies to hassle with.

Welcome back!