Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New guy want to switch to brush less ?s

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 02:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? New guy want to switch to brush less ?s

I just got a losi xxxt 1/10 rtr stadium truck not to long ago and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I would like to get in to racing a little bit more and get a faster brush less motor and speed controller. I was wounder what set up some of you guys who race have or any suggestions on what to get. Like what brand, How fast, and what size lipo batt to go with the setup. Any help is aprichiated.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jerm
I just got a losi xxxt 1/10 rtr stadium truck not to long ago and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I would like to get in to racing a little bit more and get a faster brush less motor and speed controller. I was wounder what set up some of you guys who race have or any suggestions on what to get. Like what brand, How fast, and what size lipo batt to go with the setup. Any help is aprichiated.
Racing doesnt mean you need something faster, a "slower" truck can produce faster lap times more often than not. As a starting racer, I would reccomend you look at the LRP/Orion combination. The LRP Sphere Comp is a great speedo, and an Orion 13.5 will be a great starting point for breaking into your local stock class. Be sure to make sure that your track does indeed run a stock class, and that the 13.5 is the motor they consider stock though. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Addict

Andy Moore is right, Most off-road guys don't go brushless for the power, they go for the efficiency, runtime and lack of maintenance, the added power is a bonus. What setup do you currently have? What gearing? As far as options, you got a few. Probably the best would be either a 10.5 Novak/LRP sensored or the sidewinder 4600 for you. they are good systems and geared right, Will probably be slightly faster than what you got, but not so much that you are bouncing off the walls. Depending on the setup you currently have, you might see a good 10 MPH increase compared to what you have now
Old 03-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

get a sphere or gtb with 13.5 brushless motor, it will give you consistancy and super low maintenance. Longer runtime too.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the help I think i have a 19 turn motor in there right now I also wanted to know about batteries i think i would like to switch to lipo I've heard they have longer run time and are just over all better what size would you suggest for that setup.

Last edited by jerm; 03-03-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

These guys are right on the motor. I went from a brushless MM5700 down to a stock 27turn brushed motor, so I can race in the Stock class. With my MM5700, I would have to go in the Mod class, and I would just be in those guys way, and not learn much.
On the battery, my track allows the soft side Maxamps, so that is what I went with, a 2s 6000mah. I was getting oevr a half hour with the MambaMax motor, and I have yet to see the run times with the brushed. I am guessing about the same, the MM is more efficient brushless, but has way more power, so I think it will be a wash, or close to it.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Tech Addict

I was going by what i know about most RTR's, the 4600 or 10.5 sounded like a good fit (10.5 is standard, without the sintered rotor in the Losi xxx-t). If you plan to race, the 13.5 would indeed be a better choice. Personally, I like the run what you brung aspect of modified, Evev though i run a 4600
Old 03-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

For racing, you should first go to your track that you are planning to race and find out what is legal for the class you are interested in.

As for what setups to get, again this depends on what is legal. lets say your track is pretty open on lipos and brushless setups. For the money, the Castle Creations Sidewinder ESC and motor combo (I would go with a 4600 starting out) should work quite well, and I have seen it for $130.

If you need something that is ROAR legal as far as the motor, Novak has some nice budget units out there as well. for them, a 13.5 seems to be a common starting point and is going to be next years 19T / Super Stock class motor I believe. LRP has stuff too coming out or already our (ERASER?) Are they as great as there all out racing stuff, No. but if you are budget minded, its a great way to get going. And as I undestand it (others jump in if the ESC is an issue still), the main thing you would change out for later on if you need it is a sintered rotor.

As for lipos in an open world, you have a good variety to choose from. I would go with something that is at least 15C or better, and try to stay 4500mah and above. The Maxamps 6000mah pack really fits the T4 spot well and should do the same on your XXXT. Also, the hyperion 5350 16C pack will fit as well from what I understand and uses enerland cells. You will get long runtimes as well, and both of there weight I believe will require little to no adding of weight to your vehicle.

Now, if you need a hardcased lipo, there are more options as well. I currently have a Trakpower 4900mah lipo, and I have been quite happy with it so far. It uses enerland cells, and the new ones are rated at 25C. For the money, I feel is a great pack and liked it so much I bought the cells in a 4S configuration for my 1/8 scale buggy.

As for maxamps, there new hardcased (not skinned) pack has a weighted case, so it will give you the similar NIMH weight that guys are adding weight to achieve.

Trinity has a built in LVC in there pack, something to consider if you get an esc without LVC.

Orion uses the top of the line Kokam cells. I would probably go with there 3600 pack if using there stuff.

And also Reedy should have something out soon too!

Alot to choose from.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Champion

Keep in mind that the new ROAR stock rule for brushless is 17.5, not 13.5.

And to start out with that is the way to go. You will run quicker laps, crash a little less, and learn more this way. Even if you run modified and take it easy, you will get run over by the guys with less brains. Trust me there are a lot of US out there, LOL!

After you prove you can run clean races, repeatedly, then worry about faster motors and such. Start with the right tires, check around the track you plan on racing at to see what works. Learn basic suspension setup, gearing and such. And practice, it ain't as easy as it looks. But it is fun! Then you will be able to actually use the increased motor.