R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #16
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stitchy View Post
wow that is cool. With the 4800, you don't get nervous about running out of juice during the main? How do you make sure you'll last?
I just recharge after the 2nd qualifier, You can just top these batterys off.

think of them as electric gas tanks. Nimh you have to peak them and discharge them and then equalize them. I travel much lighter and run 2 classes with with 2 batterys (orion 4800's) although i want one more a 3600, those have more rip but less runtime. I love lipo's. The power is also so consistant for at least 20min.

I use to bring 10 nimh matched packs with me, Now i use 2 lipo's... Nuff said.

I race with sqc049 and what ever he is doing he is fast, he is my one of my main rivals........
Island Raceway & Hobby / Lucky7 / Team Bad Guys
Jason Pelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #17
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i'm trying to decide between the 3600 and 4800. I'm wondering if there's a big difference in power. Do you guys use balancers? Of course it's good to be on the safe side, but I've heard these packs don't need it.
stitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:33 PM   #18
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i have to agree with RB. If you are starting out then do your best to go lipo. I also have two lipos. Maxamps 6000. One for truck and one for buggy. And I just put them on the charger at least one time through the night just to make sure they'll be ready for the main.

Example; when I first got these lipos I used the timer on my radio to see what kind of runtimes to expect. So when the radio was at 20 minutes I went to the pits to recharge the battery. When the charger was finished it had put back 3200 mah into a 6000. So it was over half-way discharged. This was in my T4 using a GTB and Novak 5.5Velociti motor. Just awesome.

Previously I thought the Wade already purchased Nimh cells, so I was telling my Nimh cycles. With lipos it's much easier. I'd suggest going that route if you don't have Nimh yet.
--Driver...you are cleared into the track.....Smoke On.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #19
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Wade, charge them all the way. Especially if you are playing and run them down. Which I think is what you are doing, could be wrong.

If racing, they probably aren't ran all the way down, and you might be able to get away with not charging them back up. Ni-Mh self discharge on their own, just sitting there.

And I agree with all of the lipo fans, they are awesome. Which is why if you do get a new charger be sure it's lipo compatable, its common now and many of them are fairly inexpensive. And yes, ya can just recharge them right away. Only need 1 for racing. But play will still need a couple, you don't have to wait around for your next heat. And DO NOT run them all the way down, they die.

I'm guessing that RB also has brushless, uses less battery time. Might be pretty tight to get through a race day with brushed motors. We run stock off road, a 5 minute heat with brushless 17.5 uses around 700Mah, brushed burns about 1100 to 1200. Of course modified would be higher.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote