R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Better battery for off road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/207755-better-battery-off-road.html)

Applesauce 02-25-2008 03:03 PM

Better battery for off road

should i go with lipo or nimh?

Dave H 02-25-2008 03:19 PM

Lipo is ready for prime time in my opinion. Now ROAR legal if it's hard case, well they also have to go through the certification process. Orion is there I beleive, TrakPower/FlightPower should be soon from what I hear. and TP has a saddle coming. Don't know about MaxAmps, but I can't believe they can ignore it. And they already have saddles.

Do a little research, be sure to use a proper charger, many of which are fairly inexpensive. Don't discharge all the way. Best to get a balancer. You really only need 1 per vehicle. They are expected to stay more stable and last longer than Ni-Mh. No cycling.

Why not I figure, I stayed on the sidelines for a while, now can't even imagine going back.

Good Luck!

losidriver70 02-25-2008 03:25 PM

TEAM LOSI RACING RULES!

Lipo and never going back to nihm absolutely not!

Lipo/Brushless is the only way to fly.Good luck!:nod:

professorjason 02-25-2008 03:28 PM

depends

no brainer, lipos... notice alot of novak gtx brushed speed controls and alot of smart trays and motor lathes for sale? I keep telling the guys at the track ... lipos and brushless are the way of the future ... the latest Nimh arent that good either and arent cheap...

lipos opposed to Nimh: 1. lighter weight (like less than half)
2. larger capacity (higher mah)
3. no discharging
4. longer life
and basicly more voltage and runtime with less weight and volume of Nimh

Dave H 02-25-2008 03:58 PM

At our track it ain't the future, it's gotta be 75% and growing by the week.

MetalShield 02-25-2008 04:36 PM

MAXAMPS the best bang for the buck!

rcflgator 02-25-2008 05:11 PM

i buy from Bulldawg RC. He is a good guy and races at my local track. Not to mention his prices are great.

http://www.BulldawgRC.com

_pilot_ 02-25-2008 09:53 PM

LIPO, nimh is going the way of the dinosaur's

Dave H 02-26-2008 03:39 AM

Hey professorjason, wanna buy some big spurs/small pinions?

Yeah baby, this new direction is awesome.

grapejuice 02-26-2008 06:55 AM

After having two nimh's go bad in one week, I'll never go back to that. Raced for the first time with lipo last Saturday and all I can say is WOW!!!!

johnnyboy 02-26-2008 07:10 AM

I laugh at my buddies at the big races when they are up all night discharging, equalizing....chargers and dis-chargers everywhere (and like 8 packs) in the room while I am fast asleep, my lipo's re-peaked at the track before we even left. I will NEVER go back!

Jason Pelletier 02-26-2008 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyboy (Post 4206925)
I laugh at my buddies at the big races when they are up all night discharging, equalizing....chargers and dis-chargers everywhere (and like 8 packs) in the room while I am fast asleep, my lipo's re-peaked at the track before we even left. I will NEVER go back!

This is why i love lipo's...... 2 packs do the job of 10 nimh packs. I am ready to race in 60 min. Your lipo plates are building steam at my track. at first the guys didnt think they were worth it until they tried to find some plates. now they realize how unique your ss plates are. thin and nice, fit like a glove. thanks johnny.

not home 02-26-2008 04:48 PM

lipo's pretty nice to have if you'd got the cash for it. i wont be going lipo for a long time to come.

VOODOO+ 02-27-2008 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyboy (Post 4206925)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE (Post 4207799)
This is why i love lipo's...... 2 packs do the job of 10 nimh packs. I am ready to race in 60 min.

Originally Posted by not home (Post 4208439)
lipo's pretty nice to have if you'd got the cash for it. i wont be going lipo for a long time to come.

My 2 lipos cost a lot less than the 4 NiMh packs, dis-charger and balance tray they replaced. Cost is really not a valid excuse for not making the switch. :)

dubum 02-27-2008 09:02 PM

Cost is an issue for sure! I bought 4 Maxamps 11.1v 8000mAh lipos and it cost $720! That was with a great deal on 2 of them!!! My wife hates me:(